7nt SUMMIT vs 10nt EQUINOX

shayausten

I have having trouble deciding between the two. The itinerary for the SUMMIT leaves out of San Juan and goes to St.Croix,St.Kitts,RoseauDominica,Grenada,St.Thomas.

The Equinox leaves out of Ft.Lauderdale and goes to St.Thomas,St.Kitts,Barbados,RoseauDominica,St.Maarten.

I can get a balcony on the Summit or an ocean view cabin on the Equinox. With airfare it comes out about the same. I know a 10nt seems better but I have not had an ocean view cabin before not have I been on a cruise longer than 7 nights. I have sailed on both the Eclipse and Solstice but not the Summit class ships. Any opinions?????? Oh, this is for next month. I am really last minute.

Edited by shayausten

For me, it would be a no brainer; Equinox for 10 days, the main reason being 10 vs. 7 days. While we love Summit, & will be on her again next month, Equinox is, IMO, the nicer ship. To me, the best would be if Equinox did the 10/11 nighters out of San Juan like millennium did a few years ago.

Which ever you decide, have a great cruise!

I've never been a fan of the 7-night San Juan cruises. Too many ports in a very short period of time. My good friend was mugged in St. Croix on a land-based trip, in a supposed tourist area, too. Grenada was just okay. Not really a high point of the islands I've visited.

10 days is nice since flying to FLL is a lot easier than flying all the way to SJU

More relaxing altogether! at least 4 sea days, which means a lot when you're trying to relax. We loved the Equinox. We also loved the Infinity, sister ship to the Summit.

The islands are very nice on the 10-day itinerary, too, St. Martin, St. Thomas, Dominica, Barbados.

Edited by 4cats4me

I have having trouble deciding between the two. The itinerary for the SUMMIT leaves out of San Juan and goes to St.Croix,St.Kitts,RoseauDominica,Grenada,St.Thomas.

The Equinox leaves out of Ft.Lauderdale and goes to St.Thomas,St.Kitts,Barbados,RoseauDominica,St.Maarten.

I can get a balcony on the Summit or an ocean view cabin on the Equinox. With airfare it comes out about the same. I know a 10nt seems better but I have not had an ocean view cabin before not have I been on a cruise longer than 7 nights. I have sailed on both the Eclipse and Solstice but not the Summit class ships. Any opinions?????? Oh, this is for next month. I am really last minute.

Given your choices, I would go with the 10 days over the 7 days. However, leaving from FLL will probably cost you 2 days (1 each way) of cool weather that you might not enjoy. That is why we like to leave from San Juan. Next month we are on 2 B2B from San Juan on Summit. We find that we do not use the balcony that much on a port intensive cruise so maybe you can swing a B2B for 14 days from San Juan at about the same price. We love the longer cruises but as retirees don't have to worry about time off from work.

Thanks for all the advice. I would love to do a 14 day but we have kids at home to get back to. We are both 47 but still have an 11 and 17 year old at home. I wish we were retired :) It is so hard to pick one but I know I need to soon as the last minute deals will disappear.

Either cruise would be great, but may I ask why you are comparing the pricing of a balcony on the Summit to an ocean view on the Equinox? If you compare pricing of an ocean view to ocean view the cost of the Summit is significantly less than the Equinox.

IMHO you should first focus on the itinerary you prefer then see if you can make it happen.

All that being said, get me on a ship and I'm happy. I love the S-Class ships but also have great memories of the Millennium Class ships.

I have done the 19 night and loved it, and also similar trips from San Juan. I'm sure you checked that the opposite weeks,the Summit does different and IMO better islands including ST Lucia and St Maarten.

If you compare same room categories, you could likely add a night or 2 in Old San Juan and spend the same amount of money. That way you'd still have a longer vacation.

That said, I remember being on an 11 day Norwegian cruise and on day four being amazed knowing that would be like starting a normal 7 day cruise right then. These are first world tough decisions to be sure.

Either cruise would be great, but may I ask why you are comparing the pricing of a balcony on the Summit to an ocean view on the Equinox? If you compare pricing of an ocean view to ocean view the cost of the Summit is significantly less than the Equinox.

IMHO you should first focus on the itinerary you prefer then see if you can make it happen.

All that being said, get me on a ship and I'm happy. I love the S-Class ships but also have great memories of the Millennium Class ships.

I really want a balcony but cannot justify spending an extra 1500 on the Equinox to have one. That is why I am comparing the ocean view on Equinox to the balcony on the Summit.I guess I could look at the ocean view on Summit. We have not been to any of the islands listed on either cruise so it would all be new to us. I want to go snorkeling really bad so need money for lots of excursions. :)

Once you do 14 nights, you don't want to go back! The Equinox is wonderful; we did a 10 day Med cruise on it, and loved every minute of it! My DH felt the same way about more than 7 days, but he has become a believer...do the 10 days!:)

However, whatever you choose...have a wonderful time! The temps in florida have been great so far this fall/winter; even downright HOT in some places.

Edited by Lastdance

The Summit 7 night out of San Juan is a really nice trip, especially if you haven't been to San Juan. We have dome that trip a couple of times. The ship is bit older but still a class act. You mention that you haven't been to any of the ports on the two itineraries. That being the case the 7 day will much more port intensive, which perhaps may reduce the perceived practical value of the balcony if you spend those days roaming around on shore. The 10 night Equinox option is very nice itinerary as well plus the ship is newer with a few amenities not found on the Summit, e.g. Molecular Bar. We have done that itinerary, albeit with a balcony. With the same number of ports the trip won't be as harried. Comparing the two I would give the edge to the Equinox (even without balcony) due the extra days, plus a slightly better itinerary -although again I must say we really do enjoy San Juan. If you opt for the Summit then I would absolutely concur with others who suggested that you think about booking a couple of days pre or post cruise there.

Well I did it. I booked the Equinox. I sure hope I like an ocean view. I will miss the balcony but would miss the 1500 dollar difference even more :). Thanks for all the help. Now to meet someone on our cruise on the boards and plan shore excursions.

If you like catamarans Silver Moon out of Barbados is the best. They may be sold out if your going next month. It's for either 12 or 24 passengers only. It's a private excursion (not through the cruise line)but they pick you up at the pier and drive 5 minutes to their catamaran. 1st class all the way!

If you like catamarans Silver Moon out of Barbados is the best. They may be sold out if your going next month. It's for either 12 or 24 passengers only. It's a private excursion (not through the cruise line)but they pick you up at the pier and drive 5 minutes to their catamaran. 1st class all the way!

agreed!! we did this 2 years ago and are on Silvermoon again while we sail EQuinox for 10 nights...again:D

you will love Equinox!