Grand captain change

Starlaker

Does anyone know why we changed Captains in Honolulu on the

Nov 25 round trip to Hawaii from San Francisco? We are on board now and there was no explanation to the change, just lots of rumors.

Captains are rotated in and out all the time. Yes, sometimes it happens mid-cruise.

Lew

Agreed. We have had a change of captains in the middle of a cruise on more than one occasion.

Mike:)

Yes, generally the new captain will join the ship at the start of a cruise and the old captain will leave midway through so it is less disruptive... happens all the time.

We had 3 Captains on a 16 night cruise. And they switched off periodically as one Captain "had business in Bermuda" so he was gone for a few days so he was Captain for a few days and then gone and then Captain again later. We also had the Commodore on that sailing. We felt special to have 3 Captains :)

Edited by Coral

Yes, generally the new captain will join the ship at the start of a cruise and the old captain will leave midway through so it is less disruptive... happens all the time.
I agree. Captains come and go all the time for a variety of reasons. Some of which I've heard over the years:

-- contract up

-- baby due

-- vacation

-- one Captain is on the ship in a region and another Captain takes over before or after repositioning.

Regardless of the reason, it happens all the time. No need to announce the reason or consult us beforehand. :)

Timing still seems strange. We were on the Grand in early October for a Hawaiian Circle, and the captain changed partway through that cruise, so if he changed again last month, that would have meant our "new" captain was on board for only 4 or 5 weeks?

It happens even shorter than that.

On The Golden once the captain embarked with us and then left the ship after the first week to be replaced by another.

Mike:)

Does anyone know why we changed Captains in Honolulu on the

Nov 25 round trip to Hawaii from San Francisco? We are on board now and there was no explanation to the change, just lots of rumors.

Do you know who the current captain is? I'm on the December 20th cruise and my information shows that the captain for our cruise is Justin Lawes.

Thanks!

Tom:)

Timing still seems strange. We were on the Grand in early October for a Hawaiian Circle, and the captain changed partway through that cruise, so if he changed again last month, that would have meant our "new" captain was on board for only 4 or 5 weeks?

Last year on the Pacific Princess, we had three captains in thirty days. As one switch followed two substituted ports (Naples for Sorrento, Genoa for Portofino), we joked that that was the reason.

Do you know who the current captain is? I'm on the December 20th cruise and my information shows that the captain for our cruise is Justin Lawes.

Justin Lawes is our current captain - we had him in September, and find him to be very personable and easy to understand - I think I remember he's from Wales.

Yes, Justin Lawes is the current captain. He stopped by the Platinum/ elite lounge last night and chatted with us for a bit. Very personable. For those who said that they didn't need to give us a reason, I never meant to imply that they did. I was just curious and wanted to lay a certain rumor to rest.

Not strange at all. Captain Draper left the Royal for a few weeks to be with his wife for the birth of their baby. Princess isn't heartless and forces Captains to remain onboard for life or special events. Just read John Heald's blog: he comes and goes all the time even though he's Carnival's Senior CD.

Besides everything else mentioned here, perhaps there was a scheduled captain's change between cruises, but the "oncoming" captain missed his airplane connections so he missed being at the ship at the scheduled time (San Francisco?) Rather than wait until the next cruise and pay the oncoming captain to sit in the San Fransicisco hotel until the next cruise, Princess may have paid to get him to Honolulu. Remember, the outgoing captain was probably looking forward to leaving and anxious for his replacement to show up. I speak from experience I've seen. Our son once planned to join a ship in Vancouver, missed his connection, so Princess arranged to get him to Juneau to join mid-cruise.

Hi Caber

Not just three in 14 days, they swapped around so much we had

3 different captains in 6 days, but needing to play a round of golf

was a good reason.

yours Shogun

I liked the excuse of "Business in Bermuda" - I think that was Captain Proctor's reason for being gone for a few days :)

Not strange at all. Captain Draper left the Royal for a few weeks to be with his wife for the birth of their baby. Princess isn't heartless and forces Captains to remain onboard for life or special events. Just read John Heald's blog: he comes and goes all the time even though he's Carnival's Senior CD.

That's a really nice story. I would have thought that a "life at sea" meant sacrificing things like that. Lord knows, few American businesses give fathers time off for such things.

That's a really nice story. I would have thought that a "life at sea" meant sacrificing things like that. Lord knows, few American businesses give fathers time off for such things.

I believe most Captains work 4 months on and then a break. Knowing the baby is coming, it would not be difficult to schedule around.

Upper management gets benefits on land as well as at sea that those lower on the totem pole do not get.

Hi All

Reasons for changes to Captains

Princess calls meetings of Captains so only away a few days

Training often away for one or two weeks

Providing cover for other Captains

Family issues

Holidays

Yours Shogun

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Forums mobile app