What is the size of your largest suitcase?

LHC

Buy the lightest you can. For cruise around Hawaii last year, I bought 28" that weighed 1/2 of what we had. May still need a 3rd for cruise in Aug to Alaska as we will be halibut fishing, whale watching and cruiseing Glacier Bay. Will want my mid weight winter jacket and other layers.

Look at the Tutto line of suitcases - light, weight, collapsible, easy pull but have a rigid frame for protection better than a duffle. Best of all you can sit on them and pile other suitcases on top of their flat top surfaces.

That looks like a real find. When the one bag 50# limit went in, all my old luggage went out and it just didn't make any sense paying part of that weight allowance just to haul the suitcase itself.

I loved my old hanging wardrobe bag where all I have to do is hang up the clothes I brought and struggled to find something lightweight that could replace it. But that was 12# right off the bat for the bag itself. I figure about half pound per item, so getting rid of the suitcase weight itself let me tuck in a few more things. (And still carry too many things I never end up wearing! :cool:)

The largest suitcase I use is my Delsey Helium 29", which is part of the full set. I can get everything I need in it, and stay well under 50lbs.

The largest one I own is a 31" (or 32", I forget) hard-sided American Tourister. It holds so much! :D It's got an old design, though, with an uncomfortable handle that pulls the suitcase from the small edge; it kept tipping over when I dragged it along.

You've made me think, I may need a new suitcase as a Christmas present to myself! DH rules that I am allowed one suitcase, plus my carryon, whatever the length of cruise, but the doctor has now said I must take my "air-cast boot" in case I re-injure my leg! That will take up half my suitcase, never mind the carryon! What am I to do? I have suggested a duffle, for shoes, the "boot" and other odds and ends, and he's thinking about it. Keep your fingers crossed. My old suitcase is quite heavy, so will look into a new one. Interesting thread.:)

You've made me think, I may need a new suitcase as a Christmas present to myself! DH rules that I am allowed one suitcase, plus my carryon, whatever the length of cruise, but the doctor has now said I must take my "air-cast boot" in case I re-injure my leg! That will take up half my suitcase, never mind the carryon! What am I to do? I have suggested a duffle, for shoes, the "boot" and other odds and ends, and he's thinking about it. Keep your fingers crossed. My old suitcase is quite heavy, so will look into a new one. Interesting thread.:)

Wear the boot for travel? Maybe?

I've seen these before but wondered about their durability. How does it hold up? The wheels look pretty small -- not sure they would hold up for me. (e.g., I'm frequently rolling down cobbled streets, sidewalks, around train stations, etc. Not just a quick roll to the airline check-in desk...)

Wear the boot for travel? Maybe?

I would love to! I did have to wear it in the summer for travel (couldn't do all that airport walking stuff) and I was well looked after! But now the stress fracture is better, I would feel like a fake. :eek: I'll have to see how things are going in January.

DH rules? DH rules??? :eek: Tell DH that if the airlines allow an additional carry-on for durable medical equipment (they do), then who is he to decide otherwise. Then pack the boot in an additional bag.

DH rules? DH rules??? :eek: Tell DH that if the airlines allow an additional carry-on for durable medical equipment (they do), then who is he to decide otherwise. Then pack the boot in an additional bag.

That is so funny! I should have said "DH thinks he rules!":D And I didn't know about the extra carry-on allowed - will have to remember that. Thanks