Taking wine on a Celebrity cruise in Civitavecchia

gr82cu2

We will be doing a med cruise on Celebrity from Civitavecchia next year. I understand we are allowed to take on 2 bottles of wine for our stateroom. My question is, can we take more than that given that we are willing to pay the corkage fee ($25 per bottle with them, I believe?) We will be boarding this cruise after touring Italy on land and thought it might be nice to purchase bottles of our favorite wines we discover and enjoy while on the med cruise. Does anyone know if this is allowed. This is our first Celebrity cruise so I'm unsure of a few things. Thanks in advance!!!

I believe you can only have 2 bottles of wine per cabin ... The corkage fee is you want to bring those bottles into the dining room or specialty restaurants. I don't think its meant to bring as many bottles as you like and just pay a

$ 25.00 corkage fee per bottle

Make sure you take the bottles as hand luggage.

If they are in your suit case they will be scanned.

Your case won't be delivered to your cabin, and you will have to go to the luggage room to collect it. They will then confiscate the bottles ( irons too) until the last evening.

The allowance is two bottles per stateroom. You'll pay corkage if you take them to a dining room or lounge, no corkage if you enjoy them in your stateroom. Whether any more will be allowed during the cruise depends on how vigilant the screeners are. You may take more on, or you may not. The thing is, you won't know ahead of time. If they take them from you and don't give them back until the last night, there will be the issue of how you will get them home.

The allowance is two bottles per stateroom. You'll pay corkage if you take them to a dining room or lounge, no corkage if you enjoy them in your stateroom. Whether any more will be allowed during the cruise depends on how vigilant the screeners are. You may take more on, or you may not. The thing is, you won't know ahead of time. If they take them from you and don't give them back until the last night, there will be the issue of how you will get them home.

Excellent answer, we saw people on our last cruise, which was a wine cruise, being handed back their wine which had been purchased while away, and just hoped that they weren't flying home, and we in fact from the UK. I don't know how they would manage otherwise !

Make sure you take the bottles as hand luggage.

If they are in your suit case they will be scanned.

Your case won't be delivered to your cabin, and you will have to go to the luggage room to collect it. They will then confiscate the bottles ( irons too) until the last evening.

My business partner made the mistake of leaving the two bottles of wine on his checked bags. He had to go to the luggage room and collect his bag, but he was allowed to take the wine to the cabin.

Edited by drarill

We will be doing a med cruise on Celebrity from Civitavecchia next year. I understand we are allowed to take on 2 bottles of wine for our stateroom. My question is, can we take more than that given that we are willing to pay the corkage fee ($25 per bottle with them, I believe?) We will be boarding this cruise after touring Italy on land and thought it might be nice to purchase bottles of our favorite wines we discover and enjoy while on the med cruise. Does anyone know if this is allowed. This is our first Celebrity cruise so I'm unsure of a few things. Thanks in advance!!!

Put the wine in Rumrunners. Then put those in your checked luggage.

Does that mean I have to carry the two bottles on in my carry on or they won't deliver my luggage to my room if they are in there? Also, what about those small three glasses worth box-type containers of wine, hope they are allowed. I've only read about bottles being ok. :eek:

We cruised out of Civitevecchia last year on the first half of a B2B. We bought wine at one of the ports, anticipating that it would be returned to us for the second cruise. It was allowed through, so at the next port we bought some more, which also made it to our cabin. By the last stop we had no wine left, so bought two bottles. They were confiscated and returned to our cabin the last evening of the first cruise. We made no attempt to hide the bottles, just carried them on in the store bags, so application of the rules was inconsistent.

Sheila

How many others will be in the line with you as you board? Who will be working the security line? Who gave them their instructions? There are so many variables.

Lots of people trying to reboard all at once, you might be overlooked.

An eager trainee working the security line, you will probably be stopped.

Whether you are willing to pay corkage is of no importance

Although others have made comments to the contary I boarded in Civitavecchia on November 1 and I heard from several people that they are very liberal with the policy. The brought on extra bottles of wine in their checked luggage. I did not bring any because I have the package, but I have on many cruises from other ports.

The standard is a 750 ml bottle of wine or it's equivalent. Some people report that boxed wine packed in the checked luggage typically makes it through without notice. You can put 2 bottles in your suitcase. If they contact you to pick up your bags they'll ask you to open the suitcase to be sure there are only 2 bottles there. They'll give you the 2 bottles back as long as you don't say you brought additional bottles on board. You can also carry 2 in your carry ons and have your cabin mate carries 2 in their carry on. Walk through the security line separately so it's not noticed that you're together and with 4 bottles.