NZ Customs Confisicate Windjammer Napkins

No - prepackaged items are fine. We always take some protein bars as well.

Hi Folks

That would be ok here in Australia PROVIDED you declared them to quarantine if you did not it would be a fine in the region of $220-00

Best Regards

John

Hi Folks

That would be ok here in Australia PROVIDED you declared them to quarantine if you did not it would be a fine in the region of $220-00

Best Regards

John

....what no jail time?......how disappointing.......some could use the time to contemplate their crime and stubborn ways........

I used to work in museums and this reminds me so much of what we used to hear all the time when people would touch various artifacts - "one person isn't going to ruin it!"

No ... but every person thinking they are just one person over an extended period of time sure does. I worked in restoration and it used to make me so sad how carelessness could damage things we were trying to save for future generations.

I do have some actual experience with the New Zealand customs folks having come from the USA to Auckland twice. The first time was 2003 for the America's cup. There was no real discussion of it on the flight or at customs. Then there was the trip on NY Eve before 2011. On the Virgin flight to Sydney we were told that it was the typical fruit, seeds, etc. Then on the flight from Sydney to Auckland we were told that everything, from candy bars to power bars even if still in the package unopened had to be thrown away. So, my wife did. When we went thru the agriculture customs time, I asked the agent in Auckland, and he said that was stupid, that they didn't care about pre packaged cooked items such as power bars or candy bars.

Again, I am happy to comply with any rational regulation, and I do comply with all regulations that I am aware of regarding import export of any rules (aka laws). That said, I think that 99% of it is just bunk. Especially when people are taking food that has a probability of causing a problem approaching zero because it is not just randomly from anywhere on the planet.

That said, New Zealand is one of the most wonderful places I have ever visited, and I have no problem with their over zealous laws and restrictions. Just think that it is a bit of over kill.

jc

Maybe..but a fly from some island lands on the ship, then hops on someone's banana, then that banana gets carried ashore and suddenly you alter the ecostructure.

Just sayin'

I am with you on overreach, but to understand tough agricultural rules.

How is that different from a fly from some island that lands on the ship, chair hogs a lounger for a day or two, and then goes ashore on its own after the ship docks?

How is that different from a fly from some island that lands on the ship, chair hogs a lounger for a day or two, and then goes ashore on its own after the ship docks?

It's different in that it's preventable and controllable.

Just because you can't mitigate every risk doesn't meant you don't try to mitigate those you can.

I always take a couple of energy bars ashore or packaged cookies/crackers. Are they banned too?
No - prepackaged items are fine. We always take some protein bars as well.
Prepackaged items are fine most of the time, but not always. Nuts may still germinate. NZ is the only country in the world that has escaped certain bee diseases, and these diseases are carried in honey (admittedly honey is rarely used as a sweetener in candy as it is too expensive). Chocolate bars were forbidden in carry-off in Valparaiso, but were allowed in bags being delivered directly to Santiago:confused: While I didn't understand that last one, I am aware that Chile has quite significant agricultural exports, and these exports are dependent on remaining free of fruit flies, Phylloxera, Mad Cow disease, etc. Chile is the only country where I have encountered three successive agricultural inspections (some years ago coming in from Bolivia by train we stopped at the border and ALL the luggage was removed from the top of the train and inspected, a second inspection upon arrival at the train station in Arica, and a third road-side inspection about 50km south of Arica - Chile is serious about protecting its agriculture). When in doubt DECLARE; the authorities will then either allow the goods in or not.

Thom

My sister travels to London, England a lot. She takes a package of cookies with her. When she gets off the plane, she checks out the declare line vs. nothing to declare line. If the declare line is empty, then she goes over with her cookies and asks if it is o.k. to bring them in. They tell her it is fine. Then she says as long as she is there, can she just clear there. They always tell her she can and she is on her way.

She says she has probably had those cookies a dozen years (lol).

Tucker in Texas

Hi Folks

Best Regards

John

Well good luck to them trying to fine me for my granola bar. We have sailed to many many ports and packaged items were never declared. Oh and nut in packaged foods don't germinate.

Well good luck to them trying to fine me for my granola bar. We have sailed to many many ports and packaged items were never declared. Oh and nut in packaged foods don't germinate.

get yourself a little bag of sunflower seed or punkin seeds like in a vending machine and plant them and get back to me.

folks it's their country their rules. why do folks feel the need to take ship food off the ship. try the local foods.

I just came back from a cruise to NZ. I have a young child and it's almost impossible to go on land excursions without taking food for children because some excursions do not have any food stops. For example, an excursion we were on in Wellington started at 10.30am and did not finish until 3pm with no lunch stops.

I brought with us packaged long life milk, cookies, muesli bars etc (all packed and sealed), showed it to NZ customs and they said it was absolutely fine to take off the ship. She even made a comment that children need their food and you need to take these things for them.

Hmmm...a tourist is in Australia and the government of Australia attempts to fine him. Who do we think is going to win? I'll bet on the government getting money or jail time before we see the tourist walk.

Depending on the amount of processing it is entirely possible to have packaged nuts germinate. There are truly raw (not pasteurized, etc) nuts sold in factory packages that most certainly germinate. Even processed nuts might retain the ability to germinate, which is why Park Rangers in the Galapagos are not allowed to eat nuts in any form for three days prior to staying overnight on any of the uninhabited islands within the archipelago.

Thom

I just came back from a cruise to NZ. I have a young child and it's almost impossible to go on land excursions without taking food for children because some excursions do not have any food stops. For example, an excursion we were on in Wellington started at 10.30am and did not finish until 3pm with no lunch stops.

I brought with us packaged long life milk, cookies, muesli bars etc (all packed and sealed), showed it to NZ customs and they said it was absolutely fine to take off the ship. She even made a comment that children need their food and you need to take these things for them.

I was able to bring a packaged protein bar as well. They would look at it to read all the ingredients or not, some ports were fussier.

They are very strict and i sure wouldn't try to take anything that wasn't approved on to shore.

Edited by CVU

The only thing I usually take ashore is a small water flask, with only fresh water to drink - hate buying bottles of water - never had a problem so far, and have taken it on many cruises.

One day, was not thinking, and grabbed an apple as I was leaving the breadfast buffet. We were getting off the ship in SAmerica, and was asked to toss it before I left the cruise building - no problem, was finished anyway! oops,

I have no problem not bringing food ashore - there are people that need to eat at certain times for health reasons, and as said, some outrips do not stop for a meal, and sometimes you arefar from shops/restraunts etc.

Then, I could see having prepackaged foods with you. But a little research prior to cruising, you could easily bring a few things with you on the cruiseto tide you over. Little kids can make do with cherrios,or boxed cereal, there have been many CR threads with accepted food items.

The "just me" gets me! We all know the type!

Good to see NZ giving tourists a gentle reminder of the law!

Basically its "Our Country Our Rules"

We make the laws tourists don't get to question them. If they want to enter our countries they abide by our laws, not sure of any country on the planet where that's not the case. Whilst we don't need to give a reason for our laws, its for the survival of our agriculture industries. Doesn't matter whether you find it heavy handed or not...its the law.

Yes they will allow most prepackaged biscuits and sweets but only if you declare them. If you don't they are within their rights to be as heavy handed as they want. They can fine you whether its prepackaged or otherwise because the law in Australia and NZ is declare ALL food.

Take the attitude that you know better than the customs officer and see how you get on...they have made a whole lot of reality TV shows on that very subject. Us Aussies and Kiwis love to sit back and laugh at the tourists being caught because they are arrogant enough to think they are better than the law.

We are lovely easy going friendly people...as long as you play the game by our rules:D:D:D

Edited by 3littlepigs
Spelling

You against the power of the government of New Zealand. Pretty funny post.

Good to see NZ giving tourists a gentle reminder of the law!

Basically its "Our Country Our Rules"

We make the laws tourists don't get to question them. If they want to enter our countries they abide by our laws, not sure of any country on the planet where that's not the case. Whilst we don't need to give a reason for our laws, its for the survival of our agriculture industries. Doesn't matter whether you find it heavy handed or not...its the law.

Yes they will allow most prepackaged biscuits and sweets but only if you declare them. If you don't they are within their rights to be as heavy handed as they want. They can fine you whether its prepackaged or otherwise because the law in Australia and NZ is declare ALL food.

Take the attitude that you know better than the customs officer and see how you get on...they have made a whole lot of reality TV shows on that very subject. Us Aussies and Kiwis love to sit back and laugh at the tourists being caught because they are arrogant enough to think they are better than the law.

We are lovely easy going friendly people...as long as you play the game by our rules:D:D:D

I can think of one country.

The only thing I usually take ashore is a small water flask, with only fresh water to drink - hate buying bottles of water - never had a problem so far, and have taken it on many cruises.

Commercial Bottled Water is the only bottled water allowed into New Zealand.

Not everyone is stupid, a moron, feels rule don't apply to them etc etc.... Some people don't think twice because they do all the time because they are diabetic, hypoglycemic or have to eat every hour for medical reasons. SO before you start name calling give someone the benefit of the doubt.

I realize the rules as a frequent traveler and grab a box of Cheerios from the buffet for shore. Others might not think about what's been processed and packaged . I'm always disappointed to see how quickly people on these boards call others horrible names and berate them.

Hi Folks

Best Regards

John

I can attest to this. saw it first hand when I arrived in Perth.

I had brought along some curry mix( japanese, pre packaged) and declared it., the only thing that saved me was it also had English language ingredient list and cooking directions. the agent read every single word very carefully the guy just ahead of me.. had some granola bars, failed to disclose them and when his bag was searched and they were found he got a stern talking to and lost the granola bars. not sure of he got fined or not

Not everyone is stupid, a moron, feels rule don't apply to them etc etc.... Some people don't think twice because they do all the time because they are diabetic, hypoglycemic or have to eat every hour for medical reasons. SO before you start name calling give someone the benefit of the doubt.

I realize the rules as a frequent traveler and grab a box of Cheerios from the buffet for shore. Others might not think about what's been processed and packaged . I'm always disappointed to see how quickly people on these boards call others horrible names and berate them.

I would think that people with medical conditions would be even more aware of issues when traveling. If they are not then maybe some of those adjectives you listed do apply to them.

Edited by Ocean Boy