$15 Corkage Fee on Star Princess/ Fact or fiction?

shiner6

I read a review for The Star Princess which stated "Princess allows you to bring as much wine on board as you wish as long as you pay the $15 corkage fee. Does anyone know additional information on this?

That is the current policy. They will assess that $15 fee either before you board (at embarkation) of they will get you as you board in the various ports.

Hank

I'm wary of contradicting advice from Hank & S7S, but.............

I've just checked Princess' website, which still says - as it's done for some years - that you can bring aboard 1 x 750ml bottle of wine per person to drink in your cabin/balcony without corkage fee.

Further bottles brought aboard for consumption on the cruise involve a $15 fee per bottle.

Has something changed? :confused:

JB :)

I read a review for The Star Princess which stated "Princess allows you to bring as much wine on board as you wish as long as you pay the $15 corkage fee. Does anyone know additional information on this?

any wine consumed in a public venue( MDR, lounge, etc) that you bring on board yourself is subject to the corkage fee( yes even if you bring the open bottle with you or it is a screw top).

bringing a single glass into the DR is fine.

people will tell you that they have never been charged. i am here to tell you i was.. all three times, on 2 different cruise lines. I assumed I would be, so it did not bother me when I was, but do not assume that just because somebody else was not charged that you will not be.

anything you consume in the privacy of your cabin is NOT subject to the fee. you can get glasses, an ice bucket and even a corkscrew from your cabin attendant or any bar.

Yes, that is what has been posted a number of times on CC forums.

Every bottle you bring aboard will have the fee no matter where you drink it.

I stand corrected, this is different than the other Lines I have sailed where only public venues charge. kinda makes it not worth the effort since you are basically adding $15 to the price of the bottle, and you can probably get something the same price or cheaper on board.

I'm wary of contradicting advice from Hank & S7S, but.............

I've just checked Princess' website, which still says - as it's done for some years - that you can bring aboard 1 x 750ml bottle of wine per person to drink in your cabin/balcony without corkage fee.

Further bottles brought aboard for consumption on the cruise involve a $15 fee per bottle.

Has something changed? :confused:

JB :)

This is the current policy.

I stand corrected, this is different than the other Lines I have sailed where only public venues charge. kinda makes it not worth the effort since you are basically adding $15 to the price of the bottle, and you can probably get something the same price or cheaper on board.

It is hard to get anything worth drinking for less then $25-30, plus 15%. And even these are not that great.

Thank you all for responding so quickly. I apologize for asking a question that has been covered numerous times, but I could not find a similar thread dealing with just Princess. I appreciate your advice. We are accustomed to having a nice glass of wine in the evening and a few beers/drinks during the day while on a Disney cruise ( they gracefully allow you to carry on as much alcohol as you like and we enjoy these beverages in our cabin in the evening), but I am rethinking our alcohol consumption during the 11 day journey to Alaska. While I enjoy my wine, I would prefer to spend such a large sum of money on other pastimes while visiting such a beautiful place. Any tips to compromise are greatly appreciated. While I appreciate a nice wine, I can not tolerate cheap yucky wine--rather drink water. I know there are others out there who identify with my dilemma.

PS. Hubby prefers to spend the cash and enjoy the wine!

JB is correct and I should have mentioned that you can still bring aboard 1 bottle of wine per person without that silly corkage fee. As much as we like Princess, the idea of charging a "corkage" fee to simply bring a bottle aboard for use in your cabin is ridiculous. I guess this all plays into the cruise lines trying to find more ways to enhance the bottom line. I suspect that Princess will soon start promoting the very profitable drink packages (available on several other cruise lines) where they get passengers to happily (and perhaps a bit naively) shell out about $50 a day (per person) for unlimited drinks. The reality is that very few passengers ever spend that much per day on beverages and these packages generate a big windfall for the cruise lines. Folks may want to look at their onboard accounts from past cruises and see how many days they spend over $100 per couple on drinks. While it can be done on sea days (but its not easy) it is generally not done on port days.

There is an irony to all these new policies. A few years ago it was mentioned that some cruise lines were very concerned about passengers getting intoxicated on their ships (and doing stupid things like jumping overboard) so they imposed restrictions aimed at "controlling" intoxication. And now, more and more lines are promoting "all you can drink" packages which we all understand will reduce the number of intoxicated passengers? We think not.

Hank

Hubby and daughter would beg to differ. A bottle of wine runs at least $25 or $30 for the least expensive on ship. They like the $50 plus bottles of wine on ship which can be bought off ship for enough of a savings to cover the corkage fee.