Advantages of buying drink package on line before boarding

WWbytheSEA

From what I understand, you don't "have" to carry the cup around--only if you want to use the new machines. if you want a pop you can still go to the bar etc and get one.

I think they are making you use the cup as a way of monitoring perhaps. then you can't swipe your card twice and get two cups at a time. could be wrong, but that is the only reason I can see that they aren't using the card.

From what I understand, you don't "have" to carry the cup around--only if you want to use the new machines. if you want a pop you can still go to the bar etc and get one.

I think they are making you use the cup as a way of monitoring perhaps. then you can't swipe your card twice and get two cups at a time. could be wrong, but that is the only reason I can see that they aren't using the card.

The use of the cups is time limited. I believe you have to wait something like 15 minutes before you can use it again.

Nothing about soda would ever upset me :)

They should make a new style machine that just allows you to swipe your seapass card. Then the machine dispenses a cup that they can recycle later. That could be a way to eliminate carrying around the cup all day.

Great idea! I loved the souvenir cup and the machines, but found I only used it 3 or 4 times on a 7 day cruise, because I was rarely willing to carry the cup around. Also, they could use more soda machines....they should be on every floor.

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using Forums mobile app

For those of you planning to buy the soda package on ships with a Freestyle Machine I strongly recommend buying it ON BOARD and not ahead of time.

We booked ahead of time on Allure, and then couldn't get Freestyles until they opened up the cabins for us to get our cups that were waiting for us.

On Enchantment last week we bought it as soon as we boarded and had a Freestyle in hand about three minutes after setting foot on the ship!

I guess if you really need a soda from the machine as soon as you board..this makes sense. However, given people usually start boarding at 11:30 and the rooms are usually open at 1 PM. An hour and a half or maybe 2 hours without a soda? This is not crisis material. Anyway, it will still take time waiting in line to buy it when you first board. We also used the drink package on the Allure in December and bought it on line 2 weeks before sailing. Had it bought and paid for by the boarding day and went to the pier without another thought as to the cost or anything. When we checked in the sea pass card was loaded and ready to go. We are usually hungry and have lunch, then made specialty restaurant reservations and before long the rooms are ready.

We only used the soda cup on the last day of the cruise, but had an adult drink immediately upon boarding...So I guess I understand why one would want a soda upon boarding if that's what they like.

Edited by JohnSnowGOT

Hi, sorry for my ignorance but I will be a first time cruiser FOS sailing 6 July 2014, I was planning on purchasing the drinks package for myself and mrs L with the soda package for the 2 kids.. When we board will they be able to get soda drinks from bar or cafés without their cups?

Hi, sorry for my ignorance but I will be a first time cruiser FOS sailing 6 July 2014, I was planning on purchasing the drinks package for myself and mrs L with the soda package for the 2 kids.. When we board will they be able to get soda drinks from bar or cafés without their cups?

Sure you can order at the bar.

The bar selections are not as impressive as the machines.

I already purchased wine and dine package with 5 bottles of wine. As alcohol policy changed I would like to cancel this order and I am planning on purchasing the drinks premium or ultimate package.

After cancelling will already paid amount count toward my new order? Other words have I pay additionally only difference in package prices? Thank you.

I already purchased wine and dine package with 5 bottles of wine. As alcohol policy changed I would like to cancel this order and I am planning on purchasing the drinks premium or ultimate package.

After cancelling will already paid amount count toward my new order? Other words have I pay additionally only difference in package prices? Thank you.

On the website it says you cannot make exchanges. You have to cancel one order and then purchase what you want. I imagine if both requests are processed quickly then the one credited to your credit card and the one charged will end up with you just having to pay the difference but RCI will not offset the charges and just charge you the difference.

I bought the (old) premium package online before my cruise on Adventure last September. Then decided that as it was fairly port intensive, to cancel. So I did and got the refund. When I boarded the ship they were doing a buy 12 pay 9 promotion. So I bought it on board and saved 25%. I'd have been royally hacked off if I'd paid full price beforehand. Worth every penny BTW.

so.. with the drink package.. what is to stop people from buying one soda card....the spouse with the package uses the sticker at the bar, and the other uses the "magic cup"?

In the past we have only gotten one soda package, and because the wife and I are normally together... when one of us wants a drink.... the person with the sticker would get it. This is an interesting work-around with the magic cups....

anyone ever done this before ?

so.. with the drink package.. what is to stop people from buying one soda card....the spouse with the package uses the sticker at the bar, and the other uses the "magic cup"?

In the past we have only gotten one soda package, and because the wife and I are normally together... when one of us wants a drink.... the person with the sticker would get it. This is an interesting work-around with the magic cups....

No. But I'm sure RCI will be interested in reading the answers.:rolleyes:

That is a good idea. It is almost like both of you having the package...

Edited by matj2000

What about taxes? Do you pay taxes if you buy onboard? Online?

No difference in taxes between online and onboard for US based cruises. There are some cruises out of Spain that might incur a VAT tax for onboard purchases.

There is nothing other than your ethics to stop you. The rules about sharing a soda package are clear, and doing this is no different than filling a free water cup with soda at McDonald's.

My concience is clear.

I generally drink only water. So on the odd time I want a coke... I will get her to get me one. At $60-70 for the week.. I don't think they are hurting... especially when the cost is pennies a glass. I actually think it should be them who question their ethics of charging so much for the soda card.....

Is there any advantage of buying the alcohol drink package online versus when I get on ship. Paying for it now on a credit card versus the charge showing up at the end of the cruise is not really a factor. If I pay for it online, will my cruise card not have a sticker on it. That's really my question, as I don't really want to have to wait in a guest service line if the sticker falls off and I need a new one. I think I remember reading here that if you buy the soda package in advance, it is already embossed or something like that on your card with no stickers to deal with.

OP - I hope you're still hanging around, to the best of my knowledge your question was never correctly answered.

I bought the Premium drink package ahead of time, just got back from that sailing last Saturday and we DID have stickers. To be clear, they did not have our SeaPass cards preprinted as they do with the soda packages. You will have a sticker whether you buy on-line or not.

So the big advantage to buying on-line is being able to drink the minute you embark!

My concience is clear.

I generally drink only water. So on the odd time I want a coke... I will get her to get me one. At $60-70 for the week.. I don't think they are hurting... especially when the cost is pennies a glass. I actually think it should be them who question their ethics of charging so much for the soda card.....

RCI will lower the price... when people stop buying it.

OP - I hope you're still hanging around, to the best of my knowledge your question was never correctly answered.

I bought the Premium drink package ahead of time, just got back from that sailing last Saturday and we DID have stickers. To be clear, they did not have our SeaPass cards preprinted as they do with the soda packages. You will have a sticker whether you buy on-line or not.

So the big advantage to buying on-line is being able to drink the minute you embark!

Agree and I also had a sticker when I purchased the Premium Beverage Package BEFORE the cruise. BTW - I loved the beverage package. My whole group purchased the beverage package and we all had a planned meetup at the R Bar right after boarding (we got to watch everyone else standing in lines).

ULCajunCruiser-- thanks so much for the response I was seeking.. On a side note.. Did they have any football on TV's anywhere on the ship. Trying to see if they will have the Sunday Night Football game on????

ULCajunCruiser-- thanks so much for the response I was seeking.. On a side note.. Did they have any football on TV's anywhere on the ship. Trying to see if they will have the Sunday Night Football game on????

:( Bad news. We were on the Serenade and the only football we were able to watch was the Monday night game on ESPN!!!

I'm not sure what the other ships offer??? Maybe its dependant on the itenerary or what sateliite they have???