Two cruisers under 21 in seperate staterooms question

My DH and I will be cruising with our 19 year-old DD and her BFF, age 18.

When booking, do DH's and my name have to appear in separate reservations? In other words...whenever we sail DCL, my name has to appear on the same reservation as my daughter's friend, and DH's name has to appear with my daughter's. We then get new key cards at guest services. (I can't remember, but I think it's the same on CCL.)

Thank you!

If their cabin is directly across the hall, or right next door, to your cabin, then they can have their own reservation and it is not necessary to book one adult in each room.

You cannot book it this way online. You need to call.

My DH and I will be cruising with our 19 year-old DD and her BFF, age 18.

When booking, do DH's and my name have to appear in separate reservations? In other words...whenever we sail DCL, my name has to appear on the same reservation as my daughter's friend, and DH's name has to appear with my daughter's. We then get new key cards at guest services. (I can't remember, but I think it's the same on CCL.)

Thank you!

Royal allows guests under 21 to be booked by themselves as long as their stateroom is next to or across the hall from yours.

Royal allows guests under 21 to be booked by themselves as long as their stateroom is next to or across the hall from yours.

I believe this only applies to your own children. Since BFF is not your own daughter, my understanding is she cannot be merely next to or across the hall, an adult must be booked in the cabin with her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe this only applies to your own children. Since BFF is not your own daughter, my understanding is she cannot be merely next to or across the hall, an adult must be booked in the cabin with her.

We did it (room across the hall) twice with our daughter and her friends.

Edited by clarea

This is the thread where I learned of the age policy: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1635089 It was over a year ago, but it stuck with me because I felt so badly that the poster's cruise had to be canceled due to unrelated minors in room next door.

Here is the policy on RCL's website:

"For voyages originating in North America:

No Guest younger than the age twenty-one (21) will be assigned to a stateroom unless accompanied in the same stateroom by an adult twenty-one (21) years old or older. A guest's age is established upon the first date of sailing.

This age limit will be waived for children sailing with their parents or guardians in connecting staterooms; for underage married couples; and for active duty members of the United States or Canadian military."

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Onboard+Policies&faqId=309&faqSubjectId=333&faqType=faq

This is the thread where I learned of the age policy: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1635089 It was over a year ago, but it stuck with me because I felt so badly that the poster's cruise had to be canceled due to unrelated minors in room next door.

No Guest younger than the age twenty-one (21) will be assigned to a stateroom unless accompanied in the same stateroom by an adult twenty-one (21) years old or older. A guest's age is established upon the first date of sailing.

This age limit will be waived for children sailing with their parents or guardians in connecting staterooms; for underage married couples; and for active duty members of the United States or Canadian military."

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Onboard+Policies&faqId=309&faqSubjectId=333&faqType=faq

Connecting cabins are not required. This is a case where RCI's website is not up to date with their current practices. Cabins beside and across the hall are fine and based on other posters first hand experiences it does not matter if the children are your own or friends of your children.

Part of the issue with that thread was none of the kids were traveling with parents. The grandparents were taking a granddaughter and friends.

In the adjacent or directly across the hall cabin, there needs to be a 1:1 ratio between your own children and children who are not yours. Therefore it is OK to have your daughter and her BFF (or two children and two friends in a quad cabin).

The issue with the people who were denied boarding was that none of the children were theirs (it was their grandchildren).

In the adjacent or directly across the hall cabin, there needs to be a 1:1 ratio between your own children and children who are not yours. Therefore it is OK to have your daughter and her BFF (or two children and two friends in a quad cabin).

The issue with the people who were denied boarding was that none of the children were theirs (it was their grandchildren).

That's right! I forgot about the 1:1 ratio of your own kids to friends being sufficient. The thread was a good 1.5 years ago and my memory failed me.