Attempting semi-live from Dec. 20-27 Zuiderdam

shrimp56

Had a nice post written last evening and the satellite went to sleep. So this will be brief.

Embarkation was the usual. Nicely moving lines (many of them), and plenty of people heading you in the right direction. I had printed out and fprgotten our luggage tags and boarding passes. That only slowed us down a few minutes as they checked passports with the manifest. We got group 9 and were in the holding pen only about 15 minutes. We ended up carrying our stuff on, which may be the way we go from now on.

No one was harmed during sailaway. The music featured several of the on board performers, including a great steel drummer. No HALcats we're harmed I promise you Cooper.

If you were watching marine traffic we kind of sat for a while after hitting the high seas. Captain explained that we were testing a repaired bow thruster. We've been pleasantly rolling ever since.

Food at Mariner's Lunch and the MDR was excellent. Service was glacial in the MDR, but that was the first night I think. Great stewards and waiters.

Our VA cabin is very similar to the VQ we had on Eurodam. It feels a little narrower, but that may be memory playing tricks. We are happy, as is our traveling companion.

Summary:

AC: Fine. No complaints overheard.

HVAC: Reporting that 2 deck 7 forward cabins and 2 public restrooms are fine. No complaints overheard.

Service: MDR glacial

Untoward smells: none reported

Wear and tear: one small tear in my Lido Buffet chair.

Ambience: Zuidy is a bit garish for my taste, but it has some beautiful spots. No day of the week rugs. Red elevator interiors are helpful in the morning. Everything is pretty much where it usually is on a 'dam ship.

Tomorrow: Grand Turk. We're planning a visit to the national museum and lunch at Jack's Shack.

Thanks for checking in. Yes, we thought you were turning around at one point, and speculating as to cause. Glad to hear you are merrily chugging away!

With regard to your comment about carrying on your stuff - do you mean baggage?

Have a great cruise.:)

Yep we rolled our own bags on. I didn't have my luggage tags and all they were doing was grabbing bags so we kept going. Nice sea day. Good accupuncturist. Went to cooking demo. Same 'dam lobster salad, creme brulee demo, but the chef and hostess were much better than Eurodam. They passed around lovely small spoonfuls of the creme brulee.

Midships pool is a kiddie zoo, but watching the steel drum class was fun. The drummer was a really good teacher. The deck area on Observation Deck opposite Crow's Nest seems to be the quietest and warmest place to be.

Dinner was delicious, Service better. We asked for the same waiter, Odhe. We're any 'dam time dining which has been working for us. We go at about 5:45pm without reservation and maybe have one party ahead of us. When we exit there is a loooooooong line.

Nothing untoward to report. HVAC and AC are A-OK.

We will be frequenting other bars as the Crow's Nest seems to have the rowdy crew.

Seas are high so we're rolling just the right amount. It's so relaxing I'm off to bed now.... zzzzzzzzzz

Thanks for your kind comments. Sorry there aren't pictures, but they will come later.

We love our cabin. We're forward on Deck 7 literally over where the water breaks at the bow. We've had some roughish weather and we love it. In size the cabin is more like our VQ on Eurodam, but we like the smaller verandah.

Our friend is having a fabulous time. It took her a bit to realize that the ship wasn't going to roll over. She's enjoying the motion now. She adores her stateroom and is enjoying the food.

The food is wonderful. Whoever said that the Zuiderdam kitchen was good wasn't kidding. Everything has been well-prepared with delicious taste. And we adore our waiter Odhe.

We had all sorts of plans for the day-- going to the museum, eating at Jack's Shack etc... After a cool drrink and a tropical sunshower we slipped into shopping a little. Then DH and I bailed--heat does not become us-- and our friend found a lounge chair under the shade to spend her time there.

We were in port with Maasdam. It was a family day at Grand Turk. I loved seeing the other dark-blue hull and evern took a "family portrait" LOL

Tomorrow is San Juan. DH is taking a shorex. Friend and I are wandering Old San Juan and shopping a bit. Girl time:)

Summary:

AC: Fine

HVAC: More restroom toilets have been tested and found functioning.

Bar: Not sure what they put it my last gin and tonic, but it wasn't tonic.

Grand Turk Cruise Center: Worth about the time we gave it.

Hightlight of the day: The stunning blue and green water, enjoyed both on land and from our balcony

Docked at San Juan with ship internet down so this will be brief. Took taxi to Cathedral and worked pur way back to the ship slowly. Details will follow tomorrow.

Two notes.

First untoward smell noted in Palomas Square. Pigeon poop.

Zuiderdam food continues to be exceptional.

The "Attempting" art of my thread title has turned out to be correct. Internet connection has been off and on. I lost another long post .*kicks the satellite"

And MERRY CHRISTMAS from the festive Zuiderdam.

Thank you for your kind comments. To answer questions first. (Before the satellite decides it's siesta time again) We're only on the Christmas portion, alas. And yes we did stop at El Convento for a cool drink on the patio. Beautiful hotel.

Yesterday we and 5 other LARGE ships were at Philipsburg, Sint Maarten. I figured it was 18-20,000 fellow cruisers. Took Art around the Island. It was a wonderful shorex. Great guide named Lisa. After some shopping near the dock we trudged back to Zuidy. That dock is LONG. Pictures later.

We did have a medical evacuation that held us up for 30 minutes. That's always sad to see. I don't know any details.

Christmas at sea is very pleasant. Went to Mariner's Brunch. Got tile. PG this evening. Half Moon Quay tomorrow. About to go walk off lunch on the Promenade deck. Today is the perfect day weatherwise that we've all been craving.

As our CD says Wooooooo Hooooooooo!

Edited by shrimp56

The "Attempting" art of my thread title has turned out to be correct. Internet connection has been off and on. I lost another long post .*kicks the satellite"

And MERRY CHRISTMAS from the festive Zuiderdam.

Thank you for your kind comments. To answer questions first. (Before the satellite decides it's siesta time again) We're only on the Christmas portion, alas. And yes we did stop at El Convento for a cool drink on the patio. Beautiful hotel.

Yesterday we and 5 other LARGE ships were at Philipsburg, Sint Maarten. I figured it was 18-20,000 fellow cruisers. Took Art around the Island. It was a wonderful shorex. Great guide named Lisa. After some shopping near the dock we trudged back to Zuidy. That dock is LONG. Pictures later.

We did have a medical evacuation that held us up for 30 minutes. That's always sad to see. I don't know any details.

Christmas at sea is very pleasant. Went to Mariner's Brunch. Got tile. PG this evening. Half Moon Quay tomorrow. About to go walk off lunch on the Promenade deck. Today is the perfect day weatherwise that we've all been craving.

As our CD says Wooooooo Hooooooooo!

Merry Christmas, Sally!

Thank you for sharing your cruise with us (and not sinking the boat!:cool:)

You will be getting off as we are getting on... We promise to wave!

Take care, and enjoy the last days of your Christmas cruise!:)

Sally, I was so excited when I read your text to me today that you met Ruby Bute -- spent a couple hours with her 2 or 3 years ago & have a couple of her pictures framed. She is such a delightful lady!!! There is a ceramics shop in Oyster Pond that should be on their tour. And I am surprised that Roland Richardson's studio/shop in Marigot was not included. Still what you had was fabulous!!!! Didn't know HAL offered such a great tour....

What did Dave do while you gals did the Art Tour OR did I misunderstand that he wasn't with you???

Merry Christmas!!

Thanks everyone:) DH was on the art tour Kay. Last artist was Antoine Chapon. What a beautiful house and artwork.

I have heard of one AC issue on Deck 4 that lasted 12 hours. Otherwise, other than a slow HVAC that I woke up at 2:30am all remains well, with additional public restrooms having been tested.

PG last eve was excellent, with the exc eption of the decor. Our waiter, Yudy, was a sweetheart. Food was excellent. I had the tomato/lemongrass broth, the lambchops with insanely good pear/mint chutney and the chocolate souffle. The last will land me in purgatory I am sure.

DH and W are off to HMC. I am staying on the ship. Accupuncture and packing on the agenda.

More, I hope later.

This week has gone by MUCH TOO FAST for you 3, I am sure!!! I HATE packing up at end of a cruise -- such a SAD activity!

It would be if I didn't have our "family" cruise to look forward to in February.

Thanks Cooper 10-8. Sorry I missed you in Grand Turk. Maybe another time. Haven't heard hide nor hair of the HALcats. That might be because we frequent other places. Our Adagio Duo is good, but have personality issues that amuse us. Not the right pair for a ship I fear.

I will hold more detailed comments until I can add pictures, but my summary is that Zuidy is in good hands and in good shape.