Brilliance; cabin question 1602 vs 1556

L-in-CLT

Hello!

I have only cruised once, on Diamond Princess, in an aft full suite so my experience is very limited. We are planning to take a western Caribbean cruise on the Brilliance at the end of the March. I am torn on cabin choice and was looking for your opinions... Junior Suite 1602 aft or Grand Suite 1556 on the hump? I'm torn. I love the perks that come with a full suite...are they worth giving up for the larger, aft balcony of a junior suite? We spent a ton of time on our balcony on our Alaska cruise but not sure we would do the same on a Caribbean cruise. Also, on the aft Princess suite, the balcony was half covered so it was a very open feeling - from the pictures, suite 1556 seems like it is completely covered. What do you all think the pros and cons are?

Thoughts?

Much thanks!

L

Well, I've never been in a Grand Suite, but I have been in 1602 on the Brilliance and the Serenade and I loved it. We don't go to the shows much, so the preferred seating isn't a big deal and we are Diamond so we didn't need the lounge. Only you can decide what those perks mean to you and if the cost difference is worth it. But the balcony of 1602 is very big!

I would take 1556 if the price difference isn't significant. I love the aft cabins, and have had 1602 on Jewel and Serenade, but I adore the extra space and deluxe furnishings of a full suite. The only caveats I would have are (1) because it's sheltered from the wind, it can get very hot and you don't have a lot of shade and (2) it's under the outdoor seating for the WJ (if BR still has that; I haven't been on her post-revenue enhancement) so you will hear some noise from that.

1556 is right by the Centrum, but on Radiance we never heard any noise from there as there's a curved wall that blocks it. It used to be really convenient to the CL until the CL moved upstairs to Deck 13, but it's still more convenient than 1602 to all of the activities on the ship.

Although the balcony is fully covered, you don't have as much obstruction of the sky as you would in the GS that are under one of the bump-outs on Deck 10. And you have a good view down to the water.

Privacy: the balcony in 1556 is mostly private, but if you are at the railing of your balcony, the entire forward section will see you (it's not as bad as 1554, where your entire balcony is exposed). In 1602, people from above can see about 3 feet of your balcony at the rail.

We've also been lucky enough to sail in a Vista suite on Diamond. Those are a lot more private than 1602 would be, since nobody can see you except for your next door neighbor. The layout is a bit different from the GS on RCI - the GS has a single bathroom with two sinks, shower/tub combo and toilet instead of the two rooms with shower/jetter tub in one and sink/toilet in the other. As far as perks, I think that Brilliance still offers breakfast in Chops vs. breakfast in Sabatini's on Diamond (Diamond wins that one). RCI has a concierge lounge with nightly cocktails, while Princess offers a one time minibar setup and discounted drinks nightly.

Only you can decide whether the suite perks outweigh the aft balcony. I think that they do. Even though I get most of the suite perks anyway, I'd take the GS if the price difference isn't more than I think is reasonable (and you may have a different idea of "reasonable" than I do).

• 4 years later...

The GS will be fantastic...the balcony is quite ample for 2 people! And, the suite perks are nice. You won't get the suite perks with a JS. The location of the hump is VERY convenient. Let me tell you...the hallway to the aft is freaking LOOOOOOOONG! Every time you come and go....it's a hike! You will not be sorry for booking the GS.

I would take 1602 or even better cabin 1100 and use the savings to eat in a speciality restaraunt every night or maybe a drink package.

We prefer the "long" walk and the quietness of an aft Stateroom. We also don't care for the wind on a side balcony while the ship is moving between ports.

You'll probably get a 50/50 split on preference.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

Love the Aft Junior Suite friends had it on the Alaskan Cruise last June 2018 and have it again on our British Isle Cruise in June 2020 we got 1602 since their balcony is bigger it wraps to the side we had 1098 on the Alaskan which was to the side of them had a larger balcony for a JS on the side since half was covered and half was open it is said to be an obstructed view but it was fine. I love the back of the boat and figured we would save the $$ since the Suite is so much more $$ I thought $9,500 was enough for a 10 day but we will be in Europe!!! Did anyone end up picking the 1602??  Would like the details!!