What's with the prices to Alaska?

terigo

About 4 months ago, we booked the Millennium for June. As we always do, we check the prices periodically to see if there have been any reductions. But every time I check, the price has gone up.

As of now, our cruisetour is $855 more per person than we are paying!

The veranda prices are now what the suite prices were 4 months ago.

Has anyone see this before?

I'm not complaining, but this is the first time I have seen such a jump in fares.

I have noticed the same thing on our cruise to the Mediterranean. I booked at a price I thought was a little high. Now, the price is $800 pp more than what I paid. Maybe the economy is getting better? That is how we started to cruise a few years ago. We booked rock-bottom prices, but things were bad then in the travel business.

Alaska prices for 2014 are nuts! We are booked for a five day land tour followed by the 7 night cruise Seward to Vancouver. The land tour price wasn't too bad but the cruise was crazy! We too are watching but so far the already high fares just keep getting higher.

About 4 months ago, we booked the Millennium for June. As we always do, we check the prices periodically to see if there have been any reductions. But every time I check, the price has gone up.

As of now, our cruisetour is $855 more per person than we are paying!

The veranda prices are now what the suite prices were 4 months ago.

Has anyone see this before?

I'm not complaining, but this is the first time I have seen such a jump in fares.

I cruised Millennium this past June and about this time last year, noticed the same thing. June is a popular month and is in high demand due to the short season. The prices never came down on my cruise. All I can say is, feel fortunate you booked early.

June is a popular month for Alaska cruising -- we always book our Alaska cruises the first day bookings open and then monitor our reservation for possible price drop. Most of the time, our cruise price has increased --- there is only one year (when the industry was hurting) that we saw substantial savings on our cruise.

Hi,

My $0.02C ....

A few months ago, when they ''tested '' a '' %%'' promo as opposed to other types, ==X== also vastly simplified their rating structures, which now consist mainly ''standard'' and best rate'' ....and both were basically brochure rack price. Future promos will frequently involve a ''xx % '' off.

..which will be non-combinable with the usual''SR'', GTY'' ,RES'' etc.etc....

You book standard with ,say, 15% off....this is what you get. Should a RES,GTY, SR, and other such promos come along ;; if you want them, you first give up your original 15% off, go back to standard...then use the other promo, if it still makes sense.

Typical of the cruise lines ' rate behaviour, there is nothing crystal clear about all this.....not should we expect any consistancy....

But with the 123-GO promo, starting off from a now elevated ''standard'' rate is still a good deal...at times better than the recent ''Savings thanks''%% promo.

My opinion only.

Cheers

I have noticed that the prices for Europe for next year are also very high. For the same cruise that I went on this year, the prices are about 50% higher for next year. I suspect the prices will drop as time goes by. For the cruise that I went on this year, I booked a year in advance, and obtained a very good group rate. The price on Celebrity's website stayed high, until just after the final payment due date, when the prices were slashed. I doubt that demand will be that much higher next year, and I suspect that Celebrity will have to reduce the prices. I am thinking about waiting to book until after the final payment date to try to take advantage of any last minute price reductions.

Edited by cruiserchuck

We are booked for the late summer, and are hoping for a price drop as well. Though I think it is important that you are satisfied with the price from the get go, and anything less than that is gravy.

Does anyone have any tips on the Millennium through Alaska? We've booked the 8 hour tour in Anchorage, but haven't looked at port excursions yet.

Next time we're going to do HAL through Dawson/Denali, pick up where this trip left off ;)

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor