Is the Royal aft balcony soot issue over?

kittycat1234

Yes, Pat, I did see it and your post (sorry about your soot problems) but when I see posts like "According to the numerous posts in the numerous Royal bashing topics" I have been very hesitant to post and ask about the soot on the aft balconies, especially the corner suites. I know several others who are booked in the suites who paid a great deal of money for them and are frustrated because they, including me, can not find out any information about the soot problem. No one at Princess seems to know anything about the soot. They all say, "oh, we haven't heard anything". We cruise to relax and want to be alone and just enjoy the views from our balcony. It is too late for us to cancel our Christmas cruise but are afraid what we might find. We truly will go nuts if we can't use our balcony.

Everyone says they will be able to make corrections on the Regal to solve this issue but what about the people on the Royal.

Pat, Other than cleaning your balcony, did they offer any solutions for you?

I know cc members are a very small percentage of passengers on the ships and I feel sorry for people that have no idea what is going on. My expectations have gone way down.

I don't do Facebook but has there been any discussion about the soot on Princess's Facebook page. If so, what did they say?

Yes, Pat, I did see it and your post (sorry about your soot problems) but when I see posts like "According to the numerous posts in the numerous Royal bashing topics" I have been very hesitant to post and ask about the soot on the aft balconies, especially the corner suites. I know several others who are booked in the suites who paid a great deal of money for them and are frustrated because they, including me, can not find out any information about the soot problem. No one at Princess seems to know anything about the soot. They all say, "oh, we haven't heard anything". We cruise to relax and want to be alone and just enjoy the views from our balcony. It is too late for us to cancel our Christmas cruise but are afraid what we might find. We truly will go nuts if we can't use our balcony.

Everyone says they will be able to make corrections on the Regal to solve this issue but what about the people on the Royal.

Pat, Other than cleaning your balcony, did they offer any solutions for you?

I know cc members are a very small percentage of passengers on the ships and I feel sorry for people that have no idea what is going on. My expectations have gone way down.

I don't do Facebook but has there been any discussion about the soot on Princess's Facebook page. If so, what did they say?

My DH was not impressed with our soot problem. We had paid for a "premuim deluxe cabin" on the Aft of the Royal Princess and only used it a couple of times with towels spread out on the chairs because of the soot.

DH made his displeasure known to the Customer Relations Manager in person after several washdown attempts that didn't solve the problem. The soot covered the deck each day...grainy particles as well as the fine black dusty soot that covered everything out there. She gave us an OBC for the difference in price between a "premuim Aft Cabin" and a deluxe cabin on the side of the ship.

We are not whiner's and this is the first time we've ever made a complaint. We always book balcony cabins as we like to use our own balcony to suntan and not bother going up to the pool area.

Hopefully Princess will address this problem on the Royal Princess as soon as possible. It involves changing out the "too short smoke stacks" to longer stacks and I'm not sure they can do this until she goes in for a drydock tune-up??

Good Luck with your cruise.

Pat :)

My TA is currently on the Royal and, as we have an aft booked for February, I asked her to investigate what, if anything, is being done. I'll report back when I hear from her.

PS My husband looked at some photos of the Royal and said that the problem is the size and height of the MUTS screen that diverts the air. he said they need to put a diverter up behind the screen.

Edited by chamima

There have been lots of posts on here as to why the condition exists. Some have said Princess reps told them it was because the exhaust stacks are not tall enough while others have reported that it is caused by an air flow issue around the MUTS screen. Either way it appears to be a structural issue and isn't going to be fixed until she goes into a dry dock and I don't see any scheduled. This isn't as simple a fix as chipping off some rust and repainting. I'm afraid this may continue to be an issue for some time to come.

Got off the Royal on 11/24. Had an aft cabin on Baja. It certainly wasn't fixed at that time.. :mad:

Here's hoping It's fixed soon.

-Andrew

Hi Andrew,

How bad was it? We're you able to use your balcony at all? We are booked in an aft cabin on the royal in march.

Thanks for your help,

Kelly

Kelly,

A lot of posters have said the aft balconies were unusable. I wouldn't go that far, per se. But to use the balcony was a problem.

Our cabin steward was great at keeping it clean. But right after he cleaned it, it would be dirty again. Our only option to use the balcony was to either wear dirty clothes, or to wipe everything down before we went out there and risk having soot land on us.

So the balcony was useable, to an extent. Just not in the most convenient way.. :(

-Andrew

My DH was not impressed with our soot problem. We had paid for a "premuim deluxe cabin" on the Aft of the Royal Princess and only used it a couple of times with towels spread out on the chairs because of the soot.

DH made his displeasure known to the Customer Relations Manager in person after several washdown attempts that didn't solve the problem. The soot covered the deck each day...grainy particles as well as the fine black dusty soot that covered everything out there. She gave us an OBC for the difference in price between a "premuim Aft Cabin" and a deluxe cabin on the side of the ship.

We are not whiner's and this is the first time we've ever made a complaint. We always book balcony cabins as we like to use our own balcony to suntan and not bother going up to the pool area.

Hopefully Princess will address this problem on the Royal Princess as soon as possible. It involves changing out the "too short smoke stacks" to longer stacks and I'm not sure they can do this until she goes in for a drydock tune-up??

Good Luck with your cruise.

What deck were you on?

As previously mentioned in this thread and the other "soot" threads, Princess has finally admitted to a design flaw in that the stacks are too short. I did have an aft deluxe balcony booked for Sept. of 2014 but luckily was able to change it to one of the deluxe angled balconies on Dolphin deck. I do feel bad for all of those passengers booked for Caribbean cruises with these aft balconies but as everyone has said, there is not a quick fix for this and it would need to be an extended dry dock to replace these stacks. :(

We were on the Dolphin deck...D728. Balcony half covered. Comparable in size to a Caribe Deck balcony on the other Princess ships like the Crown...Ruby and Emerald.

Thanks, I'm in D729 for next years cruise. I need to change the cabin but am disappointed as I was looking forward to that cabin.

As previously mentioned in this thread and the other "soot" threads, Princess has finally admitted to a design flaw in that the stacks are too short. I did have an aft deluxe balcony booked for Sept. of 2014 but luckily was able to change it to one of the deluxe angled balconies on Dolphin deck. I do feel bad for all of those passengers booked for Caribbean cruises with these aft balconies but as everyone has said, there is not a quick fix for this and it would need to be an extended dry dock to replace these stacks. :(

You've done the right thing...

We're just off the Royal and had D727 (corner Owner's Suite) and my brother and sister-in-law were in D729 (premium deluxe balcony). Upon boarding the furniture had permanent soot marks (on the Owner's Suite balcony it was embedded in the wooden furniture and the chaise/chair cushions - our steward provided beach towels to cover the cushions), the second day (and at varying times on other days) the exhaust smell was overpowering, one morning the soot was pea size all over the balcony -- that was the day they warned us in advance that the balcony wouldn't be usable since workmen would be on it (and they were - off and on the entire day), the last two sea days were better but we still had to wipe down the furniture and every now and then there was a smell of exhaust which eventually chased us back inside. On top of that the rugs in the stateroom are discolored near the doors (and in other places) from previous passengers (probably unknowingly) tracking in the soot. When we complained to passenger services they weren't surprised and immediately said we would be offered compensation. My DB and SIL accepted their offer, we will be negotiating with headquarters. Everyone assured us they are 'working on it' (including the engineer who, during a presentation, said they were meeting that day with the Italians who built the ship via conference call) but obviously no one was even hazarding a guess as to when it would be fixed. If it was an easy fix, it would have been done already and I really have to wonder if no one walked to the back of the ship during sea trials.... how could this have come as a surprise?

Edited by capriccio

I really have to wonder if no one walked to the back of the ship during sea trials.... how could this have come as a surprise?
As I understand it from people who took the ship's tour on the Royal's T/A in October, they did all the wind tunnel tests without the MUTS screen in place and didn't re-test. It's obviously an engineering "Fail" for which someone is accountable. During sea trials, they would be checking the engines, thrusters, stabilizers, ship speed, stability, etc. Doubt anyone checked the aft balconies. Edited by Pam in CA

You've done the right thing...

We're just off the Royal and had D727 (corner Owner's Suite) and my brother and sister-in-law were in D729 (premium deluxe balcony). Upon boarding the furniture had permanent soot marks (on the Owner's Suite balcony it was embedded in the wooden furniture and the chaise/chair cushions - our steward provided beach towels to cover the cushions), the second day (and at varying times on other days) the exhaust smell was overpowering, one morning the soot was pea size all over the balcony -- that was the day they warned us in advance that the balcony wouldn't be usable since workmen would be on it (and they were - off and on the entire day), the last two sea days were better but we still had to wipe down the furniture and every now and then there was a smell of exhaust which eventually chased us back inside. On top of that the rugs in the stateroom are discolored near the doors (and in other places) from previous passengers (probably unknowingly) tracking in the soot. When we complained to passenger services they weren't surprised and immediately said we would be offered compensation. My DB and SIL accepted their offer, we will be negotiating with headquarters. Everyone assured us they are 'working on it' (including the engineer who, during a presentation, said they were meeting that day with the Italians who built the ship via conference call) but obviously no one was even hazarding a guess as to when it would be fixed. If it was an easy fix, it would have been done already and I really have to wonder if no one walked to the back of the ship during sea trials.... how could this have come as a surprise?

As I understand it from people who took the ship's tour on the Royal's T/A in October, they did all the wind tunnel tests without the MUTS screen in place and didn't re-test. It's obviously an engineering "Fail" for which someone is accountable. During sea trials, they would be checking the engines, thrusters, stabilizers, ship speed, stability, etc. Doubt anyone checked the aft balconies.

Capriccio, thanks for responding to my post. I included Pam in the quote as she did play a role in my decision to quickly find another bigger balcony for September 14 TA.

I was supposed to be on the Venice to Ft. Lauderdale TA this past fall and when my Mom begged to go, I switched to an aft balcony to accommodate her and a scooter for her. She ended up in the hospital before the trip, and I had to cancel the whole thing. I followed everyone's live thread and Pam had told me Venice was such a mess because of the weather, it was a good thing I cancelled as my mother has such mobility problems. After following the live threads and reading about the soot, I quickly looked on the web site and saw the premium balcony on Dolphin deck - the only one - and called the TA. I didn't even wait to call my friend who is traveling with me.

I'm sure it was karma when that trip was cancelled as it has resulted in many benefits for me. Got the new cabin, met my friend from Dublin in FL and we did a quick 10 days on the Emerald, and avoided the soot. Funny how things work out.

I do have 2 cruises planned on the Royal and looking forward to them.:):):)

Marcia

We had wrap around suite clients aboard the Dec 8-Dec 15 Eastern Caribbean and were aboard ourselves. The soot on the balcony was absurd and the deck floor looked like this ship was years old, not brand new.

When our guests arrived after embarkation, we went with them to their suite.

The "mats" on the lounge chairs were covered with a greasy black soot as were the rails, the table and the "gutters" which were also rusted and paint chipped off. We immediately contacted Guest Services and were assured they would send a crew to clean up the balcony, which they did. The two words we used were "FILTHY" and "DISGUSTING" as we described the conditions on that balcony, which was one of if not the most expensive room on this ship. However, we looked over the rails and could see the adjacent balconies which all had the same problem. Princess replaced the lounge mats and cleaned the place, but next day--same problem--which continued EVERY DAY of our 7 day cruise. Princess did give our clients a substantial cash settlement, but our guests would rather have had the luxury suite they paid for and not a soot dump.

EK &KK, and capriccio,

thanks you so much for posting your experiences. I know nothing major can be done until a dry dock and also about MUTS being the cause - people mentioned that ages ago but what I really wanted to hear was what you two wrote (well - not really) and have wondered what people have been told on Princess.

I figured nothing was done so I have very low expectations and to be honest - I am really pissed about this (we could be at some luxury resort for what we are paying for this cabin) and hope it doesn't spoil our long awaited vacation. I am going to do everything in my power to get out and enjoy other areas of the ship but my husband just likes to stay on the balcony and enjoy the view.

Would like to hear from others especially if you have had no soot issues in your aft suite.

thanks again for posting