Airline ticket tips

shelly11

I like the site matrix dot itasoftware dot com better than the "boat" one. Once you put in your date/dates, you get a "matrix" that lists all the flights, with each flight on a separate line, showing cost, airlines involved and any layovers. Makes it super easy!

For any of you traveling to Northern Europe, Norwegian Air now has flights from Los Angeles, San Francisco and Orlando to Copenhagen and Stockholm (and maybe others).

We are just beginning our search for 2015 as well. It's a challenge, for sure.

My travel agent friend said prices are usually best about 8 months out. Airfare to Copenhagen is expensive, if you are looking at Baltic cruise. A couple of years ago, we flew into Rome for cruise, but had our departure out of Paris (for about same price as Rome round trip would have been). We found budget flights were more reasonable than the train, so after the cruise we flew to Venice for a few days, and then flew to Paris. Italy is amazing!

For any of you traveling to Northern Europe, Norwegian Air now has flights from Los Angeles, San Francisco and Orlando to Copenhagen and Stockholm (and maybe others).

Norwegian is also a low cost airline so I would plan accordingly when using them - they are great on short trips in Europe but we've personally opted not to use them for Trans-Atlantic trips already when the new routes were announced. Now their Dreamliner that should have departed from Fort Lauderdale to Stockholm on Saturday is still there broken with all passengers stuck in hotels and their estimated arrival to Stockholm is on Wednesday.

Norwegian is also a low cost airline so I would plan accordingly when using them - they are great on short trips in Europe but we've personally opted not to use them for Trans-Atlantic trips already when the new routes were announced. Now their Dreamliner that should have departed from Fort Lauderdale to Stockholm on Saturday is still there broken with all passengers stuck in hotels and their estimated arrival to Stockholm is on Wednesday.
Oops! Thanks for the heads-up on that. Much appreciated.

I usually fly out of Mia or Denver.Almost always on Luftansa(Star Alliance miles), who does every airport over the pond inc. some we never heard of.They fly out of all East coast cities. I would never take a line who does one flight a day; remember people sitting around Italian airport after that volcanic explosion in Iceland. Planes were stranded up North. LH brought planes in from South and we flew Southern route back to States.No need to take trains.

Oops! Thanks for the heads-up on that. Much appreciated.

No problem. I'd like to clarify that Norwegian is a top of the class low cost airline with very young fleet, free Wi-Fi, etc but they also do not have too many extra planes available like bigger airlines etc and on principle I don't want to pay for my luggage separately as long as I can choose otherwise (in Europe, so far pretty much only the few low cost airlines have extra fee for the first bag so we prefer usually to avoid them as we can get comparable total price with traditional bigger companies with a bit of planning).

As I probably have stated in this thread already, we too prefer using Lufthansa because of their great service, included first piece of luggage, included food and refreshments and great route coverage that also means a lot more options to "get there" if a plane breaks down etc.

If you fly regularly at all, get your preferred airline's mileage reward card now. Like the previous poster (noticing you're in GA) the Delta American Express card will pay for itself in baggage fees saved. I only fly 3-4 times a year, but since I'm also near a Delta hub, it makes sense.

(We've also booked our cruises via Delta, which adds bonus miles, in addition to the points awarded for the $$$ spent. Was able to shave off major $$$ on our family's cruise airfare by using some of these points.)

x x x x x

Here is something to consider regarding the above quote:

If you do not have an American Express card issued by Delta Skymiles think

about it. There are three levels of the Skymiles credit card issued by AX.

The Gold card for $95 a year (1st year/time waived) and the bonus of 30000

miles after your first purchase using the card {go to Delta.com and look for

skymiles cruises and use the card to charge your cruise - you will get 10000

miles for the cruise (posted after your cruise) and if you select a balcony or

suite double the miles for a total of 20000 miles}. So after the cruise you

will have 50000 miles to advance for future airfare on your next cruise.

The Platinum card for $150 a year essentially does the same thing with a few

better perks a free (taxes not included) companion coach ticket once a year.

The Reserve card for $450 a year gives you access to the Delta Airlines

Skyclub and a once year bonus of a free First/Business class companion ticket.

Any of the family of American Express cards will waive the baggage fees for

everyone in your traveling party (A savings of $50 a bag).

Also note that for each dollar of airfare purchased you also rack up miles. If

the travel is in Economy Comfort or First/Business class additional bonus miles

are racked up.

Have some other affinity loyalty charge card look into what it can do for you

either giving miles or points.

Already a frequent flyer check to see what fees can be waived like baggage.

For the immediate cruise you have planned the rewards may not be there

until after the cruise - BUT the next one could be almost paid for - PLAN to

take advantage of all the deals available.

A booking with Delta Skymiles will be at the same rate as booking with NCL.

The OnBoard Credit maybe different with cabin categories - I-OV-B-S.

One note the services of Delta Skymiles entails a $24.99 service charge but

well worth it with the amount of miles you can earn. If you buy miles from

the Delta website the rate is $0.035 a mile - so with 20000 miles for a balcony

cabin it is like a $700 rebate for future air travel.

Having a lot of time is great to check out all of the ways to snag a bargain !

A general rule of thumb make your travel arrangements for air fare no later

than 3 months (90 days) before travel. The fares may get higher and higher

the closer to departure. So you book and the fares go lower (fancy that!)

changing to get the lower fare will be eaten up by the Change Fee so simply

settle for the best deal you can get and live with it !

If perchance you leave out of one port and arrive back in another look at using

two or more airlines to get the best deal. You do not have to resign yourself

to using the same ole same ole for all of your transportation.

Have a AAA membership use the benefits to check on what you or they can do

for your travel needs - make comparisons. Make and Take the best deal you

can get for the almighty dollar.

depending where you are from...... we always fly to London, then book through easy jet to whatever location we sailing out of. it has always been cheapest, but beware of the costs of extras. have flown to cairo from halifax, for 1/3 the cost of booking direct.

Just an FYI in terms of expectations. In my experience, the days of getting a RT international ticket below $700 are almost completely gone....rare at best, and requires pretty intensive, sophisticated searching. Here's a thought. Contact a travel agent and tell them what you are looking for. You might pay a $25-75 fee per ticket, but it makes your life much easier if you aren't used to searching for international airfare bargains.