Upgrade offer on Nieuw Amsterdam

Rosieo

How long is your cruise?

You can check out all the perks of a Neptune Suite online. We did it 2 cruises ago and will never do it again. The Suites are larger and it was nice having the larger bathroom and balcony. The balcony especially as we were in the Caribbean. Most of the additional perks though you have to request and for us, did not amount to great value.

We just got back from the Western Caribbean on the NA and had a wonderful time. We had a VC suite this time and both DW and I agree that we had twice the fun with the VC suite at half the cost than that of the Neptune Suite.

It is a 7 day cruise to the Caribbean. It says SA-SC. I think if they can tell us it is the aft cabin we will take it otherwise I think we will pass. I'm on the phone on hold right now waiting to talk to them.

Are the afts wrap around balconies?

Edited by Rosieo

A little reading , here and on the HAL website, can tell you the additional benefits of a SA-SC over a VB. Seems perhaps a little pricey, but once you go Suite, you can never go back.

The time it takes to do a casual survey here, you may have lost that upsell offer.

It is a 7 day cruise to the Caribbean. It says SA-SC. I think if they can tell us it is the aft cabin we will take it otherwise I think we will pass. I'm on the phone on hold right now waiting to talk to them.

Are the afts wrap around balconies?

please let us know what happens!

Called and couldn't get ahold of them. Waited an hour on hold. Guess it wasn't meant to be. No worries, still will be a great time! We did have an aft suite once before on a different line, loved it.

Edited by Rosieo

You can check out all the perks of a Neptune Suite online. We did it 2 cruises ago and will never do it again. The Suites are larger and it was nice having the larger bathroom and balcony. The balcony especially as we were in the Caribbean. Most of the additional perks though you have to request and for us, did not amount to great value.

We just got back from the Western Caribbean on the NA and had a wonderful time. We had a VC suite this time and both DW and I agree that we had twice the fun with the VC suite at half the cost than that of the Neptune Suite.

Just wondering what Suite perks you had to "request". Neptune lounge access and concierge service for your every need are automatic and part of the suite package. Free laundry - just leave your laundry bag for your steward and there is no charge. No special arrangements needed and one of the best perks. Suite social events are by invitation. I'm just confused as to what you didn't get that comes with a Neptune Suite and had to request. Sorry you didn't enjoy it.

Just wondering what Suite perks you had to "request". Neptune lounge access and concierge service for your every need are automatic and part of the suite package. Free laundry - just leave your laundry bag for your steward and there is no charge. No special arrangements needed and one of the best perks. Suite social events are by invitation. I'm just confused as to what you didn't get that comes with a Neptune Suite and had to request. Sorry you didn't enjoy it.

Fancy afternoon tea and other room service specials?

I confess that I like knowing there's someone willing to go to bat for us if something goes wrong.

If it makes your feel any better, $449 is way too high for a 7 days cruise. I refused it this year on the Zuiderdam and the price dropped a week later to $199 which we accepted. Happy Holidays.

We leave in 2 days so I doubt it will drop more. I waited on hold for an hour yesterday and then hung up. Today they were closed so I am going to try to call tomorrow morning. Maybe they will drop the price. Doesn't hurt to ask and if not we will still love our cruise. I haven't had a bad cruise yet!!! I better start packing!

If it makes your feel any better, $449 is way too high for a 7 days cruise. I refused it this year on the Zuiderdam and the price dropped a week later to $199 which we accepted. Happy Holidays.

I don't think $449 is too much, as you'd be making a rather large jump from a VB to an SA/B or C.

And this is why the "is it worth it" question asked so often, about so many things, on Cruise Critic is so difficult to answer. It is a totally personal, subjective opinion. There is no right answer. Nor is there a wrong answer.

We had to request a clean suite. The suite was absolutely filthy with huge stains on the chairs and multiple stains on the bed skirt. After they cleaned it, they asked me to come and look at it and it still wasn't clean. They had to clean it again. Even after the second time I saw visible stains on the bed skirt, but let it go.

Laundry sent out for pressing was returned stained. That required a visit from the laundry supervisor who decided to challenge me that the clothes were sent stained. This made for a very uncomfortable exchange for my wife and I. This was brand new clothing that was sent to just have the wrinkles from packing removed.

We did not receive the corsages and boutonnieres for formal night. We addressed this with the folks at the Neptune Lounge and they were delivered the next day. An entire day too late.

We did not have the fresh bath salts. We did not receive any priority for embarkation and disembarkation at any time. We didn't receive any priority dining requests and the requested hors d' oeuvres could have just as easily been ordered from room service.

A requested birthday cake for a private celebration did not show. Clothing from previous cruisers was found in the suite.

As I stated, for us, very little value for the cost.

I just talked talked to HAL. Passed on the offer. The rooms they had available was 10006, the very front room. It had a steel balcony and I like the window balcony instead. The other room was right next to the glass elevator. To us it wasn't worth the upgrade.

I just talked talked to HAL. Passed on the offer. The rooms they had available was 10006, the very front room. It had a steel balcony and I like the window balcony instead. The other room was right next to the glass elevator. To us it wasn't worth the upgrade.

The suite next to the window elevator is worth the price IMO. We were in one of those in the past and I was worried about people staring at you on the balcony. After 5min out there, I never noticed it again. Also no noise from the elevators. I agree the front suite wouldn't appeal to me either.

CJ

We had to request a clean suite. The suite was absolutely filthy with huge stains on the chairs and multiple stains on the bed skirt. After they cleaned it, they asked me to come and look at it and it still wasn't clean. They had to clean it again. Even after the second time I saw visible stains on the bed skirt, but let it go.

Laundry sent out for pressing was returned stained. That required a visit from the laundry supervisor who decided to challenge me that the clothes were sent stained. This made for a very uncomfortable exchange for my wife and I. This was brand new clothing that was sent to just have the wrinkles from packing removed.

We did not receive the corsages and boutonnieres for formal night. We addressed this with the folks at the Neptune Lounge and they were delivered the next day. An entire day too late.

We did not have the fresh bath salts. We did not receive any priority for embarkation and disembarkation at any time. We didn't receive any priority dining requests and the requested hors d' oeuvres could have just as easily been ordered from room service.

A requested birthday cake for a private celebration did not show. Clothing from previous cruisers was found in the suite.

As I stated, for us, very little value for the cost.

We absolutely love the little extras that come with the Neptune Suites. We had no problems at all with any of the items you mentioned. I am sorry that this was the case for you. We did the delivered hors d'oeuvres on our cruise last year on the O. It became a little comical, as it was always Jalepeno Poppers. :) This year on the W, we just decided to forgo them all together as we were all right with the little canapee nibbles from the NL. Flowers for formal night came without any problem. We never put them on, but our steward kept putting them on ice water for us every single day until the end of the cruise, so we just enjoyed them as a little extra decoration.

The laundry/dry cleaning is a HUGE perk in my opinion and we never had an issue. We send a full bag every single day and it was always great. One time they even came looking for me, because one of the undershirts we sent had a small rip in it (by the hemline). The laundry manager wanted to make sure we were reimbursed if that happened on their watch. Nope - it had been there all along, and we knew about it. But talk about extra customer service. ;)

As to the OP - value is very subjective. We would pay that price, because you also have to keep in mind how much your original fare was.