Helpful Hints for a New Cruiser

shrimp56

We've talked a good friend into joining us on the Zuiderdam for Christmas. She's coming over this evening for dinner and our helpful hints etc...

What 3 things would you want to tell a friend for their first trip on HAL? What would help them avoid pitfalls and improve their trip. Just the little things. We're pretty good with our own list such as getting laundry package and checking on dining first thing on boarding. What little things will make a difference for her?

Thanks in advance:)

We've talked a good friend into joining us on the Zuiderdam for Christmas. She's coming over this evening for dinner and our helpful hints etc...

What 3 things would you want to tell a friend for their first trip on HAL? What would help them avoid pitfalls and improve their trip. Just the little things. We're pretty good with our own list such as getting laundry package and checking on dining first thing on boarding. What little things will make a difference for her?

Pros:

Good service and attention from staff

good food in buffet and MDR

Nice quiet and subdued colors on the ship.

Cons:

Expect to pay about $100 per day for tours , drinks, gratuities etc

Getting directions mixed up on the ship for a few days.

Lines every where.

Seeing you are sailing with your friend, she isn't likely to get caught in too many traps. You will guide her as your cruise progresses. :)

When she reaches for one of those pretty tropical blender frozen drinks at sail away party, you'll advise her it isn't complimentary. ;) Many first time cruisers think it's a party and the cruise ship is supplying those drinks. :)

Edited by sail7seas

Take a light wrap of some kind because the ship is often chilly in public areas.

The purser's (customer relations) desk will break larger bills into 1's, 5's, 10's and 20's which are needed for extra tips and small purchases in ports.

You can ask your room steward for extra towels, etc.

LuLu

~~~~

Cruisers should understand that the "Cruises from $699" is a come on price. Budget for much more, including at least $11.50 per day per person hotel charge. Taxes, alcohol, gambling, photos, shore excursions, airfare, spa treatments, parking, yoga, transfers, pilates, and premium coffees can add much more.

A cruise line employee said that 10% of cruisers on his line exceed the limits on their credit cards. Do not be one of them.

Getting directions mixed up on the ship for a few days.

Lines every where.

We've cruised 3 times with HAL (Veendam, Volendam and Eurodam) and still end up at the theater rather than the MDR at least once a cruise. This is even more embarrassing when you realize that HAL ships' layouts are very similar.

Thanks for the practical comments and, in your case sail, the compliment:) I hope someday we will meet on a dark blue hulled ship:)

Edited by shrimp56

1. Wrap up your habits and leave them at home. You will return to them in a few days. Sea travel is not what you used to have on land. It's different. It's time to learn and explore.

2. Get the most of your sea travel. Don't waste your time in the cabin. This is not a hotel. Be out and about the ship. Don't use room service. Get up early. Enjoy the best breakfast at sea in the buffet. Stay active.

3. Don't pay for anything extra (except Hydropool & Thermal suite and specialty dining). Leave extra tips for your steward and waiter.

Edited by cruisetrail

Seeing you are sailing with your friend, she isn't likely to get caught in too many traps. You will guide her as your cruise progresses. :)

When she reaches for one of those pretty tropical blender frozen drinks at sail away party, you'll advise her it isn't complimentary. ;) Many first time cruisers think it's a party and the cruise ship is supplying those drinks. :)

Great suggestion!

I just took my best friend on her first ever cruise (which happened to also be on the Zuiderdam). There are so many tips, but my #1 is wash you hands, wash your hands.

1. Do not over pack! After you've laid out all you think you want to take put 1/2 of it away and then put the rest in your suitcase. No one you meet onboard is going to be making notes about what you are wearing-- mix & match and rewear stuff. Remember all you pack at home must again be packed on your last cruise day. :eek:

2. Treat all HAL staff as you would like to be treated and it will come back to you threefold.

3. Don't try to do everything, take time out to just enjoy the "ride".

4. If you are served food that you find unpleasant or untasty ask for something else. Always ask you MDR waiters what they recommend. You don't have to take their suggestion but oft times they are right on the mark.

5. If something doesn't go right on your cruise (ie. missed port) don't take it personally. Stuff happens, roll with the punches and keep a positive attitude.

6. Plan on arriving at you port of departure a day in advance.

7. And yes, to repeat Cruising-along's suggestion wash you hands, wash your hands.

8. Last but not the least the one thing you must pack is a good attitude. That along will guarantee you a wonderful time.

I remember our first cruise, wish we would have had a friend like you to help us over the hurdles of cruising. I didn't even know about CC...so what did I know....nothing, except I was going to have the time of my life and we did.

Remember to look down at the mat in the elevator when you need to know what day it is...;)

The staff in my opinion is incredible and will go the distance for you if you have a problem...:)

Just enjoy the great opportunity you have to be cruising...the ship will be decorated beautifully for the holidays and Santa knows where to find you.

Take a journal and jot down a few lines every day about what you did and the highlights of your day. You will enjoy going back to it.

1. Wrap up your habits and leave them at home. You will return to them in a few days. Sea travel is not what you used to have on land. It's different. It's time to learn and explore.

2. Get the most of your sea travel. Don't waste your time in the cabin. This is not a hotel. Be out and about the ship. Don't use room service. Get up early. Enjoy the best breakfast at sea in the buffet. Stay active.

3. Don't pay for anything extra (except Hydropool & Thermal suite and specialty dining). Leave extra tips for your steward and waiter.

How about paying extra for a cabana. Hopefully a retreat cabana? . Not so sure if zuiderdam have them.

We've cruised 3 times with HAL (Veendam, Volendam and Eurodam) and still end up at the theater rather than the MDR at least once a cruise. This is even more embarrassing when you realize that HAL ships' layouts are very similar.

Thanks for the practical comments and, in your case sail, the compliment:) I hope someday we will meet on a dark blue hulled ship:)

Fun thread with some great suggestions. :)

it would be my pleasure, Shrimp, to have the chance to meet you aboard someday. One never knows; just might happen. :)

Have a Wonderful Cruise !

How about getting the right luggage that fits under the bed. I believe it's 28 inch . Hopefully I'm right. Others can comment please. I'm thinking space is limited in a normal non suite cabin. and it's ultra important to have the right size for luggage