Drink Packages-- Worth it?

SweetPease

If my cruise were port intensive in he Med, I would not take the drinks package. Simply to many delicious local wines to try out.

But we are doing a Caribbean cruise. While rum may be cheap, I pretty much only drink wine and champagne, so I am doing the drinks package. And my husband likes a mixed drink or 3 at the pool on a hot day. So for us, the package makes sense. YMMV.

If my cruise were port intensive in he Med, I would not take the drinks package. Simply to many delicious local wines to try out.

But we are doing a Caribbean cruise. While rum may be cheap, I pretty much only drink wine and champagne, so I am doing the drinks package. And my husband likes a mixed drink or 3 at the pool on a hot day. So for us, the package makes sense. YMMV.

Good point Rachel, if we'd been on a port-intensive cruise we definitely wouldn't have--Caribbean, perhaps, depending on the ports.

Glad I could brighten your day. My response was based on a recent TA cruise our friends just took... 16 days with 8 being at sea.

To me 8 days out of 16 is port intensive. That's every other day for those travel agents...

I like 2 to 3 days between ports...

We are not big spirits drinkers - maybe we will have a martini before dinner and a Sambuca or Grand Marnier after dinner - and not every day; The wine on the every day pour lists were not to our liking.

On a port intensive cruise - we might only have one glass of wine each with dinner; One our recent crossing, we did a b2b and when we boarded we bought wine from the Sommlier; For 26 nights we bought about 15 bottles. We got a 30% discount and found some of our very favorite special wines. We had a OBC for the 1st cruise that covered about half the cost of the wine. We spent less than what the wine package would have been and drank exactly what we chose.

One our recent crossing, we did a b2b and when we boarded we bought wine from the Sommlier; For 26 nights we bought about 15 bottles. We got a 30% discount and found some of our very favorite special wines.

Is there any place (O website) I can get an idea of the per bottle pricing w/o the discount?

Can Jim and Stan come to the rescue? Is it the standard 2-3 times retail mark-up?

Agreed, the cruise we booked is, indeed, port intensive by our standards. We have been on 7 day cruises with only 3 stops. Loved it. Perfect mix. However, we are very happy to be able to visit so many islands on this cruise, so not complaining :).

As for the drink package, will stick with our plan to wait until we get onboard. DH likes his beer and drinks red wine occasonially with dinner. I enjoy champagne and wine and we DO like the occasional Bloody Mary, mixed drink or after dinner drink. Thanks for the info on your experience ChatKat. Sounds like a real possibility. Will have to see how it plays out. No matter what happens, it will be perfect! How can it be anything less with 16 days cruising?!?! :D

Can Jim and Stan come to the rescue? Is it the standard 2-3 times retail mark-up?

Yes, the Prices on the Oceania Wine List(s) are very comparable to what you would pay in an upscale, urban restaurant in the United States (the majority of which also do not list their prices online).

Pricing is a proprietary tool, these days :rolleyes:

Edited by JimandStan

Wines I buy at home in California for about $20 we $60 -

Grgich Hill Chardonnay - about $30 a bottle here in Ca. was $97 on the list. We got it on the wine sale for $69 each. Montes Alpha (Chilean Red) I buy at Costco for $18 was $in the $50 range

Yes, but if you're an informed consumer, there are occasionally some extraordinary values at those onboard Wine Sales. We snatched up a number of bottles when they were selling an immaculate '06 Jordan Cab at $50.

Bacchus must have been looking kindly on us, because our local Wine Merchant (also, we have since learned, an Oceania Regular) couldn't beat $56 per bottle, even though we were buying a case.

Hi Kia,

>Is there any place (O website) I can get an idea of the per bottle pricing w/o the discount? <

I have this from a 2012 cruise report:

"Bottles of wine start at $35-40, then add 18% on top of that. Glasses of wine are about $10 without gratuity. Beer is somewhere around $7.50 per glass...cheaper for draft....again add 18%. Not sure about cocktails but some where around $12. Happy hour prices are 2 for 1 from 5pm to 6pm in either Martinis or Horizon".

Ira

Oceania quotes prices for drinks packages as "per person" but they don't include the dreaded words: "based on double occupancy."

What if one person of the couple is a non-drinker? Will O sell just one drinks package for the tippler to use?

And, taking that thought a step further, what if they are allowed to buy the single package…following which they attend 2-for-1 happy hour, order their two drinks and consume one apiece because the teetotaler miraculously discovered a taste for alcohol which needs further development on a daily basis. Morally reprehensible, of course, but have you ever heard of this rather obvious ploy being used to save substantial bucks?

I could ask my TA this question but she might feel obligated to give me the company line, whatever that is. I would rather hear the answer directly from cruisers who, naturally, would never consider executing such a scheme themselves but might have "heard of someone else who did it."

Oceania quotes prices for drinks packages as "per person" but they don't include the dreaded words: "based on double occupancy."

Maybe because the drink packages are NOT based on double Occupancy

What if one person of the couple is a non-drinker? Will O sell just one drinks package for the tippler to use?

YES .... both parties do NOT need to purchase the drink package but no sharing is allowed

I could ask my TA this question but she might feel obligated to give me the company line, whatever that is. I would rather hear the answer directly from cruisers who, naturally, would never consider executing such a scheme themselves but might have "heard of someone else who did it."

If you go to happy hour & have the drink package it make no difference because you have paid for drinks in the package price

However for the teatotaller that has discovered they like a tipple they will pay the 2 for 1 price

Let's just hope too many people do not think like you and ruin it for those that abide by the rules

Edited by LHT28

And, taking that thought a step further, what if they are allowed to buy the single package…following which they attend 2-for-1 happy hour, order their two drinks and consume one apiece because the teetotaler miraculously discovered a taste for alcohol which needs further development on a daily basis. Morally reprehensible, of course, but have you ever heard of this rather obvious ploy being used to save substantial bucks?

I'm shocked that your sense of honesty and fair play did not prevent you from even hinting at such a dishonest course of action.

52252-SpiderMan--This-Is-Why-We-Cant-4pxt.jpeg

Edited by JimandStan

That people who travel on Oceania have would not be down to the point of trying to scam and cheat for a few ; that is indeed sad

I would have thought that idea of using one card to buy drinks for 2 to save $60 might have been a thread under a Carnival 3 day party cruise.

Seriously, at some point we all are tempted to forsake out morals and ethics.

For some that is incomprehensible because of personal honor , regardless of the dollars...it is about ourselves and our self worth and dignity. Judas sold out for 30 pieces of silver., so would sell out for a martini or glass of wine

I would hope that it would have been higher than $60... to sell out for a few beers. How sad.

That indeed is telling........ telling indeed.

I have had the full drinks package a couple of times. As a northen european drinker I thought it great value. I bought at $55 which equated to about 4 drinks (or 3 glasses of champers for my wife). 2 glasses of wine with lunch, mid afternoon beer, cocktail to free the imagination at trivs, 2-3 glasses of wine with dinner, port of dessert wine then maybe a drink or 2 in the disco. No brainer.

One query. The package that includes wine and beer during dinner, does that mean while you are actually in the dining rooms or elsewhere around the ship during the hours the dining rooms are open? Could be useful for my wife.

Thanks in advance for any answers

One query. The package that includes wine and beer during dinner, does that mean while you are actually in the dining rooms or elsewhere around the ship during the hours the dining rooms are open? Could be useful for my wife.

Thanks in advance for any answers

HOUSE SELECT - $39.95 Per Guest Per Day (Gratuity Included) Wine & Beer This package includes beer and a selection of wines by the glass during lunch and dinner in any dining venue or through room service.*

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/ships/marina/restaurants/beveragepackages.aspx

Sounds like you need to be Dining ...nice try though

Edited by LHT28

It wasn't worth it for me and I like a drink. I think it depends on your drinking preferences. If you're not into cocktails or spirits and are more a wine person then I wouldn't do it. I like to order a bottle of wine at dinner and I would rely instead on wine sales and other offers while on board. The happy hour deal also works well before dinner. We did the math on a recent cruise and the premium package would not have worked out for us. If you are into cocktails and spirits and wine at dinner that would likely be different.

Jim & Stan: My sense of honesty and fair play are exactly the reason I asked. And all I did was ask; I did not hint that this would be acceptable behavior. (Or were you doing Capt. Renault in "Casablanca?" In which case, kudos! Nicely subtle…..)

However, to Hawaiidan: It's not about saving $60. It's about saving $60 per day. That's a significant chunk of change where I come from. It's not difficult to imagine that the thought of exploiting this possible loophole might occur to some passengers, even on Oceania.

HOUSE SELECT - $39.95 Per Guest Per Day (Gratuity Included) Wine & Beer This package includes beer and a selection of wines by the glass during lunch and dinner in any dining venue or through room service.*

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/ships/marina/restaurants/beveragepackages.aspx

Sounds like you need to be Dining ...nice try though

The "or through room service" bit is interesting as I assume room service is available all day (although can be a little slow for drinks). Does this mean if we went back to our cabin we could order drinks any time? It would work for pre dinner drinks while dressing.

Is the asterix important?

Edited by beardedshark

The "or through room service" bit is interesting as I assume room service is available all day (although can be a little slow for drinks). Does this mean if we went back to our cabin we could order drinks any time? It would work for pre dinner drinks while dressing.

Maybe they mean if you order lunch or dinner in your cabin you can also order drinks as with the package in the dinning room. :confused:

Edited by orchestrapal

I think with the house select package you need to order during lunch & dinner hours with your meal

I would clarify this with Oceania