Another Loophole Flaw To Advance in Captain Club

miched

They made new tiers to reward loyalty and because it was supposedly too easy to get to the Elite status. On the old system you got a point for a cruise, an extra for cc and above plus another for a Crusie of 12 days or longer.

The loop hole was someone taking a 14 day cruise in cc got 3 points, but if you took four 4 day cruises in cc you got 8. You got 5 extra points for basically the same amount of sea days.

Now the new system is based on sea days and category. The loophole is that if you book a cruise on board thru the current promotion you get 25 bonus points per cruise. I think those points are for OV and above and any length cruise.

We are now back at the previous way of not really rewarding cruise days or category. Booking a cc for 14 days gives a person 70 + 25 for 95 points. Book three 5 day cruises and you would get 75 for the sea days and 75 in bonus for 150 points.

Book veranda and you would get 42 for the 14 plus 25 for 67 points but book three 5 day cruises and you would have 45 plus 75 in bonus for 120.

Now is the time to book some short cruises to beat the system and move up fast. You also make out better on the SBC On a 14 day cruise you get $350 for 14 nights in CC. Take three 5 day cruises and you get $200 ea for a total of $600.

Plus by taking the shorter cruises you get a new set of coupons for each cruise, another bag, and etc.

The only drawback to a short cruise is that you have to attend another muster drill and go thru customs more but if you want to play the game there are advantages.

Just putting out some things to think about.

Merry Christmas

🎅🎄

They made new tiers to reward loyalty and because it was supposedly too easy to get to the Elite status. On the old system you got a point for a cruise, an extra for cc and above plus another for a Crusie of 12 days or longer.

The loop hole was someone taking a 14 day cruise in cc got 3 points, but if you took four 4 day cruises in cc you got 8. You got 5 extra points for basically the same amount of sea days.

Now the new system is based on sea days and category. The loophole is that if you book a cruise on board thru the current promotion you get 25 bonus points per cruise. I think those points are for OV and above and any length cruise.

We are now back at the previous way of not really rewarding cruise days or category. Booking a cc for 14 days gives a person 70 + 25 for 95 points. Book three 5 day cruises and you would get 75 for the sea days and 75 in bonus for 150 points.

Book veranda and you would get 42 for the 14 plus 25 for 67 points but book three 5 day cruises and you would have 45 plus 75 in bonus for 120.

Now is the time to book some short cruises to beat the system and move up fast. You also make out better on the SBC On a 14 day cruise you get $350 for 14 nights in CC. Take three 5 day cruises and you get $200 ea for a total of $600.

Plus by taking the shorter cruises you get a new set of coupons for each cruise, another bag, and etc.

The only drawback to a short cruise is that you have to attend another muster drill and go thru customs more but if you want to play the game there are advantages.

Merry Christmas

Hi Miched,

A couple of points to mention :

1. The 25 point offer, is for Aqua Class cabins and above (not Oceanview and above), so many folks wont take advantage of it.

2. That I'm aware of, the 25 point offer is for a limited time. It's for new bookings, and I believe the promo runs until the end of the year.

With that said, I suspect there will be MANY bonus point offers going forward. After all, one of the reasons to go to a point system, is to entice cruisers to spend $$$ to earn more points - which is something that was tougher to enact, with the old system. Now, the possibilites are endless.

Edited by Host Andy

While taking 3 five day cruises might provide a way of "beating the system," are people really that desperate? And unless they are b2b2b, or live close to the port, the cost of flying back and forth might be more than the value of the perks acquired a bit earlier.

We cruise for the enjoyment and for a minimum of 14 days. Thanks, but we'll take a pass on your loophole. :)

I think just about system/program can be worked (if one wants to take the time and effort to find it) if getting to that next tier is that important to them.

BTW, the longer the cruise the better for me, so the loophole wouldn't help me at all, but thanks for pointing it out.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Andy

Prior to making the post I called X to verify and confirm that I would get those bonus points because there in nothing on my reservation confirming or promising it. I made the reservation during the Nov 30 cruise. Knowing how things get said but when push comes to shove they ask for proof. I was told that the promo code printed on the reservation is proof. I asked the rep if it is for any length and cat and was told that is was for certain cruises, any length, and OV or above, but as we all know that the info that we are told is not always right.

Either way I was just putting out some info for people to think about if they are chasing after the next level.

I am content with what I get and eventually will be in the Elite Plus but don't see much benefit in chasing after it. At my present rate of two 14 day cruises in cc or aq per year it will take another 18 years to Zenith, by that time many things may change.

.🎅🎄

We don't live near any ports so we would have air fare to consider. We also like 14 day cruises. Have never done a 5 day but I suspect the ambiance on a 5 day is different than on a 14 day. Just my opinion. We will not book a b2b2b just to get points. Besides, we'll be elite + after our Alaska cruise without any other promo points.

Mary Lou

Andy

Prior to making the post I called X to verify and confirm that I would get those bonus points because there in nothing on my reservation confirming or promising it. I made the reservation during the Nov 30 cruise. Knowing how things get said but when push comes to shove they ask for proof. I was told that the promo code printed on the reservation is proof. I asked the rep if it is for any length and cat and was told that is was for certain cruises, any length, and OV or above, but as we all know that the info that we are told is not always right.

Either way I was just putting out some info for people to think about if they are chasing after the next level.

I am content with what I get and eventually will be in the Elite Plus but don't see much benefit in chasing after it. At my present rate of two 14 day cruises in cc or aq per year it will take another 18 years to Zenith, by that time many things may change.

Hi Miched,

I'm certainly not doubting what you were told. As a matter of fact, I made a number of Concierge bookings on Eclipse a few weeks ago, and was told that we would be eligible for the 25 bonus points.

When I arrived home, I called Captains Club about it, and then learned of the AQ and above rule, which is absolutely NOT what I was told. I suppose I could have pushed it, but I was told there were "no execptions", even though I was apparantly misinformed onboard.

At any rate, I do believe the rule is for AQ and above, unless something has recently changed. If I hear anything further, I will post again. BTW, did you get the 25 point credit yet ? Thanks !

Edited by Host Andy

This is from the Captains Club website. O/B they also had the printout that said the same thing.

Special 123Go! offer for Captain's Club members Enjoy 25 Bonus Club Points and 50% Reduced Deposits. First, receive 25 bonus Club Points** in addition to the usual Club Points you earn when you book November 29—December 31, 2013, in an AquaClass® or above stateroom. Second, enjoy 50% reduced deposits* when you book. It's our way of saying "thank you" for sailing with us again. **Captain's Club offer is valid for Classic tier members and above. - See more at: http://www.celebritycruises.com/genericHtmlTemplate.do?icid=ccc_bt_123g_1311_s1go_lk_987051&pagename=choose_your_offer_captains_club#sthash.2GBnmKaV.dpuf

We don't live near any ports so we would have air fare to consider. We also like 14 day cruises. Have never done a 5 day but I suspect the ambiance on a 5 day is different than on a 14 day. Just my opinion. We will not book a b2b2b just to get points. Besides, we'll be elite + after our Alaska cruise without any other promo points.

Mary Lou

Totally agree, we have to fly to any port, so to fly for only a 5 day cruises certainly doesn't make any sense. Besides, who wants to go through that many boardings, muster drills and disembarks....just give me a nice, relaxing 14 days after a long flight.

Hi Miched,

I'm certainly not doubting what you were told. As a matter of fact, I made a number of Concierge bookings on Eclipse a few weeks ago, and was told that we would be eligible for the 25 bonus points.

When I arrived home, I called Captains Club about it, and then learned of the AQ and above rule, which is absolutely NOT what I was told. I suppose I could have pushed it, but I was told there were "no execptions", even though I was apparantly misinformed onboard.

At any rate, I do believe the rule is for AQ and above, unless something has recently changed. If I hear anything further, I will post again. BTW, did you get the 25 point credit yet ? Thanks !

We booked a AQ2 for the Mar 15 2015 Eclipse. Got upgraded to AQ1 that is something that is also new as the previous promos were only a upgrade for regular balconies. Now they will bump from AQ2 to AQ1 and CC3 to CC2 but not CC2 to CC1. Don't know about a bump in the suites.

Since the cruise isn't until 2015 I wont know until then if I got the bonus points. Either way I am enjoying the Elite perks and as since I have been sailing in AQ with the drink package I am not really using the main perks. As long as they keep offering the drink package and don't take away anything that is now in the Elite level the Elite plus doesn't really warrant spending tons of money chasing after.

It is also too early for them to post what I earned from the cruise that ended on Dec 14.

.🎅🎄

miched, you just posted to our Roll Call. Are we cruising together in March?

I figured long ago that doing long cruises lessened the speed of accumulating points; 51 days = 6 old points.

The new system will even it out a bit but as we sail OV we will never get bonus points, oh well, that is not what I cruise for.

Cheers, h.

Edited by middlehaitch
needed a ;

Since the cruise isn't until 2015 I wont know until then if I got the bonus points.

I just booked the Century in April 2015 today, and my ta e-mailed to tell me the promo is for cruises started by March 31 2015 so the April one won't get the 123 or bonus promo points that are currently on offer.

We booked a AQ2 for the Mar 15 2015 Eclipse. Got upgraded to AQ1 that is something that is also new as the previous promos were only a upgrade for regular balconies. Now they will bump from AQ2 to AQ1 and CC3 to CC2 but not CC2 to CC1. Don't know about a bump in the suites.

.🎅🎄

That's interesting. We just did an onboard booking and got a C1 for the price of a C2.

Merry Christmas

So what? Why is this a problem? By booking on board we have always gotten some extra benefits. When we booked a future cruise certificate last year we were given a lowered deposit of only $100 and $300 in OBC. I think the new program is much more fair to everyone. It considers the cost of the cruise - cabin category and amount of days - not the number of cruises you take. This has evened out the playing field for everyone.

Of course, there just HAS to be some people who aren't happy, no matter what the cruise lines do. Nothing is ever good enough. :rolleyes:

Edited by boogs

miched, you just posted to our Roll Call. Are we cruising together in March?

I figured long ago that doing long cruises lessened the speed of accumulating points; 51 days = 6 old points.

The new system will even it out a bit but as we sail OV we will never get bonus points, oh well, that is not what I cruise for.

Cheers, h.

I am booked on the Mar 22, Nov 23 and now Mar 15, 2015. Under the old system I would have got 9 cruise credits converted to 9 x 30 for 270. Under the new system I am getting 3 x 14 x 5 for 210 + 25 bonus for booking the last cruise on board for 235. Either way I will still need another 14 day cruise to make it past the 750. By that time I may be tired of cruising and it will be 2016. 14 days 2 times a year gets a little boring, especially on the same ship. Need to look for another itinerary. Don't know how people can do b2b on a 14 day cruise or 30 to 62 day cruises. I was ready to get home even though I was welcomed with 8" of snow in the driveway. We drive for Mi because we don't like the hassle of flying. So when we do drive to Flmwe try to take advantage of being there. Could take a few B2B cruises on shorter cruises but don't like the hassle of changing ships or repeating the same ports and seeing the same shows.

Edited by miched

So what? Why is this a problem? By booking on board we have always gotten some extra benefits. When we booked a future cruise certificate last year we were given a lowered deposit of only $100 and $300 in OBC. I think the new program is much more fair to everyone. It considers the cost of the cruise - cabin category and amount of days - not the number of cruises you take. This has evened out the playing field for everyone.

Of course, there just HAS to be some people who aren't happy, no matter what the cruise lines do. Nothing is ever good enough. :rolleyes:

What is your problem?

I am not complaining about anything. Just pointing out how people can take advantage of a "loophole" if they wish to.

.🎅🎄

What is your problem?

I am not complaining about anything. Just pointing out how people can take advantage of a "loophole" if they wish to.

When I read your post I took it that you were complaining about how the new program is not working properly. To quote you: "We are now back at the previous way of not really rewarding cruise days or category." Now that I have gone back and re-read your post, I may have misunderstood your intent. If you weren't complaining, then I was wrong, and I apologize.

Sorry if I misunderstood.

When I read your post I took it that you were complaining about how the new program is not working properly. To quote you: "We are now back at the previous way of not really rewarding cruise days or category." Now that I have gone back and re-read your post, I may have misunderstood your intent. If you weren't complaining, then I was wrong, and I apologize.

Many times what we write and mean to say do come out different. Seeing your explanation and reading what I did write I see that it can be interpreted that way.

Thanks for the response and your explanation

As you can see from my other posts I book longer cruises and prefer to do so and after talking to the Rep from X about the promo I got to thinking about how Celebrity tried to improve or resolve a problem with their Captain Club tiers and point system but then still provides a way take advantage of booking shorter cruises to gain more cruise credits faster and I was trying to be helpful to those that are interested in beating the system which many on these boards are interested in.

.🎅🎄

Many times what we write and mean to say do come out different. Seeing your explanation and reading what I did write I see that it can be interpreted that way.

Thanks for the response and your explanation

It so nice to see such civility on a thread. Thank the two of you for being so gracious to each other.

Merry Christmas

Really? How much money is anyone going to spend on roundtrip airfares to get more points on a loyalty program of any type? I see you live in Michigan. Five roundtrip airfares opposed to one for what? 55 points? An absolutely crazy theory. I live withing 90 minutes of three cruise ports and 4 hours from another two. I wouldn't even drive to those ports for 55 points.

Really? How much money is anyone going to spend on roundtrip airfares to get more points on a loyalty program of any type? I see you live in Michigan. Five roundtrip airfares opposed to one for what? 55 points? An absolutely crazy theory. I live withing 90 minutes of three cruise ports and 4 hours from another two. I wouldn't even drive to those ports for 55 points.

Apparently you don't understand my post. Yes I live in Mi. It is a 1300 mi drive.

I am not going to drive or fly there for a 5 day cruise at 3 different times as opposed to taking a 14 day cruise, but while I am there I could do three 5 day cruises B2B2B. This is what many people did in tHe past to gain cruise points. That is what I am illustrating.

Am I going to do that? No because I don't need to chase after the points as they will come. Many people do and are very concerned about losing out due to the new system or reaching the next level. Just read all of the threads about the new club and how they feel cheated. I am just trying to help them get their points If they want them.

And we have taken B2B cruises many times on different ships and different lines while in FL. This year we walked off the Constellation, walked over and got on the Reflection. Last year we got off the Carnival Dream in Port Canaveral and drove to Ft Lauderdale and got on the Ruby Princess. There is nothing saying that you have to fly or drive home and back before getting on another cruise.

Edited by miched

Apparently you don't understand my post. Yes I live in Mi. It is a 1300 mi drive.

I am not going to drive or fly there for a 5 day cruise at 3 different times as opposed to taking a 14 day cruise, but while I am there I could do three 5 day cruises B2B2B. This is what many people did in tHe past to gain cruise points. That is what I am illustrating.

Am I going to do that? No because I don't need to chase after the points as they will come. Many people do and are very concerned about losing out due to the new system or reaching the next level. Just read all of the threads about the new club and how they feel cheated. I am just trying to help them get their points If they want them.

And we have taken B2B cruises many times on different ships and different lines while in FL. This year we walked off the Constellation, walked over and got on the Reflection. Last year we got off the Carnival Dream in Port Canaveral and drove to Ft Lauderdale and got on the Ruby Princess. There is nothing saying that you have to fly or drive home and back before getting on another cruise.

Bottomline, why would anyone chase after points? How many B2B2B would it take to go from Elite Plus, 750, to Zenith, 3000? And would it be worth the money or effort? NO!