Why I love Johnny rockets!!!

Going on the explorer of the seas in May 2014 and I can't wait to eat at Johnny rockets! The burgers are delicious, the chili is amazing and the service is too notch!!! Anyone agree or disagree??

I even made up a dessert that wasn't on the menu and the server brought back what I asked for!! We tipped him well of course and I took pics with him and my wife!

I am one of the few that don't like it. We have them in Florida, greasy, fast food! Not my thing! we go occasionally b/c hubby sometimes wants their burgers, but I will only order onion rings if I go there and want something really fatning as there is nothing there that is a 10000 calories.

I really like JR's land based restaurants, but will no longer eat on the ships. In fact I ate at my local JR's last night.

In the land based restaurants, they use fresh meat, and will cook a burger Medium if you want it. OTOH on the ship, the use frozen patties and precook them all well done. Plus the land based locations have more selection choices for the meat. At my local one, they have a burger with ground in bacon pieces!

Also in my local JR's they will make real cheese fries for you where they put shredded cheese on top of the fries, and put it on the griddle, put some ice on the griddle, and put a large cover over it to melt the cheese. On the ship, they use liquid cheese. yuck!

My local JR's also uses Cabot (from Vermont) cheddar cheese, while the ship uses a very poor quality cheese.

So unless I eat breakfast there (which is quite good), I avoid JR's on the ship, even though the view is better of course.

Edited by reedl

We love it! We have a JR about 20minutes from our home. We rarely go there. We always go when on a cruise. We think the food is excellent. Yes, it is greasy burgers and fries but that's what makes it so good! I will have to look at our burger pictures. I'm quite sure there was no liquid cheese used as a PP stated. Can't wait to go in April!!

Now if they had an In n Out on board, that would be different!!! :eek:

Sailing on Jewel in a month, no JR. But it has the only Seaview cafe left in the whole world! So I will defintely have my onion rings craving there

I try to get my In n Out urge filled A couple times a month

I miss the Seaview café:o

We eat at JR once per cruise.... Cant waste the BOGO shake coupon

We do enjoy it. The burgers up in the WJ are disgusting pieces of leather

In SF we have several land based JR's. I don't go out of my way to eat there but do enjoy it when I do

We love to do Johnny Rockets at least once on our cruises for lunch. For those doing calorie math; The Original hamburger has 620 calories and I split a fry with my hubby at 530 calories so that brings it down to 265 for a total of 885. :D Neither of us can do dairy so milkshakes are out so it's ice water for us. Rarely we will split a piece of pie so I don't count that either. We never eat 3 meals a day on board so we skip breakfast on this day usually. We just aren't huge eaters.

Johnny Rockets was a daily event for us for breakfast on the Oasis and the Allure. We loved that the food was FRESH and the view was fabulous. It's such a great, fun place to eat at. : )

Do you add the cheddar cheese on ur apple pie ala mode? I saw that on the menu and was wondering what that is all about? Doesn't sound to good lol

Cheddar cheese on apple pie is outstanding. Try it sometime, you might surprise yourself and like it.

While on the allure we never realized they did breakfast in JR. We have a sailing on the oasis coming up and are looking forward to eating breakfast there. Can someone give me some details about that? Cover charge, menu selection, times?

No cover charge. Times listed in the Cruise Compass.

Menu:

http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/Johnny%20Rockets%20Breakfast%20Menu.pdf

Edited by clarea

We have a few JRs near where we live, but never choose to eat there, because we know we'll stop by when cruising. It's a fun, very American-style 50's burger joint experience, and not meant to be exactly healthy, certainly not gourmet. We don't fuss about the calories etc since it's only once for each cruise, and it's a fun vacation treat for us.

One poster asked about cheese on the apple pie--that's something that's been around, and I guess you need the taste for it (I don't have it).

When you walk in, it's "Everyone say Helloooo". When you leave, well, you can figure it out.

Teddie

We have a few JRs near where we live, but never choose to eat there, because we know we'll stop by when cruising. It's a fun, very American-style 50's burger joint experience, and not meant to be exactly healthy, certainly not gourmet. We don't fuss about the calories etc since it's only once for each cruise, and it's a fun vacation treat for us.

One poster asked about cheese on the apple pie--that's something that's been around, and I guess you need the taste for it (I don't have it).

When you walk in, it's "Everyone say Helloooo". When you leave, well, you can figure it out.

Teddie

Lol we have a few by us too but they just have a certain charm on the ship that lacks on land. Probably the view has something to do with it! We agree who cares about the calories it's not like we do it everyday at home!

Guest maddycat
Grilled cheese on rye sounds yummy...wonder if they will put bacon on it for me? :)

Grilled Swiss on rye with bacon is the best. I'll have to ask for it at JR on our next cruise.

As mentioned, there's not one close to;the near one is:eek:about 45 miles away. I enjoyed my visits the last 2 times and will go there @ least 2 times on my next MJ cruise.:)I did see the episode of "Undercover Boss" that had the CEO of JR's;it was on that episode that Chili Cheese Fries were added to the menu.

Doug

In the land based restaurants, they use fresh meat, and will cook a burger Medium if you want it. OTOH on the ship, the use frozen patties and precook them all well done.

Not MY experience at all on Freedom. Keep in mind, Ive only been one time to JR's but I got a very nice, made from fresh beef, double cheeseburger cooked to a perfect medium. it was most certainly NOT a frozen pattie cooked well done like whats served in the WJ.

Im not doubting you. Im just saying.

If you have one of the drink packages can you get a soda at no charge from JR?

I saw someone say if you have two in your cabin you get 2 coupons, is this only true if both people are C&A members? My wife is not yet.

Sent from my XT897 using Forums mobile app

Edited by joekatie

If you have one of the drink packages can you get a soda at no charge from JR?

I saw someone say if you have two in your cabin you get 2 coupons, is this only true if both people are C&A members? My wife is not yet.

Yes, the drink packages apply to soda from Johnny Rockets.

Only C&A members get coupons.

Do you add the cheddar cheese on ur apple pie ala mode? I saw that on the menu and was wondering what that is all about? Doesn't sound to good lol

That sure is a popular option in New England. Mom always served a good cheddar cheese with apple pie. It goes perfectly to me. :)

I love JR's apple pie ala mode!