Boardwalk balcony vs ocean view balcony

Hi everyone!

We are going on a western Caribbean cruise on the Oasis in March. There recently was a price drop for this cruise. It's past our final payment date so obviously we can't get our current boardwalk balcony room for the current price. However, according to our travel agent we can upgrade to an ocean view balcony for only $30 more. In doing this, we would also lose $50 of the $100 in onboard credit we currently have (not sure how or why, but that's what she said). Neither my husband or I have ever had a balcony on a cruise before (only ever been in an interior room), so we are just thrilled to have one this year. In your opinion, is it worth it to upgrade? I can see the pros and cons of both...I think it would be great to people watch and see the Aqua Theater, but an ocean view will be more private. We are struggling with this decision (I know!! We have it so tough! Haha :) )

Personally speaking, the oceanview without a doubt!

The boardwalks are nice but you are directly opposite everyone else and there is no privacy. On the ship you will find endless opportunities for people watching and there are the 'hidden' balconies where you can watch the AquaTheater shows from but of course, during shows, these do tend to get busier!

Jo :)

Once you go balcony it will be very hard to go back. Now that said, I LOVE ocean view balconies. Much more private and the serenity of just sitting there staring at the ocean is wonderful. Plus usually some nice views in port too. Depending on where your boardwalk balcony is though you will still get some great ocean view. The ones more aft I've heard give great views of the wake as well as views of the aqua theater.

What you do is up to you. In essence losing the OBC you are actually spending $70 to upgrade to an ocean view. Is this worth it to you?

If your Boardwalk balcony is near the aft (back) of the ship, I would keep it. In addition to saving a little $$$ I think these rooms are great. Still have some view of the ocean, you can watch the Aqua Shows (and practices) from your balcony and do people watching from your balcony. I had the furthest aft Boardwalk balcony room and absolutely loved the view. Yes there was a bit of noise at times (during the Rita's Fiestas and when movies or shows were going on at the Aqua Theater) - but with my door shut it was only very minor. So long as privacy is not a big issue (as those with balconies across from you and those on the Boardwalk can all see you) I highly recommend an aft Boardwalk balcony and would choose this over an Oceanview in a heartbeat even if the price was the same. I would prefer an Oceanview to a Boardwalk balcony that is not near the aft though.

Edited by Gonzo70

Our current boardwalk room is about 7 or 8 in from the aft. Room 10715 to be exact. So it's not right at the aft, but I think should still have decent views. I'm not at all worried about noise. We are in our late 20s and stay out pretty late, so I have a feeling we won't have to worry about late night noise as we will probably be the ones making it! Haha. Thanks for all of your opinions! We are still a little bit undecided and might end up keeping our BW room just to save a little bit of $ to use on an excursion or something!

We have always had an OV balcony on past cruises, but on our Oasis cruise coming up in 2015 we decided to book the BW balcony. We will be in 11329, the last balcony aft for Aquatheater, Ocean and Boardwalk views all in one! Plus, we will have the "secret balcony" just a few stops from our door. I have heard that it can be noisy with the door open in the BW balcony rooms, but doesn't last much later than 11 PM and that is fine with us. I can close the curtains if not dressed, so no problem for privacy. I enjoy my OV balcony on other cruises, but on the Oasis the cruise is about the ship more than anything. I think we'll enjoy this different experience. Looking forward to it!:)

For the OP: Since you have never experienced an OV balcony before I would suggest in your case you do go for the upgrade since it is such an inexpensive change. We chose the BW balcony for a change of pace. Otherwise, I am a true OV balcony snob!;)

Thanks everyone! I think we are going to go ocean view. Any opinions on what decks are best for an ocean view? Higher? Lower? That is if we have options!

Yes, I would recommend Deck 8 on Oasis, as it is the same as Central Park Café, which is a nice quick trip in the morning for coffee and pastries, if you wish. :) Deck 8 is pretty central to everything, both up and down. Enjoy your cruise.

Yes, I would recommend Deck 8 on Oasis, as it is the same as Central Park Café, which is a nice quick trip in the morning for coffee and pastries, if you wish. :) Deck 8 is pretty central to everything, both up and down. Enjoy your cruise.

If I were booking an OV cabin again on Oasis or Allure I would also recommend Deck 8. We were there on the Allure. Try to get close to one of the elevator banks.

We've had an BW Balcony on the Oasis and next spring will be in the very aft BW Balcony on deck 10.

I love the fact that you can watch the shows from your balcony PLUS watch the wake.

No noise issues and we didn't mind that there were cabins across from us.

Since this type of cabin is only available on these ships I would keep my BW Balcony and pick a regular ocean view balcony for your next cruise.

Very true OP if you are a late nighter and on deck 10,no problem! We were on 14, with the zip line landing pad right on our balcony roof and mini golf right behind that. Seems like a lot of kids running too.... I did enjoy the Aqua show and practice but not so much the cheering during other shows / contests held in the venue which was quite loud even with door shut. I was amused watching some others on the opposite side...especially the big guy in boxers with his butt crack showing...:-). There are more fun things to spend the money on that's for certain!

I also vote for the Boardwalk balcony. I just got off Allure yesterday morning and had room 9325 and I loved people watching and the view of the water...I have not cruised as much as most of these people but I really enjoyed my room....

Edited by SassySabby

We have been on Oasis once and Allure twice. We have chosen Boardwalk Balconies on all three cruises. We have had 12715, 12717, and 12721.

We usually book ocean view balconies, but Oasis and Allure are the only ships that have this unique type of cabins, and we loved them.

It is so much fun to people-watch, see the shows from our balcony, and also see the wake. As others have said, there may be some minimal noise when there are shows in the Aquatheatre, but it is easy to shut the door and the noise is very minimal in the cabin. I never worried about other people looking in, I just shut the drapes when I changed my clothes, or went in the bathroom to do it.

Since you have a chance to experience something really cool, I would say go for it, and then book an ocean view cabin on another cruise.

For our Allure in April we've booked a BOARDWALK BALCONY 10717 (next to yours, OP).

My TA did offer us an oceanview balcony. This is my reply to him :

"We can have oceanview balcony anytime, but this is our only chance to experience a boardwalk balcony, so be it."

I don't know if we'll like it or hate it, but at least for the novelty, I just want to experience it. I even secretly wish that no upgrade fairy this time : please, please let us stay in a boardwalk balcony, for better or worse. :)

Immediately after Allure, we will enjoy our oceanview balcony on Epic. ;)

YMMV, but whatever your decision is, enjoy your cruise!

So true what everyone has said! We can do a OV on any ship. We have started to become more avid cruisers so there's no way this is our last chance for an OV! The only OV's available are on deck 6 and I don't know if I want to be that low. I think we will keep our boardwalk! Thanks so much for all the opinions. Once again, CC has been invaluable!

Just off Allure. Had OV Balcony. Brother had Boardwalk Balcony. Would not take a Boardwalk Balcony personally. You can utilize the "free secret" public balconies to view aqua show or sit down in Boardwalk to people watch. Boardwalk Balcony has NO privacy at all. NONE. No way to join Balcony Club if you take a Boardwalk (or CP) Balcony. Lots of noise during the day. (Though boardwalk seemed to quiet down by 11PM) Not relaxing. If you are not far aft forget about seeing water. Yes, it is novel, but not a lot of places to view ocean on Oasis-class without an ocean balcony. Nice to go back to room for a nap on quiet balcony with ocean views, breezes, and sounds of waves. I'd do the upgrade in a moment and never look back.

My TA had suggested deck 8 as well and it turned out great. Near Central Park (Park Cafe is awesome, and free).

Edited by LMaxwell

We had OV facing balcony on Oasis and the following week on Allure, a Boardwalk balcony (deck 9, next to last) and I liked the oceanfacing MUCH BETTER. Like the others posted, there is no privacy in the Boardwalk balconies. All week on the Allure, I kept thinking it was so nice the week before on the Oasis facing the ocean. I vote for deck 8 too. Nice and close to the Park Cafe!

We have always had an OV balcony on past cruises, but on our Oasis cruise coming up in 2015 we decided to book the BW balcony. We will be in 11329, the last balcony aft for Aquatheater, Ocean and Boardwalk views all in one! Plus, we will have the "secret balcony" just a few stops from our door. I have heard that it can be noisy with the door open in the BW balcony rooms, but doesn't last much later than 11 PM and that is fine with us. I can close the curtains if not dressed, so no problem for privacy. I enjoy my OV balcony on other cruises, but on the Oasis the cruise is about the ship more than anything. I think we'll enjoy this different experience. Looking forward to it!:)

For the OP: Since you have never experienced an OV balcony before I would suggest in your case you do go for the upgrade since it is such an inexpensive change. We chose the BW balcony for a change of pace. Otherwise, I am a true OV balcony snob!;)

We are doing the same cabin on the Allure for our 2/2 cruise-have heard good reviews-ocean views out the back, ocean aria shows etc. We are used to inside cabins so this will be fun for us-we are usually out and about-this might make us stay 'home' for a while

Enjoy your cruise