What is the size of your largest suitcase?

LHC

I always used Samsonite, but recently I wanted a new spinner and lighter weight.

I also wanted something other than black.

On Ebags I was able to catch a huge sale and free shipping and got a Bill Blass 27 inch spinner for 48.00.

Regularly 280.00.

Light weight, plenty of storage, spinners, and in a sage green color, which should be easier for me to spot at the airport.

I find the 27 inch is not too big or too small. On longer trips I take an additional Disney medium duffel and can hang it over the handle.

I think you have to keep in mind, if you fly, that the bigger the suitcase, the greater the weight possibly and you could be over the limit. Not always, but you could.

and....even though most of the time your bags can be handled for you, there could be times you need to handle them yourself...so just make sure it's managable for you.

If you are using the luggage for cruising and want to put it under the bed, the size would depend on whether you are in a Veranda or Ocean-view/Inside cabin.

We first started cruising we had a 27 inch Dakota (made by Tumi). You could get so much in this suitcase that frequently we had to switch things around to stay within the 50 pound limit. We also were in Veranda staterooms.

But when we switched to Oceanview with a Queen size bed, we couldn't get the suitcase under the bed because there wasn't enough space between the wall & the bed. You literally would have had to lift the bed to get the suitcase under.

On the S Class Ships, the suitcase could be slid under the bed from the foot of the bed. But our suitcase was too wide to slid under that way. One of Stewards did push it passed the feet and we ended up with a damaged zipper.

The R Class Ships have a drawer I believe at the foot of the bed so there was no way of forcing the suitcase under the bed from the foot. Pour only option

Was to give the suitcases to the steward to store. I didn't want them in the closets or standing around in the room.

So we bought 3 smaller suitcases to replace our two 27" Dakotas. We bought Delsey as they had slightly more space than some of the other luggage we looked at. We have since bought Travel Pro Crew 26" which we like better than the Delsey. The 26" slide under the bed from the foot and from the side of the bed if you have a queen.

I am a solo traveler (cannot hide things in honeys suitcase)

I am a maturing female (not young spring chick try just entered my 6th decade)

After 40yrs of nursing I have had 2 knees replaced and have a funky lower back issue which might require a fusion in the future.

So I am thinking light weight, 4 spinner wheels, capability to anchor my carry on without tipping everything over.....and then taking lots of ones and fives and paying others to tote and fetch (along with batting my eyelashes, they don't sag yet to light.)

Since I said I was a nurse and pay double for any room don't want to break my cruise fund before I start. I want to spend money on visiting spas in the ports as I have seen all these islands!🎅

So I am thinking light weight, 4 spinner wheels, capability to anchor my carry on without tipping everything over.....and then taking lots of ones and fives and paying others to tote and fetch (along with batting my eyelashes, they don't sag yet to light.)

Since I said I was a nurse and pay double for any room don't want to break my cruise fund before I start. I want to spend money on visiting spas in the ports as I have seen all these islands!

I think the one I bought would be something you'd like. Still on sale, but not at the price I got, and free shipping.

check it out:

http://www.ebags.com/product/bill-blass-luggage/harbor-27-exp-spinner/244093?productid=10215989

I've found that something in the 25-26" size range is a good choice for me to not go over the weight limit when flying.

Santa is bringing us new luggage!:D I chose a Briggs & Riley 25" spinner and a matching 2 compartment rolling duffle. We have a 2+ week Baltic trip in May that includes a 12-night cruise. We're using miles for our air, and going over we're in coach:( which means one free checked bag up to 50 pounds for each of us. I really don't want to pay $100 for a third bag, so between those 2 cases, our international rolling carry-ons, and our cabin bags, that's my packing limit. We're flying back in first class:), so if I want to convert one of the carry-ons to checked baggage I can do so without paying for it.

Edited by Cindy

We bought the largest one that fits the guidelines. But....this is the important part.....it is wide, but not deep. As a result, it is awkward for going on the belt ----onto and off the plane. It is wide, so it wants to fall off---and it did.

A year ago in FLL, we were the first ones at the carousel. Our bag never came. An attendant insisted someone walked off with it---those "old people" who get a porter to collect their luggage. She said they pick up wrong luggage often. Well, I didn't believe her as I knew we were the first to get there. After a lot of persistance, she went in back---and came back with my suitcase. It had fallen off whatever, and was lying there!! Now, I'm afraid to use that suitcase, because that's the first time in probably 100 flights where that has happened!

We have a 28" for big trips but only pack clothing in it. Heavier items go in the 22" or the rolling totes.

By sticking to the clothes only we stay just under the 50 LB that Amtrak requires. (We try not to fly so I don't know what their limit is :) )

You've made me think, I may need a new suitcase as a Christmas present to myself! DH rules that I am allowed one suitcase, plus my carryon, whatever the length of cruise, but the doctor has now said I must take my "air-cast boot" in case I re-injure my leg! That will take up half my suitcase, never mind the carryon! What am I to do? I have suggested a duffle, for shoes, the "boot" and other odds and ends, and he's thinking about it. Keep your fingers crossed. My old suitcase is quite heavy, so will look into a new one. Interesting thread.:)

Ann, get a duffle that you can either put on top of your suitcase (so you can still handle things) or roll along easily. I think that really sounds like a great solution. I flipped to our duffles last time. The just held some of our clothing envelopes better and they did well :) My key is to be able to manage the luggage ourselves if at all possible :D

I took a 29" case with spinners for 2 months in Europe this past summer, including 12 days on the N.A. I came to feel that a person's height should be taken into consideration when choosing luggage. I am only 5'2" and the case felt large, bulky and difficult to handle (although it was not full and weight was not a problem). The spinners were great on level surfaces, but on downward inclines, I sometimes felt the case was forging on ahead and about to get away from me.

Next year in Europe, (which will hopefully include several weeks on the Noordam), I plan to take a 26" "pull behind" case. It is less tall, but has good depth and I am sure I can get in everything I will need. It will be easier to manage for a short person like me.

I would also say that (based on experience) if cruisers are combining a cruise with train travel in Europe in the summer, the luggage racks are often full and you have to leave your case between train cars. "Spinners" can roll every which way and end up in the stairwells of the train, blocking the exit. So, it is best to lay them on their side, instead of letting them stand upright.

Kate

We travel a lot all over the world and we are addicted to rolling duffle bags which are about 29". The exterior pockets are great for small things, weigh almost nothing and they fit most everywhere. Have found the ones from Walmart (I know, I know) work very well at a low cost. Found these as an emergency replacement on a trip a long while ago. (The airline had ruined a suitcase) We have one that is probably 10 year old, wheels are intake, zippers all work and it has seen thousand of miles.

Decided to purchase a new large suitcase suggestions please?

LHC

We use 1 24" per person to Alaska and take advantage of unlimited laundry option. We also do not do formal nights.

Edited by sapete
added

Ok printed and put together all your replies and went on the prowl. Middle class so went to top rate stores and looked at what the best suitcases contained and what I wanted . Decided soft sided versus hard sided . My carry one is hard sided but I need the extra pockets and capacity the soft sides offer.

Next looked at the deep compartment and if it had any extra pockets (I like those)! On the other side I guess you would say lid side did it have pockets for stuff or just a single zippered side.

Following your guidelines then went to Kohl's, Ross and Marshall's to look at what they had.

I found a soft side extra deep 25 in Sharper image 360 4 wheels that I adore. It has pockets on the deep side and lid side please two zippered pockets on the outside. Because of all the Christmas sales I got it for $40.🎁

Now just have to work on my just say no to excess clothing and I am set.

Cruise buddies you are the greatest!

DD got me one set on cubes several years ago that I use for unmentionables. One for gym gear, and one for swimsuits and cover up. I like the roll method better than package. I love my CC friends.