South Beach

Rose135

We will be staying in South Beach this Friday and Saturday before our Cruise !

Any suggestions of what to see and do ? Any suggestions of where to eat ?

It will be a family of 5 , ages 16 thru 65 in age.

What is your price range per person for meals?

What kind of food?

See and do? The beach? The spectacular South Beach deco pools, shopping, people watching.

Where are you staying?

There is the beach.

I would also walk around and enjoy the area with all of the shops, and restaurants.

Walk the boardwalk. It goes for quite a while and is nice.

There is a Holocaust Memorial that is very well done.

And it is also fun to people watch.

Keith

The spectacular South Beach deco pools,

?

BlueHerons,

Which maybe three hotels in South Beach have "impressive" pool areas... where we can take my neice and her husband for a drink while we are in the area in Feb.

Edited by eandj

BlueHerons,

Which maybe three hotels in South Beach have "impressive" pool areas... where we can take my neice and her husband for a drink while we are in the area in Feb.

The Delano because it is so iconic.

The Raleigh was famous because Ester Williams filmed a movie or two there.

The Gansavoort/Perry/Hotel 1 in South Beach if it has reopened since its 100 million dollar renovation (crazy, the hotel isn't ten years old), go to the rooftop pool.

The Mondrian is just too cool. The outside pool in addition to having insane views of Biscayne Bay, the sunset, and downtown Miami, has a way cool pool area.

Hmmn.

The Mondrian.

We are staying on Washington 2 blocks from the Beach ....I am hoping for suggestions for places to eat that that are good but will not break the bank .

David's Café (Cuban)

Big Pink (American)

News Café (American)

Tap Tap (Haitian)

Pizza Rustica

11th Street Diner

Puerto Saga (Cuban)

La Sandwicherie

We are heading down in February during the boat show and hotel prices are sky high. Some of you seem very knowledgeable of the area. Haven't been down for many years. Would like a nice hotel but don't want to pay over $300.

Not even sure if South Beach is close to the convention center or not. It is a busy time so I haven't had time and need to do some research but am afraid everything affordable will be booked ( many already are) by the time I have time to do it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

We are heading down in February during the boat show and hotel prices are sky high. Some of you seem very knowledgeable of the area. Haven't been down for many years. Would like a nice hotel but don't want to pay over $300.

Not even sure if South Beach is close to the convention center or not. It is a busy time so I haven't had time and need to do some research but am afraid everything affordable will be booked ( many already are) by the time I have time to do it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Not trying to be nosey but what are your actual dates? President's Week, Miami International Boat Show, and South Beach Food & Wine Festival are all in February making it the most expensive month of the year to book a room.

Thanks, you must know your stuff - yes, during the boat show. We get off the ship on the 9th but think we will head north until Thursday or Friday. I think we only need to stay 2 or maybe 3 days at the most (by then I will feel terrible that I don't have the money to buy a 130 footer) and then head to the other coast. So the dates would be somewhere between the 13th and 17th. Prices on the hotels I have checked out don't change much in price during that time.

Really appreciate any help in finding a place.

I'll second Puerto Saga restaurant if you like down-to-earth Cuban.

We were there in early November, and the hotel rates were sky-high then as well.

And I will never again stay right on Ocean Drive again, at least not on a weekend. Very crazy scene, reminds me of Venice Beach in L.A.

Thanks, you must know your stuff - yes, during the boat show. We get off the ship on the 9th but think we will head north until Thursday or Friday. I think we only need to stay 2 or maybe 3 days at the most (by then I will feel terrible that I don't have the money to buy a 130 footer) and then head to the other coast. So the dates would be somewhere between the 13th and 17th. Prices on the hotels I have checked out don't change much in price during that time.

Really appreciate any help in finding a place.

You'll find the prices all over South Florida bad that week. Go to http://www.Sunny.org and look for Small Superior Lodgings in Lauderdale-By-The-Sea or Hollywood Beach.

As far as the West Coast, Sarasota through Naples will also be horrible then. You may find better prices along St. Pete Beach. Siesta Key is the prettiest but will be the most expensive.

Good luck!!

You'll find the prices all over South Florida bad that week. Go to http://www.Sunny.org and look for Small Superior Lodgings in Lauderdale-By-The-Sea or Hollywood Beach.

As far as the West Coast, Sarasota through Naples will also be horrible then. You may find better prices along St. Pete Beach. Siesta Key is the prettiest but will be the most expensive.

Good luck!!

thanks for taking the time to help me out. We may just paly it by ear and see what happens. We stopped in Siesta Keys a couple years ago. Loved it.

Will check out that site - thanks. We will just have to pay what they are asking. Better than being up in the cold and snow country.

Take care - Happy Holidays

thanks for taking the time to help me out. We may just paly it by ear and see what happens. We stopped in Siesta Keys a couple years ago. Loved it.

Will check out that site - thanks. We will just have to pay what they are asking. Better than being up in the cold and snow country.

Take care - Happy Holidays

NOOOO!!!! Do not play it by ear this time of year. Make a reservation or you will either be sleeping in your car or paying even higher rates.

I agree that I would make at least some cancellable reservations SOMEWHERE. I doubt you want to spend your time driving from hotel to hotel hunting for vacancies. Or paying thru the teeth because you look desperate.;)

But if you wing it..... If you have web access while traveling you could use a discount site to book something last minute and save a bit IF there are any rooms left.:o