Departure Time vs All Aboard Time

dleighb

Typically 30 mins although that can vary based on port procedures.

I ALWAYS allow 1 hour minimum to be back at the ship, regardless of all aboard.

The itinerary on Princess lists the departure time. When should I assume is the all aboard time when making plans? An hour before?

I like to allow 1 hour too, or I am a nervous wreck. I usually like to allow 30 minutes prior to the all aboard time or even an hour depending on how far I am going from the ship. So, that is why I was trying to get an estimate for how Princess handles their all aboard time as this will be our first Princess cruise.

Thanks!

I agree with Loonbeam. I give an hour which allows 30 minutes of margin for last-minute "opportunities" such as vendors who set up at the port.

Tender ports are a little different. I try to give even more margin before "Last Tender" as the crowds waiting for the last one are large and it will always be packed to the gills. Many times they have to run more than one "Last Tender".

Edited by beg3yrs

I always plan an additional 30 minutes to get back to the port and ship earlier than the last embarkation time. Remember, that's the latest you should be there to re-board the ship. It's not a "suggestion" as it takes the ship a while to prepare for sailing. You are someplace you're not familiar with and often, traffic, breakdowns, etc. over which you have no control can and do happen. Plan ahead and be conservative with your time.

Bob, I am going to remember that!

I've been "late" to the ship a couple times, but always on a ship booked excursion, so I didn't worry (okay, I did because I worry a lot about everything). I like to book independently when possible, but sometimes, when a particular excursion is long or there is a very limited time in a port, or when you don't have a choice like in the middle of the Panama Canal, I always go ahead and pay the higher rates and go with the large groups with the cruise excursions. I chalk the extra cost up as a "safety on not missing the boat" cost.

Sometimes I wonder if the fear of not making it back to the ship on time is worth the benefits of private excursions!

Bob, I am going to remember that!

I've been "late" to the ship a couple times, but always on a ship booked excursion, so I didn't worry (okay, I did because I worry a lot about everything). I like to book independently when possible, but sometimes, when a particular excursion is long or there is a very limited time in a port, or when you don't have a choice like in the middle of the Panama Canal, I always go ahead and pay the higher rates and go with the large groups with the cruise excursions. I chalk the extra cost up as a "safety on not missing the boat" cost.

Sometimes I wonder if the fear of not making it back to the ship on time is worth the benefits of private excursions!

Well...when in doubt think of this video:

At the end of the gangway at each port there is a sign that shows the departure time and the time you should be aboard. Just look at it as you leave and you will know for sure what time to be back on board.

Even better: make sure you take that day's Patter. It'll have the time to be back on board and you won't have to rely on your memory.

I once read (probably here on CC) to use your cellphone to photograph the name, address and phone number of the port agent - found in your ship newsletter each port day - so if there are problems, you at least know where to find help. You could take another shot of the last-boarding or last-tender message/sign.

I once read (probably here on CC) to use your cellphone to photograph the name, address and phone number of the port agent ... You could take another shot of the last-boarding or last-tender message/sign.

And ... make sure that you are aware of any difference in ship time and port time...