Passport AND back up ID

WWbytheSEA

So we all (wife, son 17, son 14) all have passports and will be flying and cruising with them. I guess to be on the safe side, we should all bring our photo drivers license as well. I don't really want to bring my 14year olds Birth Certificate but since does not have a DL, I guess I should. He does have a school ID with his photo on it. Its just that I'm not one of those worst case scenario folks. Because I guess if you had your original ID lost or stolen, you could always have your back up lost or stolen and then you would have to take 3 ID's with you...

Hey as I'm typing... How bout a photocopy of all of our passports as a backup that I would keep separate from the originals. Would that suffice as back-up??

Edited by WWbytheSEA

So we all (wife, son 17, son 14) all have passports and will be flying and cruising with them. I guess to be on the safe side, we should all bring our photo drivers license as well. I don't really want to bring my 14year olds Birth Certificate but since does not have a DL, I guess I should. He does have a school ID with his photo on it. Its just that I'm not one of those worst case scenario folks. Because I guess if you lost had your original ID lost or stolen, you could always have your back up lost or stolen and then you would have to take 3 ID's..

Hey as I'm typing... How bout a photocopy of all of our passports as a backup that I would keep separate from the originals. Would that suffice as back-up??

A photocopy of your passports kept separately is always a good idea, and also leave copies with someone back home that you can reach if necessary.

Have fun!

I would bring the photos id's for all of you.

The passports are great and you should leave them on the ship. I know some people don't but I highly recommend that.

Sure, bring the birth certificate as well and again keep that locked in the safe.

Have a great time.

Keith

So we all (wife, son 17, son 14) all have passports and will be flying and cruising with them. I guess to be on the safe side, we should all bring our photo drivers license as well. I don't really want to bring my 14year olds Birth Certificate but since does not have a DL, I guess I should. He does have a school ID with his photo on it. Its just that I'm not one of those worst case scenario folks. Because I guess if you had your original ID lost or stolen, you could always have your back up lost or stolen and then you would have to take 3 ID's with you...

A passport trumps all other identification. You will not need anything else to travel at all. I would forget out the Birth certificate since the passport takes care of that.

As to backups, I would make photocopies of the passport and carry them in a different place than the passports themselves.

A passport trumps all other identification. You will not need anything else to travel at all. I would forget out the Birth certificate since the passport takes care of that.

As to backups, I would make photocopies of the passport and carry them in a different place than the passports themselves.

I leave our passports in the cabin safe - if we get caught on shore and and anyplace we'd need them, we would call the ship anyway - they can bring the passports. I'd suggest you carry your driver's licenses and ship cards on shore as ID, and for a child a school ID would be fine.

The only time I don't bring only the ship card is when I'm not going beyond the cruise ship dock area.

DH and I actually ordered the credit card sized passport cards for $40. They are as good as a passport traveling on closed loop cruises in the Caribbean but even when we still need the book, the cards make great basic ID. But most people don't like spending the money on them.

Another place to store your stuff is in the "cloud". I've scanned our passport, DLs, copies of our travel insurance and emailed them to myself and uploaded into our cloud storage.

I've done the same. Scan of my passport is on my laptop plus it's in Dropbox and Evernote. Lots of ways to get at it if I lose the original or the paper photocopy.

Both of our DDs have had California issued ID cards since they were in elementary school.

For exploring we made business card sized laminated copies of our passports' picture page. This was accepted as ID when getting a SIM card in Rome.

Remember--a copy will not get you home but will expedite the processing if you need to get a new passport when traveling.

Edited by SadieN

I would bring the photos id's for all of you.

The passports are great and you should leave them on the ship. I know some people don't but I highly recommend that.

Sure, bring the birth certificate as well and again keep that locked in the safe.

Have a great time.

Keith

DITTO.. BETTER SAFE THEN SORRY. Happy cruising

When I cruise, I bring my passport, drivers license, and global entry card.

DH and I actually ordered the credit card sized passport cards for $40. They are as good as a passport traveling on closed loop cruises in the Caribbean but even when we still need the book, the cards make great basic ID. But most people don't like spending the money on them.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Aren't those nice! We recently had to renew our passports so also ordered the passport cards. Now, in ports of call, we can take them instead of the photo copies of our passports. :)

LuLu

~~~~

Edited by OCruisers

In ports to return to the ship ... 16 and over who may be required to show a photo ID.

Any younger are fine when with a parent but will need their cruise card.:)

LuLu

~~~~

I was just going to say this. Children under 16 do NOT need to show photo ID, as long as they are with their parents. We keep our passports locked in the safe, and carry our driver's licenses ashore.

I'd bring the ID's as most cruise lines will tell you to bring a photo ID and your key card (sea pass, sign & sail etc...) when you go into port. You're 14yo can bring his school ID and use that in place of a gov't issued ID~

Just to pass this alone: the school ID is not considered "government issue." It may work as an ID in general, but doesn't take the place of a passport if that's needed (if you have a cruise or a flying home situation that requires that level of ID).

Earlier this month I went through TEAM training (alcohol management) so I can work at concession booths for the upcoming Rose Bowl and BCS Championship games (to help raise money for a school program) and we were told that school IDs will not be acceptable for anyone wanting to buy beer as they're not considered government IDs. So sorry, any kids from Auburn, Michigan State, Florida State and Stanford: you'll need a DL or passport to buy suds.

Just to pass this alone: the school ID is not considered "government issue." It may work as an ID in general' date=' but doesn't take the place of a passport if that's needed (if you have a cruise or a flying home situation that requires that level of ID).

Earlier this month I went through TEAM training (alcohol management) so I can work at concession booths for the upcoming Rose Bowl and BCS Championship games (to help raise money for a school program) and we were told that school IDs will not be acceptable for anyone wanting to buy beer as they're not considered government IDs. So sorry, any kids from Auburn, Michigan State, Florida State and Stanford: you'll need a DL or passport to buy suds.[/quote']

I was just saying that if they wanted an ID for their 14 yo they could use the school ID as a 14 yo does not need a gov't issued ID to get off the ship in ports, just their ship card. I said nothing about the school ID being used in place of a passport.

I was just saying that if they wanted an ID for their 14 yo they could use the school ID as a 14 yo does not need a gov't issued ID to get off the ship in ports, just their ship card. I said nothing about the school ID being used in place of a passport.

I wanted to clarify just in case someone was thinking a school ID would be an acceptable replacement for a passport or even for proof of age.