no production shows with dancers on Ryndam

coaster

Ryndam cruise 12/1 to 12/8 had no shows with dancers. Had a comic and a comic/magician two nights. Are production shows with dancers a random event on HAL ships? First cruise out of 10 where there were no production shows. Trying to give HAL a break, but between no a/c for 6 nights and no real shows onboard, it is a little tough.

Heard there was some dancers that quit and therefore no shows. Not sure if this was the case. Anyone else on this sailing hear the same thing? This sailing just seemed cursed from the rumors we heard and what we experienced with lack of a/c.

Edited by coaster

Ryndam cruise 12/1 to 12/8 had no shows with dancers. Had a comic and a comic/magician two nights. Are production shows with dancers a random event on HAL ships? First cruise out of 10 where there were no production shows. Trying to give HAL a break, but between no a/c for 6 nights and no real shows onboard, it is a little tough.

Heard there was some dancers that quit and therefore no shows. Not sure if this was the case. Anyone else on this sailing hear the same thing? This sailing just seemed cursed from the rumors we heard and what we experienced.

We did a 21 night Panama Canal cruise in Oct/Nov and the performing cast was 2 singers (tenor & soprano), 3 singer/dancers (2 boys 1 girl), 1 singer/comedian (boy), and 2 girl dancers.

Our other two HAL cruises we had singers and dancers.

I was just looking for exceptions to singer/dancer shows on HAL ships. Was our cruise on the Ryndam a rare exception?

Oops, I almost made a comment thinking that you were speaking of a cruise in August, but forget that in the US you put the dates around the opposite way.

Edited by Beejay4016

Even though we did not go to any shows on our last cruise, I did notice that people were leaving the show room about 40 - 45 minutes after the start of the shows -- thus cut back in times. No one seem to be raving about anything. When I asked one couple who joined us for late evening cocktails what the show was like -- response "so so".

We will be on the Ryndam over New Years. I hope they have the a/c working as we have an inside cabin :eek:. I must admit though, the lack of dancers/shows wouldn't bother us a bit as we never go. We went on Princess and most were good but I didn't like the lines and the shoving for seats so we didn't go near the venues on the Volendam at night and really enjoyed ourselves anyway.

I hope you find your answers.

It doesn't seem that these shows ever get rave reviews so why should we miss them.

I usually don't have high expectations; some of the songs I like; others I don't. I usually do not get up and leave. I don't like nasty comedians. These do make me leave.

I think on the Ryndam entertainment was scheduled but something happen.

Our feeling from a cruise on Ryndam last year was the the shows (which did include) dances were of a better standard than we had found on recent P and O and Princess cruises. One of our male dancers injured himself during the cruise which led to one shire being postponed and, when it did take place there had clearly been some rearranged choreography -- impressively done.

Although it was a European cruise the Ryndam used a US based theatre company. P and O use a UK based company. Their shows tend to follow a fairly predictable pattern leading to a feeling of if you have seen one, you have seen them all. There seemed to me to more originality in the Ryndam offering and greater variety offered within the fortnight we were on board.

In answer to your question, production shows on HAL are usually not a "random event". Like any other ship, we had productions shows on her last winter. Perhaps dancers/sings did quit but HAL uses a production company in LA and it seems they could have sent replacements.

Having sailed with HAL since 2002 we have seen the quality of the "Production" shows go down. BUT, the November 2-17, 2013 TransAtlantic on the Ryndam was a MAJOR EXCEPTION, the were VERY GOOD! (This coming from someone that has not had much good to say about the shows in the past.

There were four Production Shows with a full cast - Two Lead singers, Two singer/dancers, and six dancers (four female and two male), all of which did their jobs well. The production values .... (costumes & sets) were quite good, and there seemed to be some sort of a "story line". The shows were reasonably new to HAL. We were told that the Ryndam is the second ship to have this set of shows.

When we departed the ship there was no indication of any change planned in the ships Cast. So, something must have happened between November 17th and December.

I overheard that 2 dancers got fired on the night before the ship docked in Tampa on Dec. 1/13. Something to do with getting drunk. Maybe they didn't have enough time to get new dancers to the ship.

The "comedian" on both of the cruises was probably the most disgusting and downright bad entertainer that my father in law, my husband and I have ever seen/heard. (Very insulting. A lot of people got up and left.)

Also... there were 3 shows every night with only 1 of the time slots having the upper balcony open. (8 pm I think)

Also informed that the early seating was the busier one. Most likely due to what looked to me like an older crowd on this ship. Smaller ship meaning less distance to travel to get around. That is why my inlaws stay with the smaller ships now, as my father in law finds the walk from mid ship to the dining room very difficult.

I'm sorry the OP missed the chance to enjoy HAL's new shows. Major disappointment if it is one of the things you enjoy about HAL cruises. For those who are tired of the same-old, same-old HAL show formula, I urge you to give it another chance.

I learned recently that the cast shows on HAL ships are now completely designed and choreographed by the talented people at Stiletto Entertainment in California. It used to be that it was managed by HAL with Stiletto performers. Now that Stiletto has full control the shows are better, edgier and appeal to a wider audience. One great example is the show Droom (dream) which I saw on my recent Noordam cruise. Classique and Rock Legends were the other two on our cruise and both were well received. I think these new shows are now on most HAL ships (except Prinsendam which doesn't have the same type of show lounge) or will be soon as each ship goes into drydock for refurbishing.

For those who wonder why the turntable is used so often, in place of the motor driven risers HAL once used, it apparently became a liability issue because of actual or potential injuries to cast members.

I overheard that 2 dancers got fired on the night before the ship docked in Tampa on Dec. 1/13. Something to do with getting drunk. Maybe they didn't have enough time to get new dancers to the ship.

The "comedian" on both of the cruises was probably the most disgusting and downright bad entertainer that my father in law, my husband and I have ever seen/heard. (Very insulting. A lot of people got up and left.)

Also... there were 3 shows every night with only 1 of the time slots having the upper balcony open. (8 pm I think)

Also informed that the early seating was the busier one. Most likely due to what looked to me like an older crowd on this ship. Smaller ship meaning less distance to travel to get around. That is why my inlaws stay with the smaller ships now, as my father in law finds the walk from mid ship to the dining room very difficult.

Totally agree about the "comedien". I counted 25 people that left. That guy was not funny and could not do magic. He was Boring

On my cruise last year in Nov. the comedian was the funniest I had ever seen. I know they switch comedians, so I think you got a really bad one. I used to be a standup comedian when I was a student, so I'm kinda picky in that...

Do you happen to remember the name of the comedian?