American Table & American Feast Menu

kgriff

Just off the Splendor, I had a very nice discussion about the changing menus with a waitress who has been there for 9 years. First off, she had no idea about the new menus, so I assume they are not told until the last minute. When I had the strawberry bisque on day 2 she said that it was the best thing BUR for every 20 people ONE person orders it. Looking around the MDR I noticed no tables with it except mine. It just isn't cost efficient, while a small % may enjoy it most don't.

The bread was served in a basket on my cruise.

As for the dessert, I was the only one at my table that had the B&B and I hated it...., cappicino pie was meh, cherries jubilee meh, the only dessert I liked that won't be on the new menu was the creme brulee and grand marnier souffle.

We also discussed the fact when she first started 9 years ago, a waiter had 16 people to their station, now it's 30. DOUBLE IN 9 YEARS. They need to give these poor souls a rest.

Edited by pamrose228

Now if they don’t want to re-add some choices back to the new menu then I have a real simple solution. Just keep Guy’s Burger Joint and Blue Iguana Cantina open until 9 PM. I just might skip the MDR more often to eat dinner at these two places!

I agree with this!

For me I don't have a problem with water carafe being on the table because I would love to refill my glass instead of having to wait to be served. Also don't have a problem with no white table cloths or change in bread but--- I do wish they would keep the Bitter n Blanc & the Creme Brulee!!! Not a big fan of pies but I guess without my favorite desserts, I might not gain so much weight!!!

Edited by klhskygirl

We always look to the MDR as the highlight of the day. Not everyone goes on the same tours or does the same things, and on sea days, sometimes we would miss each other completely. Dinner at the end of the day was a guaranteed meeting time and a nice dinner together every night. It is still a big part of our cruise experience. A deli sandwich cannot ever come close to family time with a cup of coffee and talking about the snorkeling of the day over dessert etc. If my Dream service for breakfast lunch and dinner wouldn't have been so abysmal, I wouldn't be quite so disappointed in my cruise experience. But it just was a big let down, compared to all my other cruises including CCL. We had incredible service on Triumph and Holiday and so-so slow on Conquest but Dream was dysfunctional and rude. I'm not going to cruise for pizza for dinner, it's not going to happen. I have since moved on to other cruise lines, and very interested in Tortola too! CCL really shot themselves in the foot eliminating all the servers and making the ones there like their lives are hades. I really feel for them, its not their fault. It's corporate. They just cannot keep up with everyone. No wonder he snapped at me for asking for a cup of hot tea!

Edited by TwinPrincessMermaids

I see there has been a lot of talk about the new menu. Thought I would throw in my two cents..... For those of you interested, the menu is the same on both the eastern and western legs. And that is not a good thing. The good thing is that instead of having to eat two complete meals, you can order two entrees and just one side. There doesn't seem to be many choices. We missed having some new choices plus the old standbys. Sometimes we were at a loss for something to order. A couple times we ordered something we didn't really want because there wasn't anything we really wanted!

Same thing for the desserts. But... we normally order a medium rare Mickey Mouse so it really didn't matter! That's a half done Chocolate Melting Cake with two ice creams for those of you newbies!

I know this is all driven by the bottom line. Hopefully they understand this might not be the best direction.

On another note.... Also related to the bottom line, the shows are almost non-existent. Yes, there is some comedy, but the actual shows are very weak. We just cruise to get away and relax, so it's no big deal to us.

Lastly I would like to add that for whatever reason, the people working on the last two cruises we were on seem to be happier. On the Breeze and the Glory all the people from the wait staff to the cabin stewards were always greeting us by name and a smile. That made for a more enjoyable cruise!

Any questions???? I will try to get back on here and help you if I can....

Gary

Just wanted to comment on the water situation. On the liberty 1/18 cruise no carafes on the table, but the waiters were always filling our glasses. I don't think ours ever got to half gone. We had ATD so different waiters all week.

We noticed the same thing, carafes were not on the tables and the tables all had tablecloths every night. I am very happy about it because although some folks don't care about tablecloths I find it makes the dining experience more elegant. I also found that what people are saying about folks showing up on elegant nights dressed in bummy looking clothes is wrong. All the people I saw had dressy clothes. All the men had a minimum of shirts and ties, most wore suits and a few had tuxes.

We had great service on our third night so we asked for that table again every night thereafter.

The menu is much more limited now , especially on American Feast night. THe lack of desserts is disappointing, but for the rest of the menu there are still enough options that most folks will definitely get a delicious meal they will thoroughly enjoy. In fact, I think it's the best dinners we've had in our 7 cruises.

I think it is a downgrade, because once again, if you are sharing a table with strangers, you have to all touch the same handle of the water pitcher. Okay, I am an admitted germ-a-phobe. I sanitize before the Lido buffet, and again before I touch my fork. I don't want the germs of everyone who touches a utensil (or pitcher) on my hands when I am eating.

Think that's a very valid point about the pitcher. With norovirus happening a lot they'd be well advised to have waiters pour it.

Sent from my wonderful iPhone 5 using the fabulous Cruise Critic app.

Valid point maybe, but do you walk around the ship with your hands in the air? I mean, there are common surfaces EVERYWHERE. Granted, I'm NOT a germophobe, I have worked in a school setting for over 30 years. I RARELY get sick. I never drink out of an hallway drinking fountain and I was my hands regulary. I think you have to have a little exposure to germs to build up an immunity.

I don't understand all the concern about sharing utensils. My two kids work in food service. If you knew about restaurants, you may NEVER eat outside your own kitchen again. :eek:

Valid point maybe, but do you walk around the ship with your hands in the air? I mean, there are common surfaces EVERYWHERE. Granted, I'm NOT a germophobe, I have worked in a school setting for over 30 years. I RARELY get sick. I never drink out of an hallway drinking fountain and I was my hands regulary. I think you have to have a little exposure to germs to build up an immunity.

I don't understand all the concern about sharing utensils. My two kids work in food service. If you knew about restaurants, you may NEVER eat outside your own kitchen again. :eek:

I agree....what do you do about stair railings and elevator buttons and door knobs. I mean if you're that worried about it, grab the pitcher with a napkin so you don't have to touch the handle.

So I have been back on land for 3 days (not one bit happy about it). We had a great cruise. We were on the Glory for the 7 day Eastern Caribbean itinerary. I'm not sure what the big deal is about the American Table. Now let me first qualify this by saying that we were at a table for 6 - and we were all traveling together, so none of us were strangers. There were no table cloths on the tables on the 'Table' nights. This didn't bother me as much - it's not like the tables were plywood, with splinters. They were always dressed nicely, and set as any table should be. As for the water carafe's on the table - after all of the non water we were drinking all day - it was nice to be able to continuously fill our glasses.

The menu's were fine, they were not confusing as others have mentioned in the past. The Rare Finds were on there, absolutely loved the port of call section - and unless you are an insanely picky eater - there was always something fantastic to eat. None of us ate dessert much, and it had nothing to do with the offerings - it only had to do with the fact that we were stuffed from dinner, and were looking forward to getting out and spending the night in the club. Dinner didn't take any longer than it has on any other of my cruises, or in any good restaurant. Yes... It was considerably longer than McDonalds and Denny's.

Not one of us 6 felt that we had to eat something we weren't interested in because there was nothing else - Sometimes the choices were not easy... simply due to wanting to try everything. And as always, you were able to order as many appetizers, entree's, desserts as you liked.

As for the table plates (Calamari, Flat Bread & Cesar Salad) They were all done wonderfully. You only received a sharing style platter if you wanted it that way, it was never imperative to share. The flat bread was amazing - especially if you like mushrooms.

The Feast Nights were just like any other Elegant night, table cloths were back on, the lobster was superb, as was the Prime Rib. whipped potatoes were amazing. I never had a poorly cooked steak - although I order them blue rare.

The maître D' was by our table each night to greet us (which has never happened on any of my other cruises). Our dining staff was fantastic, Robert (B.O.B.), John and Andreea & we were at table 519. If you were on our cruise - we were the ones who were laughing through dinner every night.

So for everyone who has stated how much they hated the new menu/style - my suggestion is to find some new dining mates that keep you laughing, because if table cloths make or break your vacation - you take life too seriously. Now please keep in mind that we are younger - all early 30's, all professional. We have all enjoyed fine dining in some very well known restaurants, we came to enjoy our vacation, not have to cook and spend some time with friends - all of it was perfect. It is what you make it.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from the inspiration and the previous week on the Valor. The Valor was the old menu which has always been great. The inspiration was the new American Table menu, which we could have done without. But since the buffet food has deteriorated in quality over the last few years, we didn't have much choice.

Dining room was "dressed" the same as always. No water carafes which would have been nice as on the inspiration, we felt like the outcast table, like we were an after thought when they assigned tables to staff, our service was bad every night. On the Valor, it was awesome as well as on all of my previous cruises.

Yes, the design of the menu is chaotic, the previous menu it was clear what was usual and what was served just today. There were less choices, which did make it a little difficult to find something that appealed to you. Still had the "did you ever" section which included the same menu items.

The "for the table" section is deceiving. The Calamari.... 6 rings... not sharing size, the Caesar salad, same size as on Valor. The flat bread was 4 pieces, in total, probably about 4" x 12", that you could share with another person, but the table? There are 4 slices, 9 ppl at the table... hmmm....

Now.. the quality... maybe its because its a new menu (hoping) But the quality of the entrees was not up to par. The Veal, needed a steak knife to cut it and then it was barely chewable. Wasn't able to eat it. The Steak Tacos (for Ensenada night) Had 2 quarter sized pieces of meat, with a couple onion slices and melted cheese in a flour tortilla. A Del Taco quesadilla has more meat that they did. I did order the quesadilla as well, and it looked the same as the steak tacos without the 2 pieces of meat. The tortilla soup, however, had no tortillas in it, the supposed chicken was non existent as well. Now I realize that ordering Tacos in the dining room seems kinda silly, but it was a featured item... I thought maybe it would be something wonderful. I thought... when in Ensenada right? I guess not. I had better tacos for lunch from a street vendor.

They still rock the desserts, but other than that, they can keep the rest of the menu. oh.. and new china? The ramekins for the choc. melting cake are now smaller diameter... less cake... sad....

Im still going again because I still love carnival, but hoping they change up the menu or get better at preparing the dishes.

• 1 month later...
As for the table plates (Calamari, Flat Bread & Cesar Salad) They were all done wonderfully. You only received a sharing style platter if you wanted it that way, it was never imperative to share. The flat bread was amazing - especially if you like mushrooms.

Cheers!

If you're not a seafood eater, and don't care to eat Calamari, will you be able to have them substitute something else for you?

Does anyone know if the room service desserts are the same on the new menu ships? Ie., that awesome chocolate cake (not warm melting) that was available on room service,... is it still on the room service for the new menu ships?

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have the official rollout schedule for this? I didn't see it in the postings and I can't find it on Carnival's site.

Not being able to find a rollout on the carnival site makes me think it is not going as well as the thought it would and that they are scrambling to figure out how to proceed.

Does anyone know if the room service desserts are the same on the new menu ships? Ie., that awesome chocolate cake (not warm melting) that was available on room service,... is it still on the room service for the new menu ships?

Our experience on the Inspiration...

Same RS menu on the Inspiration. Didn't notice any changes.

Kid's menu is a bit different.

Not a throwaway but a small sheet tucked into the same style holder as the dessert menu.

The kid's menu has changed slightly but still had kid friendly fare, including the Carnival sundae or banana split.

It also has chicken noodle soup. Good for those days I don't want a cream based soup.

Does anyone have the official rollout schedule for this? I didn't see it in the postings and I can't find it on Carnival's site.

Not being able to find a rollout on the carnival site makes me think it is not going as well as the thought it would and that they are scrambling to figure out how to proceed.

The menu is still being tweaked.

Was in the Inspiration in February, a few cruises after rollout and again last week.

There were changes to some of the recipes. Speaking to one of the hostesses, she said that the menus have been tweaked constantly.

I've been looking and looking for PICTURES of the new offerings! There don't seem to be many out there. I think I could find something to order each night, but I'd love to see what I'd be getting.

I was on Glory May 11 and enjoyed the new menus. There are a lot of the same things there, although they may be named a little different. There was only one night that I didn't have an appetizer and I by no means went hungry. I think the tables without the tablecloths look absolutely beautiful. And I do like the single page menu. Much easier to read and less bulky than those huge, book type ones they had before. Big thumbs up from me! I would sail Glory again in a heartbeat for new menus vs old ones.

Well we are about to ride the Glory again. (It was a "last minute" extended family vacation idea.) So I will let you all know if the following reduction in choices still holds true or not. To me, this is the bottom line. Table clothes, water carafes, bread on the table, etc. that's all individual preferences. But when the actual menu choices are reduced then everybody is impacted. Of course as I have said before, if the items that you really like are still on the menu then you are good. But if the items that you were craving were removed, then you are not so good.

And I will see if I can provide some pictures as well.

(7 day menus)

Old menu - 78 appetizers (11 every night +1)

New menu - 48 appetizers (8 normal nights, 4 on formal nights)

= 39% reduction in appetizer choices

Old menu - 84 entrees (12 every night)

New menu - 60 entrees (10 on normal nights, 5 on formal nights)

= 29% reduction of entrée choices

Old menu - 49 deserts (7 every night)

New menu - 23 deserts (4 on normal nights, 1 on first formal, 2 on 2nd formal)

= 53% reduction of desert choices

Old menu - 21 soups (3 different per night)

New menu - 6 soups (1 choice per night, no soup on first formal)

= 62% reduction of soup choices

We were on the Glory and while there were some things I didn't like about it there were a lot I liked. I definitely liked that you can order your sides separately. This way I'm sure there is less waste. I liked how they left bread on the table and we were with friends so I liked sharing appetizers. Our waiters had more time to talk to us and get to know us. That is important to my group. We had an awesome time!