Are specialty restaurants getting too dear?

Gerko

Just noticed that dinner in Salt Grill on P & O is now $49 per person with an asterisk that says "some items on the menu may be at additional charge". So now you're paying your cruise fare which includes food, plus $49pp and still you may have to pay a third time to get something. When ships started with specialty restaurants they were usually a $10 surcharge. Are they now getting out of hand or do you think they're worth it?

Just noticed that dinner in Salt Grill on P & O is now $49 per person with an asterisk that says "some items on the menu may be at additional charge". So now you're paying your cruise fare which includes food, plus $49pp and still you may have to pay a third time to get something. When ships started with specialty restaurants they were usually a $10 surcharge. Are they now getting out of hand or do you think they're worth it?

We cruised P&O in September and purchased the special occasion package which comprised dinner for two in Salt, a bottle of Moet & Chandon NV Brut Imperial, a box of chocolates and $50 OBC for $159, which I saw a good value. :) A check today shows that package is now $259!!:eek: Restaurant goes up $10 pp but package increases $100! :confused: Not good value now. I am glad I experienced Salt on earlier cruises, as I doubt we will in future. Princess still charges $20 for the Sterling experience.

Edited by By The Bay

My belief is that the P&O specialty restaurants are more expensive than those on other cruiselines -- P&O UK, Cunard and RCI have been our experience.

Having said that - if you really want to go to Salt Grill -- go to lunch, not to dinner -- $35 as opposed to $49, easy to make reservations. In fact - that is the general principle of cruising -- do things when the rest don't want to do them. EVERYBODY wants to eat at 12 Noon ( so eat at 11.30AM :eek::eek:-- EVERYBODY wants to get ready for dinner at 5 PM (thus the ideal time to spend out the back of Pac Dawn in the spas.)

You have to think smart on these cruiseships - and don't follow the herd!! :) Early dinner ??? -- only for the herd!! :)

Barry

My belief is that the P&O specialty restaurants are more expensive than those on other cruiselines -- P&O UK, Cunard and RCI have been our experience.

Having said that - if you really want to go to Salt Grill -- go to lunch, not to dinner -- $35 as opposed to $49, easy to make reservations. In fact - that is the general principle of cruising -- do things when the rest don't want to do them. EVERYBODY wants to eat at 12 Noon ( so eat at 11.30AM :eek::eek:-- EVERYBODY wants to get ready for dinner at 5 PM (thus the ideal time to spend out the back of Pac Dawn in the spas.)

You have to think smart on these cruiseships - and don't follow the herd!! :) Early dinner ??? -- only for the herd!! :)

Barry

Agreed.:D

Barry

Good advice. I'm doing that next safety drill. :D

I thought Salt Grill was good value for $40. However, even though it's just a small increase, I question whether I would go there again as a result. RCI's specialty venues were great value for money. That being said, I wasn't fussed on Izumi and would give that a miss next time.

Edited by finetuneit

Ha ha :). We are already trying to strategically out think the rest of our cruise mates as to when the herd will be doing various activities! My problem is a lot of the "advice" on this site is for a poxy Caribbean 5 day cruises out of the US with no relative comparison to the demographic we are cruising with!

We are sailing over Christmas, so know there will be kids n families galore. It's out of Brissy so a lot of bogan qlders (:p I use that term with affection not insult)! Even though it's not P&O! Not sure if the Zimmer frames will be so prolific.

Either way, we are happy to do our own thing & know this time of year will be crowded. I suspect we will be crushed in the herd and enjoy it nonetheless!

There is never a charge for the speciality restaurants on a Regent Seven Seas ship.:)

That's because, at the prices they charge for a voyage, you are basically buying the entire vessel!!! :)

Barry

That's because, at the prices they charge for a voyage, you are basically buying the entire vessel!!! :)

Barry

It can be said they are good value.....

dependant of course , on how each one of us views value.

I have seen excercises where if you were to book a suite on a mass market line and then pay for all the extras on top of that again , a cruise on a luxury ship can be a way lot cheaper. Regent now offer, Free speciality Restaurants, Free drinks, Free shore tours, Free air,(for us that does not apply , so we get a further discount ).

As a testament to just what good value some of their cruises are, the lowest grades(all suites) are usually sold out well in advance.

On Regent there is also the incentive that there is never a line .:Dand the staf never say NO.

It can be said they are good value.....

dependant of course , on how each one of us views value.

I have seen excercises where if you were to book a suite on a mass market line and then pay for all the extras on top of that again , a cruise on a luxury ship can be a way lot cheaper. Regent now offer, Free speciality Restaurants, Free drinks, Free shore tours, Free air,(for us that does not apply , so we get a further discount ).

As a testament to just what good value some of their cruises are, the lowest grades(all suites) are usually sold out well in advance.

On Regent there is also the incentive that there is never a line .:Dand the staffnever say NO.

I like the sound of that, not sure if I like the prices though.:D

On any cruise you can eat almost 24/7 until it's coming out your ears. All included.

Why pay $49 for a meal ?

Maybe P&O are saying our regular food is crap so give us $49 and we will give you a better meal.

Edited by yatchet

A company will only charge a ridiculous fee for services is they get customers stupid enough to pay their ridiculous high prices. My guess is that any price rise is a reflection of what you the passengers are prepared to pay. Obviously the numbers of people prepared to pay that price would greatly outnumber the people who use these forums.

A company will only charge a ridiculous fee for services is they get customers stupid enough to pay their ridiculous high prices. My guess is that any price rise is a reflection of what you the passengers are prepared to pay. Obviously the numbers of people prepared to pay that price would greatly outnumber the people who use these forums.

Agree. The consumer will determine if the price is too high. P&O are probably just taking a gamble to see if it works. It may or may not pay off. Just like when they didn't put 'The Dome' in the Pacific Jewel. That (as we know) was a horrific failure & they had to rectify it.

Salt Grill was the highlight of my last P&O Cruise. But personally, I think $50 is too much.

Agree. The consumer will determine if the price is too high. P&O are probably just taking a gamble to see if it works. It may or may not pay off. Just like when they didn't put 'The Dome' in the Pacific Jewel. That (as we know) was a horrific failure & they had to rectify it.

The Dome wasn't in the Pacific Jewel when P&O inherited her from Ocean Village. Don't blame P&O for the conversion. It's great that they have made alterations.

Edited by Aus Traveller

But you don't HAVE to pay any extra to get something. Just eat in the dining room or buffet;)

The service charge is not always to cover costs, it is used as a filter to limit numbers using the facility:D

That's a dual purpose, as excess demand means it's priced too cheaply, like the cruise itself.

But the extra upcharges such as restaurants are purely revenue measures - but that's all part of the capitalist model. ;)

Salt Grill is good but there is no way I could ever justify a $49 cover charge for the experience, for only a small amount more you can just dine at Luke Mangans restaurant in Sydney where mains are around $50-80. When we tried Salt Grill it was $30 for dinner and as much as I enjoyed it I probably wouldn't do it again.

The way I see it you're already paying in your cruise fare for dinner so the cover charge should be considered more as a supplement on top not charging near what you nearly would pay for the same experience at a restaurant at home.

Also, I know Mangans restaurant is expensive but even in Sydney you can go to a lesser known restaurant that still has excellent food for less than $49.

At $49 I would much prefer to do the chefs table at $75 which includes a galley tour, photo with head chef, 7 course degustation (delicious) paired with wine and is just a totally unique experience.

All cruise ships are pushing these specialty restaurants these days and I'm worried that the MDR food is going to suffer as a result to try and force you to pull out your wallet, for that reason tend to avoid them now.

My answer to your question is YES!

Those that have done a full private Gally tour of many cruise ships will know that your speciality steak is cooked on the exact same griddle by the exact same cook as the spotty teenager ordering a very well done included in the price steak while seated in MRD lol

Ambience demands dollars, experience is worth plenty, food is just for eating lol

:D:D:D

Well -- anyway -- we are all here only for a good time and a short time. So don't sweat the small stuff -- like whether or not you think the addon restaurants are too expensive or not! :) Just don't go -- as somebody implied, it isn't compulsory!

We like to try out these specialty restaurants once on each cruise -- just for something different to do. As I said elsewhere, Luke Mangan probably is the most expensive add-on we have dined in (including the one on QM2 which we didn't think was all that great anyway -- but we are still happy we did it)

The food in the various MDR's is OK and perfectly satisfactory -- however it pales in comparison to that served in Luke Mangan restaurant on PD. I would sell my first born if that is what I had to do to have another plate of their scallops!! And there also is no comparison between the steaks served there and what is served in the MDR (on PD at least) -- even if they are all cooked in the same place by the same chef (which by the way-- they aren't!!!!!)

Barry