Best Suitcase For A Luggage Murderer?

frisbeewife

...sigh... I don't know what it is, but DH absolutely butchers every suitcase he travels with. He's lucky if he gets 3 flights out of them, compared to dozens of flights for me. He doesn't fly as often as me (I'm a former Road Warrior) but when he does the odds are incredibly good that his suitcase won't survive intact. The wheels break, the handles break, the zipper breaks - the list goes on and on. We both use the same suitcases, but if it's going to break it's going to be while he's traveling with it. He's actually a meticulous and careful person (a former chemist) and I don't know what he's doing wrong or if he is just jinxed by the Airline Luggage Handler gods.

So I'm looking for recommendations for luggage that might survive his karma. Hopefully something in the under $300 range for a checked-bag size.

Any suggestions?

My wife has some Samsonite that is over 4 years old. In the last 2 years she has travelled extensively for work, and the zippers, handles and wheels are still fine. Within the last couple of months, it has finally started to show a few frayed threads at the corners, purely cosmetic for now. I think it was somewhere in the $130 range when bought.

I have a "Magellan", which is from Academy Sports that is even older, and still perfect, although it has the inline wheels, not the spinners. Don't know about other places, but the Academy stores in my area are changing their inventory allocations, and the suitcase/duffel bag assortment seems to have taken a big hit in the variety offered, so it may no longer even be sold.

I recently bought a 2 piece set(25/21") of "Travelpro" for a bit under $150. I just bought it on a whim, because I thought it was a good price(seasonal clearance) and it looked decent. We have not had it long enough to comment on it's durability, but my wife says it is the brand that a large majority of the flight crews use.

As for the zipper issue, I am religious about using the wide luggage straps around everything, and have never had a zipper ripped apart.

We have Eagle Creek suitcases. We've been very happy with how well they stand up, as prior to getting them we had experiences similar to your husband. We once had two Eddie Bauer suitcases and neither one survived even one trip. Eagle Creek will repair (or replace) any of their suitcases should you have a problem. After a few years of (hard) use we did have the zipper tape wear through at one of the corners. We did have to pay for shipping to Eagle Creek. That was around $30 (at the UPS Store) for a large size (30"), but they repaired and returned the suitcase at no charge. They did an excellent job replacing the zipper. It didn't look like it had been repaired at all - other than the zipper was again in perfect condition.

Edited by Mary Ellen

About three years ago, we realized that it was time to replace our worn out luggage. I did a lot of research about different brands and read a lot of customer reviews. We chose Samsonite. It's middle priced and well made. So far, knock on wood, it's held up pretty well. A few scuff marks from the airport conveyor belts (hard to avoid those), but other than that, I'm very pleased with our choice and would happily recommend Samsonite to anyone.;)

I wouldn't spend big bucks on a bag that might survive. Get a bag at SteinMart, TJ Maxx, Marshalls, Burlington Coat Factory, etc. Most are name brand and deeply discounted. If a bag that you haven't spent much on is murdered, you aren't out a lot.

I am a firm believer in LL Bean luggage (or anything, for that matter). They have a lifetime, no reservations, guarantee. You can return an item to them for any reason (bad zipper, torn fabric, whatever), at any time, and the only thing you have to say is, "I'm no longer satisfied", and they will either replace or refund.

P.S. they are really very well built as well.

Edited by chengkp75

I am a firm believer in LL Bean luggage (or anything, for that matter). They have a lifetime, no reservations, guarantee. You can return an item to them for any reason (bad zipper, torn fabric, whatever), at any time, and the only thing you have to say is, "I'm no longer satisfied", and they will either replace or refund.

You cannot go wrong with LL Bean:)

Guest maddycat

I agree with the above statement. LLBean stands behind every thing that they sell.

I really like buying luggage. So many choices. I have Eagle Creek - and they do guarantee their stuff. I have very soft sides and I find them hard to pack even with the cubes and envelops. Costco has good stuff - Kirkland brand is guaranteed but I the stuff I had was way too heavy. I bought a 2 piece Samsonite from Costco. I like the sizes and the spinner feature. They also guarantee their cases and you can get them repaired or replaced if DH is a one or two trip luggage basher.

DD flies Rome-LAX twice a year, eight flights minimum. She's been using a Jordache Brown Tweed 26"? suitcase. We picked it up in Goodwill for $5 three years ago. It was one of those first wheeled bags with the four puny wheels. It's still going strong.

Either get him a brand that will repair or buy the 'cheap' stuff at Ross, Marshall's etc.

On the Fashion and Beauty board there is a gal who works in a luggage store. She has a list of those higher end brands that will repair- Briggs & Riley, Tumi, Rimowa etc

Also look at LL Bean, Lands End, REI, Osprey, ebags and Eagle Creek.

I'm an Osprey person. They also have a no questions guarantee. My bags have been through a lot in the past 4 years and all the pieces show no signs of wear. I've got Porter bags in 46 and 65 Litre sizes and a wheeled Soujourn in the 25" (60 Litre) size. Perfect for everything I do.

I also have 2 eBags Motherlode TLC bags - the Weekender and the Weekender Jr. My carryons when I'm just doing carryons. 22" and 20" (no wheels on them) so I am good for either type of flight restrictions.

The three brands we sell that have lifetime warranties are Briggs and Riley (what I have and use) Eagle Creek (love it!) and Victorinox (although their lifetime warranty is not really lifetime, more like 7 years).

Go in person and look for yourself…to a luggage store if you have one convenient. There is a difference in brands that you cannot tell online. Many people prefer cheap luggage because they just throw it out when it breaks or gets trashed, a better quality bag will withstand torture better.

We also own and use Tumi, I have some old Gen 4 pieces and the newer Alpha pieces. My oldest piece, a rolling, huge, garment bag has been on multiple flights, cruises, car trips, etc… and it doesn't even have a mark on it. Same with our newer 24 inch Alpha, perfect size for airlines since it's not large enough to overpack. The downside to Tumi is the weight, they still build it to last.

If you have an older piece of luggage that is sturdy, the reason is that it is built with structure and heavier denier fabric. The newer lightweight stuff has eliminated those features, so of course it will damage easier.

My Briggs and Riley is also holding up very well. I own a lot of luggage, the downside of a part time job in a luggage store :roll eyes: My husband does not want me to bring one more case home ;)

Edit to add, I'm not familiar with LL Bean, but I've always read good things about them.

Edited by Happy ks

I don't think there is any brand that is impervious to airline mangling. They will destroy the best of luggage. It's just a matter of luck. I have 2 bags of high quality and the larger is more mangled than the smaller. As far as sending luggage mangled by the airlines for repair, no thanks, I'll buy another bag for them to mishandle.

I don't think there is any brand that is impervious to airline mangling. They will destroy the best of luggage. It's just a matter of luck. I have 2 bags of high quality and the larger is more mangled than the smaller. As far as sending luggage mangled by the airlines for repair, no thanks, I'll buy another bag for them to mishandle.[/quote/]

Older pieces that are heavier and the more expensive lines , such as Tumi or Briggs and Riley have better structure to the bag. Plus a heavier denier fabric that withstands tears better than the more recent lightweight brands.

Don't be fooled by sI called designer brand names, such as those sold at discount store such as TJ Maxx. I've looked at some of them and can tell they will only last a trip or two from the construction. And...all those discount prices are the true value of those pieces. I don't shop in those stores often, but when I have there can be the rare time you find a gem amongst the rabble, i did find a Tumi leather backpack once and a beautiful leather carry on that I still regret not buying. Even at TJMaxx prices the leather carry on was still over $400.

You can't even trust stores like Macy's or JC Penney to get the right price. All the stuff the carry is always on sale. Macy's will even advertise a piece that we carry and it will be the same price we carry it for all the time. JCPenney every year advertises student backpacks on sale, we will have the piece at the same price or lower. I think most of us trust advertising too much.

I recently bought Travel Pro at TJMAXX/HomeGoods. It's nice luggage and very lightweight. Before that I always shopped on EBAGS.com

Travel Pro used to be very well made luggage, it has changed dramatically over the years. Ebags prices are the same as any other luggage supplier, online or in person store. We do price matches with them and other online sellers all the time, people are surprised they are not saving by buying online. Most of them don't charge shipping, which is expected (by me, just like shoe or Amazon online sources) since they drop ship and have little overhead compared to a store. Also quite convenient for when people cannot shop in person or don't have a luggage store close by.

I have two reasons I don't like online shopping, number one is you don't really know what you're getting until it's delivered, I like to see and feel. The second is I prefer to support my local community and the jobs stores provide.

Edited by Happy ks

I wouldn't spend big bucks on a bag that might survive. Get a bag at SteinMart, TJ Maxx, Marshalls, Burlington Coat Factory, etc. Most are name brand and deeply discounted. If a bag that you haven't spent much on is murdered, you aren't out a lot.

I agree...any luggage can be murdered very easily...and the reason I don't want to spend much on it.

After our last trip this past October I had decided to retire one of our bags...however...Delta did it for me...and much to my surprise when we landed at LAX and saw what had happened and brought it to their attention...we were taken to a secured area and given a new very nice bag as a replacement....I never knew DL did this :D

I'm an Osprey person. They also have a no questions guarantee. My bags have been through a lot in the past 4 years and all the pieces show no signs of wear. I've got Porter bags in 46 and 65 Litre sizes and a wheeled Soujourn in the 25" (60 Litre) size. Perfect for everything I do.

I also have 2 eBags Motherlode TLC bags - the Weekender and the Weekender Jr. My carryons when I'm just doing carryons. 22" and 20" (no wheels on them) so I am good for either type of flight restrictions.

Another advantage of Osprey luggage is that they have a line that is extremely light - about 4 pounds 14 ounces for a 28" bag.

http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/product/ultra-light_bags/ozone_2880l?tab=specifications

You can't beat that weight. We bought ours at REI at one of their 20% off sales.

DON

Travel Pro used to be very well made luggage, it has changed dramatically over the years. Ebags prices are the same as any other luggage supplier, online or in person store. We do price matches with them and other online sellers all the time, people are surprised they are not saving by buying online. Most of them don't charge shipping, which is expected (by me, just like shoe or Amazon online sources) since they drop ship and have little overhead compared to a store. Also quite convenient for when people cannot shop in person or don't have a luggage store close by.

I have two reasons I don't like online shopping, number one is you don't really know what you're getting until it's delivered, I like to see and feel. The second is I prefer to support my local community and the jobs stores provide.

I agree that TravelPro is not the suitcases manufacturer that they used to be. Although the body of the suitcase appears to be well made the wheels may be the downfall of this set. I bought spinners thinking it would be easier for me to move two pieces by myself...24" and 21"... The wheels perform fine on hard, smooth surfaces, but any change sends them tipping over. :mad: I still like them and will use them frequently, but probably for occasions that I won't have to move them great distances by myself.

I will go back to using my Ebags, Mother Lode wheeled duffles for long trips.