December 8 2013 Themed Cruises

shipmate29

For those passengers who do not participate in the music package private event, are normal entertainment events available? How many passengers book for a themed cruise? Will this event affect those who don't participate? Any advise is so welcome.

Edited by shipmate29

I was on the Grand Princess 2 years ago and there were some tickets available to non-concert passengers to some of the events but I was told they were kind of expensive.

I found it a problem because you generally have two options in the evening. One venue was unavailable due to the group and if you didn't like your only option there was no entertainment.

They sometimes took over an area for a function so that was off-limits at times during the week.

Typically, what percentage of the 3000 passengers on board participate in the themed event?

I have been on more theme cruises than I care to remember. Usually on Carnival or Royal Caribbean and the number of people who sign up can be anywhere from 200 to 800 or more. Depending if it is sponsored by a local radio station or a popular down home band.

Edited by lady_cruiser

Thank you for the information. Thinking of canceling our cruise if the regular activities are compromised with the private themed event. Would like to see princess platter daily newsletter from a themed cruise.

As was mentioned before, this is best researched on the Princess board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=197

Typically, what percentage of the 3000 passengers on board participate in the themed event?

I've seen themed partial charters go anywhere from 400 to more than 2000.

Do you know the name of the company chartering the cruise? That would make a difference in any decision. There are some groups you might not wish to share a ship with like American Girl Doll collectors or a group of swingers, or a group of Amway salespersons.

Rock and Roll Oldies. Not sure of the amount of credit to change to a different week. Seems others have reserved cruises without knowing large private events were also booked until they were on board the ship. Why doesn't the cruise tell you about the private event at the time you make the reservation, giving the person the option to change the sailing date? I would imagine having 1000 passenger in a private event will impact the routine entertainment events. Areas not normally off limits will change, thus impacting others. Am I missing something?

Rock and Roll Oldies. Not sure of the amount of credit to change to a different week. Seems others have reserved cruises without knowing large private events were also booked until they were on board the ship. Why doesn't the cruise tell you about the private event at the time you make the reservation, giving the person the option to change the sailing date? I would imagine having 1000 passenger in a private event will impact the routine entertainment events. Areas not normally off limits will change, thus impacting others. Am I missing something?

Because they don't need to, and for the reason you are asking, they don't want you to cancel.

It is a major wish from everyone that we be told about about large groups, but there really is no way to find out unless you research it yourself.

I have been on cruises where certain areas are made off-limits to passengers. Such as wanting to use the late evening hot-tubs, but not being allowed since the back area was closed for a private event.

It was annoying.

HMMM sounds like you might have been on one of the group cruises I have been on. And, yes I too found it annoying. Especially one time when an older than me (I'm 64 :eek:) lady wanted to use the hot tub that we were in. I wanted to shout to the band "come on, she's one person, who wants to use the hot tub, by herself, way in the back from where we are. GIVE HER A BREAK." But it wouldn't have done any good.

I was on a cruise once and saw a group of about 100 people gathered in a bar where I wanted to sit and read quietly. Turned out the area was reserved for a Cruise Critic function. They should warn us about these kinds of groups:D

Oh, the Horror!

I never said it was a horror, but on a Celebrity cruise, this group took over many of the public venues and anyone outside the group were shut out. How would you like it if you were forced to only one public area of the ship because the group took over every other one? I daresay you would not be too happy.