Captain's Club Revamp- Stinks for me!

Tenderpaw

If your cruise is after the "changeover" date, your points will be based on the new system that is more beneficial to Celebrity. I already tried asking the Captain's Club rep for this and was told no. She sounded like they have had a lot of calls on this subject. She said people have climbed the ladder asking for sups and managers and there is no give.

It is amazing how people defend their favorite cruise lines on these boards. How dare anyone question any Celebrity (or Royal Caribbean, or Carnival, etc) business decision!

Dave

You hit the nail on the head, twice!

Here is my final post on this thread in response to various posts by Gig, Shul, NLH, et al...

It is not what they did, but how it was done! Some of us consider the principle important. X set up the system and to me once final payment is made with bonuses as consideration, those extras become part of a contract as well as an ethics issue. If they're free to change CC giveaways after payment, then they could likewise change on board credits and/or other amenities already agreed upon. How would you X defenders feel about that? Even the airlines don't change the rules after the ticket is purchased and credit card companies give ample notices as well. If enough protests are made, the possibility of results increases considerably as there is power in numbers. If not, as a former employee of mine would say, you swallow and then get even with the pencil.

At one point Shil said “Celebrity has made changes to the Captain's Club program in the past and have never issued anyone a discount voucher for future travel.” How could you possibly make that blanket statement unless you’re employed at the exec level in X? In fact, that is totally incorrect and hopefully others will get a positive result and share it with the rest of the gang.

Celebrity set up the program and we partake of it- just like any rewards (or whatever you call it) program . Same as building the enormous ships which they often have difficulty filling. I didn't tell them to do that, but will book an undersold cruise at big savings to my advantage since they established the business model and reap the gains or losses from same. As previously posted, the CC rewards have limited value up to Elite level and paying more than you get doesn't add up. Someone who books AQ @ $1700 to receive more points is getting taken. I'd rather book a Concierge, Veranda or other lower cabin at savings of many hundred dollars per person which more than covers the 'free' rewards. Plus, the mini size balconies on the newer ships are pathetic and most can't even fit a lounge chair like on their predecessors.

Another monetary issue is the specialty restaurants which X raised up to $90/couple- on top of the dinner already paid for in the fare. While I've enjoyed dining at Tuscan Grille, Murano & Qsine, they're now overpriced and I'll no longer partake of them. To those who think it worth it- enjoy! Meanwhile I'll continue patronizing Sabatini's, Crown Grill and others at more reasonable prices and get the same level of food and service. If X succeeds with the raised prices, it will spread. If not, they'll drop or come up with other schemes to entice us. In the end our spending habits will dictate the result because it affects the bottom line.

We've all voiced our opinions and there is little that can be constructively added to the thread, unless someone can post having received any concession without the risk of losing it. So, smooth sailing and A Happy New Year to all!

Here is my final post on this thread in response to various posts by Gig, Shul, NLH, et al...

It is not what they did, but how it was done! Some of us consider the principle important. X set up the system and to me once final payment is made with bonuses as consideration, those extras become part of a contract as well as an ethics issue. If they're free to change CC giveaways after payment, then they could likewise change on board credits and/or other amenities already agreed upon. How would you X defenders feel about that? Even the airlines don't change the rules after the ticket is purchased and credit card companies give ample notices as well. If enough protests are made, the possibility of results increases considerably as there is power in numbers. If not, as a former employee of mine would say, you swallow and then get even with the pencil.

At one point Shil said “Celebrity has made changes to the Captain's Club program in the past and have never issued anyone a discount voucher for future travel.” How could you possibly make that blanket statement unless you’re employed at the exec level in X? In fact, that is totally incorrect and hopefully others will get a positive result and share it with the rest of the gang.

Celebrity set up the program and we partake of it- just like any rewards (or whatever you call it) program . Same as building the enormous ships which they often have difficulty filling. I didn't tell them to do that, but will book an undersold cruise at big savings to my advantage since they established the business model and reap the gains or losses from same. As previously posted, the CC rewards have limited value up to Elite level and paying more than you get doesn't add up. Someone who books AQ @ $1700 to receive more points is getting taken. I'd rather book a Concierge, Veranda or other lower cabin at savings of many hundred dollars per person which more than covers the 'free' rewards. Plus, the mini size balconies on the newer ships are pathetic and most can't even fit a lounge chair like on their predecessors.

Another monetary issue is the specialty restaurants which X raised up to $90/couple- on top of the dinner already paid for in the fare. While I've enjoyed dining at Tuscan Grille, Murano & Qsine, they're now overpriced and I'll no longer partake of them. To those who think it worth it- enjoy! Meanwhile I'll continue patronizing Sabatini's, Crown Grill and others at more reasonable prices and get the same level of food and service. If X succeeds with the raised prices, it will spread. If not, they'll drop or come up with other schemes to entice us. In the end our spending habits will dictate the result because it affects the bottom line.

We've all voiced our opinions and there is little that can be constructively added to the thread, unless someone can post having received any concession without the risk of losing it. So, smooth sailing and A Happy New Year to all!

I've asked this question before. Would you be as upset and going, possibly, to the BBB, if Celebrity were to miss a port or cancel a your cruise because of a charter or changed your cabin? All of these issues would also be part of your contract with Celebrity. If you read posts when people have complained about these issue, many (even some who are complaining about the changes to the Captain's Club), say that Celebrity has the right to change these things because it is written in the contract that they can change them at will and the people should just live with it. How is this any different? Many don't seem to have an ethics problem if Celebrity misses a port that someone really wanted to go to and they are told to get over it, because Celebrity can do what they want, but when it comes to free perks, it is a different story.

I don't know why Celebrity increased the prices in specialty restaurants, they probably felt that they wouldn't have a problem filling them at the new rate. Doesn't bother me, if I want to go, I'll go, if not, I won't go.

Hope you get what you are looking for. If not, I hope you enjoy your cruises, no matter what line you cruise on.

Happy New year and smooth sailing for 2014.:D

Hi NLH,

Having paid EXTRA for Conceige to obtain the EXTRA points and then not getting them is not right. Feels like we are being robbed. No, we did not book the cruise for the points. We paid extra for the extra points which we will not be getting. That is what is upsetting.

Comparing that to missed ports or changed cabins is comparing apples to oranges. Over the years, we have missed ports due to weather or lack of fuel. We always received refunds of the port charges.

When Princess changed their loyalty program, they grandfathered the old program so, obviously, it is not too complex to do.

I will repeat, again, what others have said. Celebrity can change their program, no one is arguing that. Just give us what we paid EXTRA for.

Happy New Year everyone.

Hi NLH,

Having paid EXTRA for Conceige to obtain the EXTRA points and then not getting them is not right. Feels like we are being robbed. No, we did not book the cruise for the points. We paid extra for the extra points which we will not be getting. That is what is upsetting.

Comparing that to missed ports or changed cabins is comparing apples to oranges. Over the years, we have missed ports due to weather or lack of fuel. We always received refunds of the port charges.

When Princess changed their loyalty program, they grandfathered the old program so, obviously, it is not too complex to do.

I will repeat, again, what others have said. Celebrity can change their program, no one is arguing that. Just give us what we paid EXTRA for.

Happy New Year everyone.

You got what you paid EXTRA for; a cruise in the cabin category you booked. The Captain's Club points were just a free program that was changed.

It is not apples to orange, the poster said it was a matter of ethics and that they had a contract for the Captain's Club points. Would you go to the BBB when they missed a port, probably not. Your cruise contract said a specific port, it was missed and what do people say when one complains about it saying they had a contract for that port, live with it. What about if Celebrity changes your cabin, you are in the same category, but different cabin. Your cruise contract was for cabin XYZ and now you are in ABC. If you come on here and complain, posters will say they have the right to change it, so live with it. Same goes if your cruise is cancelled....you have a contract for it, but Celebrity can cancel it and if you come on here and complain, they will say live with it. The bottom line is that Celebrity can changes all of these things at will, just as they can change the Captain's Club. Is it fair to everyone, no and I'm truly sorry you feel robbed.

My next booked cruise would have made me Elite, but didn't under the new program, so I was affected by the changes as well, but I guess I just realize that a company has the right to make changes and not everyone will be happy, but I'm very happy with the end result. A new program that gives points for days sailed (instead of a 4 day cruise being the same points as a 10 day cruise), gives everyone the ability to have a 1 category upgrade (where before it was not available on veranda and above), has two more tiers with more perks, etc.

I'm very sorry that you are unhappy and I hope that you have a very Happy New Year and many more cruises to come, whether you stay with Celebrity or go with another cruise line.

You got what you paid EXTRA for; a cruise in the cabin category you booked. The Captain's Club points were just a free program that was changed.

It is not apples to orange, the poster said it was a matter of ethics and that they had a contract for the Captain's Club points. Would you go to the BBB when they missed a port, probably not.

I very much disagree with you. Zip is not comparing missing a port to unilateral changes to the loyalty program. You are.

You post that it was " just a free program that was changed." Using that logic, how about if you ordered a car with a 3 year warranty.

What if they reduced this warranty before you received the car but after you had paid the down payment.

Would you still think this was fare, ethical or legal ? I wouldn't.

It is not apples to orange, the poster said it was a matter of ethics and that they had a contract for the Captain's Club points. Would you go to the BBB when they missed a port, probably not. Your cruise contract said a specific port, it was missed and what do people say when one complains about it saying they had a contract for that port, live with it. What about if Celebrity changes your cabin, you are in the same category, but different cabin. Your cruise contract was for cabin XYZ and now you are in ABC. If you come on here and complain, posters will say they have the right to change it, so live with it. Same goes if your cruise is cancelled....you have a contract for it, but Celebrity can cancel it and if you come on here and complain, they will say live with it. The bottom line is that Celebrity can changes all of these things at will, just as they can change the Captain's Club. Is it fair to everyone, no and I'm truly sorry you feel robbed.

quote]

Still not getting it. Of course they can but it still leaves people disappointed and feeling ripped off.:D

I very much disagree with you. Zip is not comparing missing a port to unilateral changes to the loyalty program. You are.

You post that it was " just a free program that was changed." Using that logic, how about if you ordered a car with a 3 year warranty.

What if they reduced this warranty before you received the car but after you had paid the down payment.

Exactly, what if you buy the 123 go promo and find the perk is not available after you board.You still have the cruise, so live with it. Not likely, I would be down to guest services and showing the paperwork that said I was supposed to have the perk.

I am sure anyone else would as well.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

Point being that when a passenger has a cruise contract, it is for a certain cruise, which includes certain ports and a certain cabin. When posters have come on complaining about the changes, most on here say that it is within Celebrity's right to change it (and that they should read the contract, as it says they can change at will) and to live with it. Same goes for the Captain's Club, it was a loyalty/rewards program (although it is not in the cruise contract) and it stated that it could be changed at anytime. It is basically the same premise for all. Why do some think the Captain's Club changes are unethical, but to cancel a cruise because of a charter is not, especially when one has a contract (the cruise) and the other doesn't. ???????

When you purchase a car, you have a warranty, which unless the company goes bankrupt and assuming that it is in writing can not be changed legally. That is, unless the car dealer or manufacturer has it in the contract (like Celebrity does) that it can be changed without notice. There is a big difference between a car warranty and a cruise line's loyalty/rewards program. I called the company who put in my windows when my house was built, because three had to be changed. The windows had a 10 year warranty and I'm in year 7. Unfortunately for me, the company declared bankruptcy and now won't replace the windows, because the warranty was voided due to the bankruptcy. Unethical, no. Am I going to the BBB about it, no. Why, because they have every right to make my warranty null and void because of their bankruptcy. Things happen and we might not always like what happens, but in the scheme of life, it really doesn't matter, does it. Hey, I'll just pay another company (even though it will cost me substantially more) to replace the windows and those that are unhappy with the Captain's Club changes will either accept the changes or go to another cruise line...we all have choices.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Still not getting it. Of course they can but it still leaves people disappointed and feeling ripped off.:D
Of course they can be disappointed and feel ripped off and I'm truly sorry for them. I actually talked with Celebrity corporate, the Monday the program was announced, and suggested that they waive the penalty fee for those in the penalty zone who would like to cancel. They didn't seem to like my idea, even though (1) I had no skin in the game and (2) I made a very valid case for it.

I have just as much sympathy for those that had their cruise cancelled because of a charter or missed a port, as I do for those that are unhappy with the Captain's club changes. Unfortunately, I seem to be in the minority, because I feel that all issues are the same, because Celebrity has said they have the right to change just about everything in their contract with us and there is no difference between the three issues. I guess some are not sympathic unless it affects them, then it is a different story.

Of course they can be disappointed and feel ripped off and I'm truly sorry for them. I actually talked with Celebrity corporate, the Monday the program was announced, and suggested that they waive the penalty fee for those in the penalty zone who would like to cancel. They didn't seem to like my idea, even though (1) I had no skin in the game and (2) I made a very valid case for it.

I have just as much sympathy for those that had their cruise cancelled because of a charter or missed a port, as I do for those that are unhappy with the Captain's club changes. Unfortunately, I seem to be in the minority, because I feel that all issues are the same, because Celebrity has said they have the right to change just about everything in their contract with us and there is no difference between the three issues. I guess some are not sympathic unless it affects them, then it is a different story.

The topic for this thread is Captain's Club Revamp- Stinks for me! .

People are having their whinge/ complaint about the captain's club changes and how it stinks for them and offering suggestions on how it could have been handled better. However, you keep saying that they shouldn't worry about it as X are legally allowed to change it and comparing it to other issues of cruising or stuations in life. We know that may be the case but people still want to air their frustrations.:D

People are having their whinge/ complaint about the captain's club changes and how it stinks for them and offering suggestions on how it could have been handled better. However, you keep saying that they shouldn't worry about it as X are legally allowed to change it and comparing it to other issues of cruising or stuations in life. We know that may be the case but people still want to air their frustrations.:D

I swore I wouldn't post on this topic again but I guess that will be the first (of probably many) resolutions I'll break this year. ;) :o

Sometimes, when people are upset, a sympathetic ear and an effort to understand and empathize makes one feel at least a little better.

A lot of people got cut out of things they expected ( I actually thought that would happen to us, I expected it and somehow we ended up in exactly the same place for now, that we would have under the old system) and I feel badly for them.

After reading a lot of these stories, I'd be pretty upset, also, if it happened to me.

Hi NLH,

We thank you for making a case (with Celebrity) to waive the cancellation penalty.

It does seem strange that you would call them since you had no skin in the game.

The fact remains that a classy company would grandfather changes (like Princess did ) so that everyone would be a winner.

Cheers,

Zip

Hi NLH,

We thank you for making a case (with Celebrity) to waive the cancellation penalty.

It does seem strange that you would call them since you had no skin in the game.

The fact remains that a classy company would grandfather changes (like Princess did ) so that everyone would be a winner.

Cheers,

Zip

They called me after I sent an email to them congratulating them on the new program. During the conversation (I didn't call just to fight for others), I said that some that already had cruises booked and were in the pentalty zone were unhappy and I suggested that they waive the penalty and explained that I personally did not feel that they would get many cancellations. I still feel that it would have been the right thing to do(and if you look at my past posts, I've said this over and over), but I don't make the decisions. No matter what they would have done, everyone would not have been a winner, there would still have been upset people. I think what they did had the least impact on the majority of their customers.

Edited by NLH Arizona

So, are you saying that the next time someone starts a thread complaining about how their cruise was cancelled because of a charter or they missed a port and they think it is unethical and are going to the BBB, that no one should come on their thread and say, what they always say, Celebrity has the right to change and/or cancel a cruise, it is in the contract. Don't think that will ever happen.

It seems that the transition isn't working well for people who take short cruises. Our friends who are travelling with us in 2 weeks on a B2B were at 7 points. They booked a C3 cabin to get them to Elite for the second leg. After the conversion they have 7 x 30 = 210+ 35 bonus points which brings them to 245. After the first leg they will receive 14 x 5 = 70 which will give them 315 points and they will still be Elite on the second leg. So in this case it works but I can understand why some people are upset.

So, are you saying that the next time someone starts a thread complaining about how their cruise was cancelled because of a charter or they missed a port and they think it is unethical and are going to the BBB, that no one should come on their thread and say, what they always say, Celebrity has the right to change and/or cancel a cruise, it is in the contract. Don't think that will ever happen.

No, I think some people will come on and tell them that X had a right, etc.

I would be provide some empathy and in some cases sympathy to their situation rather than tell them what they already know.:D

Hi NLH,

Cheers,

Zip

Actually Celebrity did grandfather the changes in certain respects. The generous 30 points for each old point was "grandfathering" and they even put in some bonus points for those close to the Elite Level. Everyone that was at the Elite level is still at the Elite level even if their actual cruise days and categories under the new calculation would not qualify. That would fit the definition of "grandfathering the changes".

Of course the decision on how to implement the awarding of points going forward certainly favors the cruisers who will actually earn more points under the new system since it was implemented right after the announcement. The immediate implementation of the new program would also positively impact the new Elite plus and Zenith cruisers, and any of those booking new cruises above the OV category taking advantage of the one category upgrade.

If Celebrity would have defined the new program and held off all aspects of the program for six to twelve months then even more cruisers would have been negatively impacted. Furthermore those impacted cruisers would have been the cruisers that have done a lot more business with Celebrity and perhaps ones that spend a lot more money with Celebrity.

I have a cruise this month and I will earn slightly less points under the new system, but it will not negatively impact by movement to the new Elite Plus level. I do not ever expect to get to the Zenith level, but it is nice to see that some cruisers do.

I do sympathize with the cruisers that now get less points under the new system especially since so many appear to have calculated points/levels going forward under the old program and for people that were already past final payment when the program was announced. Of course everyone has the right to express their disappointment and by now should be fairly confident that it will not change.

IMO a hybrid approach that tried to please everyone would have been very difficult to implement and would have certainly been more expensive for Celebrity. It must have been a very tough implementation decision without total in house agreement.

The bottom line is that it was a choice and IMO the choice was positive for more people than the other choice, but not for everyone.

To make everyone feel better I will tell you my experience. I got to the Elite level when the conversion took place. i sailed on my first cruise being elite and that is also after the conversion.

We were in AQ and had the drink package from the 123 promo. What did we gain from being elite? We didn't go to the breakfast because we ate in Blu and after we had breakfast we walked into the lounge set up for the elite. It was a continental breakfast, and rather sterile.

Went to the HH one night. It was like why bother with the drink pack. It was more convenient to go to a regular bar and have more choices.

Bottom line is don't feel as if you are missing anything. As long as there is the 123 promo being elite doesn't offer much. I have many cruises booked under the 123 promo where I got the drink pack. After those I will be Elite plus and I don't see much improvement to really get excited over or chase after

Don't take this as anything negative as the benefits are great but with the drink pack promo they aren't worth getting upset over or chasing after.

Just my opinion that isn't worth

Exactly why I didn't take the drink package...I took the ship board credit instead of the drink package. I can go to the lounge or use drink coupons and still have my money to spend. I saw people go to Blu for breakfast and come to the Elite breakfast for a Bloody Mary. The continental breakfast and specialty coffee was great for me when I didn't go Aqua, just had a balcony. Nice part was, my roommate got the same benefits that I got as Elite. Pretty nice??

Edited by AliceS

Exactly why I didn't take the drink package...I took the ship board credit instead of the drink package. I can go to the lounge or use drink coupons and still have my money to spend. I saw people go to Blu for breakfast and come to the Elite breakfast for a Bloody Mary. The continental breakfast and specialty coffee was great for me when I didn't go Aqua, just had a balcony. Nice part was, my roommate got the same benefits that I got as Elite. Pretty nice??

Great that you can utilise the perks and have a better cruise for it.:D

My first X cruise will be this coming March and I just checked out the loyalty program.

Am I reading it right that I'll get 3 points for staying in a veranda cabin so I'll be in the Classic (basic) level for the first 49 cruises I take on X? And it takes 750 points to become Elite Plus and 3,000 to become Zenith? That means I'll have to sail 250 times in order to get to Elite Plus and 1,000 cruises to be Zenith???? If so, that's crazy!

I'll become Elite on Princess later this year and will have only had to sail 7 times (several in full suites).

Any help in understanding this loyalty program is welcome. Thanks! :D

Edited by Go-Bucks!

My first X cruise will be this coming March and I just checked out the loyalty program.

Am I reading it right that I'll get 3 points for staying in a veranda cabin so I'll be in the Classic (basic) level for the first 49 cruises I take on X? And it takes 750 points to become Elite Plus and 3,000 to become Zenith? That means I'll have to sail 250 times in order to get to Elite Plus and 1,000 cruises to be Zenith???? If so, that's crazy!

I'll become Elite on Princess later this year and will have only had to sail 7 times (several in full suites).

The points are per day, not per cruise (e.g. 7 day cruise will give you 21 points for a veranda cabin).:D

Edited by MicCanberra

If you take one-week cruises and sail in full suites on Celebrity (Royal Suite or Celebrity Suite ), you would only need to sail 4 times to become Elite on Celebrity.

Here is a link to the Celebrity website where it is explained:

Welcome to the Club