How do you choose your stateroom?

MickeyNicki

Choosing a stateroom is very confusing to me. We usually stay in an ocean view for cost savings. How do you choose which room? Aft, mid-ship, forward? Then what floor? I have only been on 2 cruises previously, and this is very confusing to me. Any help you can provide would be very beneficial.

First you have to decide what is most important to you. What is a must have in a room? Location? Midship and lower decks are supposedly best for motion sickness though I've stay all over the ship and never had a problem. BUT I'm not really prone to motion sickness. But if you are, you might want to keep that in mind.

Is a balcony a must have for you? It is for some. For me, I prefer oceanviews. Some prefer insides because they are cheaper and some like the darkness.

Where on the ship would you rather stay if you had a choice? Close to the elevators? The Lido Deck? There are so many variables.

Get in front of a good deck plan. Carnival's website has a decent one under explore tab. Figure out what you prefer in a cabin (if anything at all) and your price range. Then go from there.

I think you have to decide how much you are willing to pay and how much space you want.

All of our cruises have been with our kiddos -- and the 4 of us in a tight space is not my favorite thing -- we have done it in an large inside room on the Destiny with everyone in the same space. That was a short cruise so it went fine. On all of our 7 day cruises, we have had 2 cabins. On the Miracle -- we had the inside/balcony combination which is a great money saver -- I wish all the ships had that option. Otherwise we have had connecting oceanview cabins.

Today I booked a 6K on the valor -- the scenic oceanview room. When I called to ask for that room in particular I knew more about it then the guy I was talking to at Carnival (although he was a wonderfully awesome rep). If you read the boards, you will learn about all the different types of rooms and what works for your family. That is part of the fun of planning your vacation!

And if you have specific questions -- feel free to ask!

I am fortunate to live near many ports and want to sail as often as I can (usually at least once a month). I also spend very little time in my cabin, even when I have booked balconies.

I understand this is a “hot topic” but I am a smoker so I want to be as close to a smoking area as I can.

For those reasons I usually book an inside cabin on the Lido deck or the next deck up. Those decks usually on have forward cabins (sometimes a few midship).

I also like the convenience of having the action of the Lido deck so close. I always try to book a cabin as far forward as I can because there is less foot traffic.

Thank you! I know I want an ocean view. We are good with walking, so that is not a big deal. I do prefer to have quiet during the late nights, so I don't want to be where there will be a lot of noise cleaning, etc. in the night. Given that information, I am wondering if I need to be in a location where there is staterooms above and below.

It is really what makes you happy! I love the balcony and watching the water go by I figure I make up the cost of the balcony by sitting out there hour after hour because if it I wasn't out there I'd be drinking by the pool. I stay in the aft area....it's really quite. Stay where u have cabins above and below u. You don't want to be staying right above a showroom or kitchen if you prefer to not have much noise. My favorite cabin ever is an aft extended balcony I could just watch that wake go by forever, but in the long run choose what u think fits your needs best.....you are on vacation so enjoy whatever u choose.

I think you have to decide how much you are willing to pay and how much space you want.

All of our cruises have been with our kiddos -- and the 4 of us in a tight space is not my favorite thing -- we have done it in an large inside room on the Destiny with everyone in the same space. That was a short cruise so it went fine. On all of our 7 day cruises, we have had 2 cabins. On the Miracle -- we had the inside/balcony combination which is a great money saver -- I wish all the ships had that option. Otherwise we have had connecting oceanview cabins.

Today I booked a 6K on the valor -- the scenic oceanview room. When I called to ask for that room in particular I knew more about it then the guy I was talking to at Carnival (although he was a wonderfully awesome rep). If you read the boards, you will learn about all the different types of rooms and what works for your family. That is part of the fun of planning your vacation!

The same thing happened to me when I booked our 6J for next year. I was using a TA, though, and figured he just didn't know what he was talking about. He was adamant that they didn't exist on anything other than the Valor.:) I agree read this board. It will introduce you to room types you didn't know existed. Like the 6J, 6K, 4Js, 1As, etc.

Mnelson is the inside / balcony option offered on the magic? Sounds like a good deal...

I look at the cruise I want to go on, than I figure what type of room I want than I check the site to see what ones are available and get back here ASAP with the name of the boat and the room and see if there are any reviews/comments on it than book or not. sometimes I will go on and just type in the search engine for best balcony or suite or whichever room I am going for and listen to the CC members and I have Never had a bad room or bad info! Good Luck!!!!

Mnelson is the inside / balcony option offered on the magic? Sounds like a good deal...

Br,

They are only on the spirit class ships -- The Miracle, the Legend, the Pride. They are all the way forward on like decks 6,7,8 maybe -- so it is the last inside cabin connected to the first balcony.

We loved it on the Miracle in Alaska. There are not that many of them so you have to get there early and ask for it. We were just down the hall from Camp Carnival which was a plus for us (but probably would not be for non-kid toting people)!

Missy

If Conquest class...4J on lido deck...love the location and the "private" balcony...short walk to the lido pool, food etc, short walk to go back to cabin or to use the cabin restroom...not that many cabins on that deck, so it is very quiet

First decide what type of cabin you prefer. Then, to me, the most important thing in choosing a cabin is what is located above and below.

You don't want to be located below the Lido deck area where chairs are moved around constantly or above/below or one of the late night nightclubs or any high traffic area.

Also, the lower decks forward and aft can be noisy due to waves banging on the bow, the anchor being lowered/raised and engine noise.

Just some of the things I take into consideration!

I like mid-ship because DH has motion issues.

DH likes "natural light"....and I like dark dark dark.

DH doesn't really like to cruise....so I have to accommodate him. We were on the Glory...Lido...once...and he really liked it. (Just a few steps away from "natural light".)

I like the Lido....you're in "the middle of it".

My ideal cabin is mid-ship Lido, inside. If not available....I'd book a Riviera deck, midship...oceanview.

It's also based on getting "the biggest bang for my buck".

I don't want to be "above or below" any possible noise situations (light sleeper).

This is why I book early....(but not ES because I may cancel). I get the cabin I want...and then monitor the price for a year.

I learned my lesson about being picky once when I had a guarantee. Never again.

I don't like inside cabins so we usually just book the cheapest oceanview cabin. I try to book a cabin with other cabins above us.

I also try to avoid cabins with connecting doors (heard they are louder although we've never had an issue).

I prefer 2-person cabins over 3-4 person cabins just because I think the folded up bed on the wall is ugly. :)

By price, first. Then by location midship etc... Then by how FAR it is from elevator, and if price is still good with all that, then by ship level.

Choosing a stateroom is very confusing to me. We usually stay in an ocean view for cost savings. How do you choose which room? Aft, mid-ship, forward? Then what floor? I have only been on 2 cruises previously, and this is very confusing to me. Any help you can provide would be very beneficial.

I must have a balcony. I spent lots of time out there and just simply enjoy being on the balcony watching the sea go by. If the ship has cove balconies, I choose that. Otherwise, I decide how much I want to spend on a balcony and decide from that if I want a regular balcony or extended/premium balcony. I make sure that I don't have an obstructed view either!

I like mid-ship or aft locations the best and I like PORT side of the ship. I prefer at least deck 7 or higher. I don't want to be on the Lido deck. Finally, I like being closer to the elevators but it is not a deal breaker.

If we are booking a long time ahead, I might specifically ask for a specific cabin but usually, our TA has a good idea of what works for us.

The only time I requested a different room from my TA was when they gave us a Lido cabin that was right near the outside doors. I just didn't want that loud music or the constant in and out of kids in the evening on the floor.

Its hard the first couple of times if you are not familiar with ship layout or design. But, it will come and be less overwhelming! happy cruising!

I haven't cruised yet (first one coming up in May) but I spent a LONG time debating which stateroom category to pick before I booked. I definitely wanted a window but DH and I are on a tight budget and even an OV was stretching it (DH doesn't care about the room, he will stay in anything, anywhere). Eventually I found the CC boards and discovered the PT rooms and ended up booking a PT on Riveria. The price was right, plus I got somewhat of a window.

However, the more I read on here, the more I had second thoughts about a PT room... the lack of a proper window, mainly (I am claustrophobic and was stressing about it). Plus, I was afraid of getting seasick being so far forward. Recently though, I was able to take advantage of the ES price perks and get upgraded to a 4J on the Upper deck for less than the price of our PT. I know we're still forward, but with a full-size window facing the the deck and sky, I feel much better about it. Since I've never been on a cruise, I don't know if I will get motion sickness or not but I am definitely coming prepared just in case!

So for my first cruise, I decided I needed to have a window and it needed to fit within our small budget. Now that I am on the boards and have read room reviews, I would be interested in trying other categories for future cruises and possibly Mid or Aft. But who knows, maybe I will fall in love with a 4J and they'll be my go to!

Edited by iheartmarshall