Bar staff sucks money from your pocket!!

jebl

On a multiple thousand dollar vacation of any sort $10 is NOT going to make or break anyone. But just because it's not going to break you doesn't mean it is right for the company to do.

I agree with you on the subject of breaking the bank. If the situation were reversed and at the end of the cruise you owed RCI $10.00 I can assure you that you would not get off of the ship until you made good on it. It would be easy to argue that $10.00 isn't going to break RCI's bank but that won't get you past security and off of the ship.

I am no expert on bars or bar tendering. But isn't it the practice to use the "well" liquor unless someone specifies that they want the premium brand? I'm just asking as I really don't know.

We learned early on to be specific when ordering drinks. If we just said "Margarita", sometimes we would get one of the higher cost versions. We learned to say "House Margarita", or something like least expensive margarita available.

This problem doesn't apply to all drinks. For example, if you say "Jack and Coke", that's pretty hard for them to substitute something more expensive.

Edited by clarea

We learned early on to be specific when ordering drinks. If we just said "Margarita", sometimes we would get one of the higher cost versions. We learned to say "House Margarita", or something like least expensive margarita available.

This problem doesn't apply to all drinks. For example, if you say "Jack and Coke", that's pretty hard for them to substitute something more expensive.

Thanks. I guess back in my college days the bar tenders all figured none of us students had much money anyway so up grading the alcohol was never an issue. And I guess as I got on in life I didn't do enough drinking to learn any more about it than I did in college.:o

I am no expert on bars or bar tendering. But isn't it the practice to use the "well" liquor unless someone specifies that they want the premium brand? I'm just asking as I really don't know.

A good reputed saloon would ask to specify what maker you would want to consume,but we are talking about a mid to lower mass marketed cruise line here. Training and turnover is sometimes questionable and things fall through the cracks. Sometimes people go to Applebee's and expect Tavern on the Green (which is to re-open again in the spring). Merry Christmas Ocean Boy.:)

Here in my town, land of serious overpouring/overserving, if you want the fancy liquor you order the fancy liquor. If you don't order a specific kind, you get the cheap stuff. Here, bartenders don't want to waste the good stuff if there's a chance it will be refused and not paid for. And they don't want to lose the future tips of people who feel they've been forced to buy something they didn't want to buy/drink/pay for.

I think it's EXCELLENT to know that some bartenders on RCCL are doing this. It's a total 180 from the way bartenders here behave, so the head's up is most appreciated.

I agree with you on the subject of breaking the bank. If the situation were reversed and at the end of the cruise you owed RCI $10.00 I can assure you that you would not get off of the ship until you made good on it. It would be easy to argue that $10.00 isn't going to break RCI's bank but that won't get you past security and off of the ship.

And oddly enough you probably won't get a bunch of people posting here that RCL is making a big deal about it, and should let it go, and so on.

Yes, in every bar I tended--and those I owned, that is the practice. The upsell should be asking if they want a specific liquor and receiving an agreement from the customer, but not a blind upsell.

Exactly! Specify what you want and get what you order. Dont cry when you say rum and coke then when they give you bacardi and coke.

OP stated that they DID specify the well/call brand liquor. This is always the least expensive option.

Your post might confuse someone. "Well" and "call" are two different things. Perhaps you meant to say well/house? The terms "well" or "house" can be used interchangeably, and refer to the cheap liquor that is automatically poured if no particular brand is specified, i.e. someone orders simply a "vodka tonic." Call brands are any brand that is specifically requested (called) by name, i.e. Absolut & tonic, or Ketel & tonic.

Yes, in every bar I tended--and those I owned, that is the practice. The upsell should be asking if they want a specific liquor and receiving an agreement from the customer, but not a blind upsell.

Agree with this - always the well/house (lowest cost) brand unless otherwise specified.

Happened quite a few times when we were on the Mariner ordering rum & cokes. I simply refused to pay the bill & had the bartender make me a new one when it happened. Bartenders who "long" poured me with the drink I requested got tipped 30% or more. Enough said...never had a problem as a customer.

So:

Cheat & steal against me... BOO! YOU STEALING SCUM!

Cheat & steal for me... YAY! YOU GAVE ME EXCELLENT SERVICE!

How about they just pour a decent drink and don't cheat or steal from you or their employer?

This is why SkyNet bartenders will eventually rule the world!

;)

So:

Cheat & steal against me... BOO! YOU STEALING SCUM!

Cheat & steal for me... YAY! YOU GAVE ME EXCELLENT SERVICE!

How about they just pour a decent drink and don't cheat or steal from you or their employer?

This is why SkyNet bartenders will eventually rule the world!

;)

Giving a customer a long pour is NOT always cheating the house! I was a bartender for many years out of college and all bartenders are given a house percentage of "spillage". As long as you stayed within your pourable volume/drink ratio you were ok. I guess you were not aware of this :-D

Edited by JTexcruise

Giving a customer a long pour is NOT always cheating the house! I was a bartender for many years out of college and all bartenders are given a house percentage of "spillage". As long as you stayed within your pourable volume/drink ratio you were ok. I guess you were not aware of this :-D

My brother and a few friends are bartenders. I know of spillage. I also know that actual spillage and drink mistakes happen, which is what that cushion is for. That cushion is not to cheat for people who bribe you.

The more people that follow your advice and methods... the more the house gets cheated. OR the more chumps that don't bribe the bartenders get short-poured.

My brother and a few friends are bartenders. I know of spillage. I also know that actual spillage and drink mistakes happen, which is what that cushion is for. That cushion is not to cheat for people who bribe you.

The more people that follow your advice and methods... the more the house gets cheated. OR the more chumps that don't bribe the bartenders get short-poured.

......one constant which is true to this board is that RCL is always guilty and despicable UNTIL they give you a free drink, a very low cruise price, you beat the cruise line financially, or get a very big on board credit.......then they are wonderful......the Royal Theory of Relativity...;Poncho you hit the nail on the head a lot of times......):D

Spillage is also for "marketing" purposes. In fact it is the bartenders slush fund budget to do with as he pleases as long as he does not exceed it. Sorry Poncho.....we will have to agree to disagree on this one.

BTW.....Even though bar tending is not my primary source of income now I still enter mixology contests from time to time. Here is my latest recipe...cheers!

Paradise Pom Margarita

* .5oz Pomegranate Juice

.75 oz Fresh Squeezed Lime Juice

1 oz blood orange juice

.5 oz Simple Syrup

.5 oz Pomegranate Syrup

2.0 oz Partida Blanco Tequila

1.0 oz Solerno blood orange liqueur (Triple Sec as substitute)

* Flash blend with 1/4 blender of ice or hand shake on the rocks. If hand shaken add a splash of water.

* Present in a large martini glass

* Garnish with blood orange wheel twisted on rim

* simple syrup is equal parts sugar & water dissolved together.

* Pomegranate syrup is made by simmer juice to syrup consistency.

Ordered a double Beefeater martini at a bar, Was charged $11.90. Ordered same drink in the MDR. I was charged $19 in the main dining room. The charge in the Main dining room was $ 8.95 each I was charged for two sepedate drinks as a double. Charge at the other bars was $ 5.95 each as a double. I told the server in the main dining room about the charge at the other bar she said she would check. She came back with a different receipt and a credit for the $19 drink and said when you order a double it's less expensive , I told her that's why I order a double.

In case you didn't understand what I was saying, I ordered a regular Bloody Mary with well vodka. I specified that I did NOT want the Ultimate. I don't know how to say it any plainer.

I was brought an Ultimate and told there is no well. At the Schooner bar I got a Bloody Mary made with well as I watched the pour. So yes there is a well brand.

Edited by jebl

In case you didn't understand what I was saying, I ordered a regular Bloody Mary with well vodka. I specified that I did NOT want the Ultimate. I don't know how to say it any plainer.

I was brought an Ultimate and told there is no well. At the Schooner bar I got a Bloody Mary made with well as I watched the pour. So yes there is a well brand.

...THEN YOU SHOULD HAVE SENT IT BACK.....CASE CLOSED....:rolleyes:

My recommendation; find your favorite bar on the first day and slip the bartender (or both of them) a $20 and ask them to watch for you all week. You will get excellent service. Play the game. It is what it is. :)

So essentially you paid for the upsell in advance, not right in my opinion. You should not have to bribe anyone to get what you ask for.

......one constant which is true to this board is that RCL is always guilty and despicable UNTIL they give you a free drink, a very low cruise price, you beat the cruise line financially, or get a very big on board credit.......then they are wonderful......the Royal Theory of Relativity...;Poncho you hit the nail on the head a lot of times......):D

I am not out to cheat RCCL, but what the happened when the cruiser ordered his drink (that began this thread) to me seems wrong. How the cruiser handled it, has been discussed as well....people may disagree, but what began this thread, still isn't right.

Yes, I want the best price I can get when I plan my cruise vacation. I book the cruise I want and pay the advertised fee....if it goes down and I can get the reduced rate....wonderful....if not I booked the cabin I want at what I felt was a good price. But this had nothing to do with -- what this topic is about.

The well is Finlandia.

And even when I specified well they brought the Ultimate and said they didn't have any well. Once when I specified well I saw him pick it up then turn around and get the Smirnoff. I called him on it and got what I asked for.

Lies, lies, outright lies.

If you are going to drink any liquor straight or on the rocks go for the high end. But once you mix it it doesn't matter so I go for the low end.

Lies lies outright lies.......OK so you tell the servers what you want, if they don't have it ok, if they do and pour you something different call them on it, stop the whining and move on....:rolleyes::rolleyes: