Blowing nose at Dinner

Buck Turgidson

I guess it would depend on how it was done. A quiet, discreet blow (OK) or a loud, snorting one (:eek:) would be quite different.

This!

I see no problem with someone wiping or gently blowing. But if someone wants or needs to do a big honking or extended blow, excusing themselves from the restaurant and then washing their hands after would be the polite thing to do.

That said, I do believe that the OP's wife is particularly sensitive and if it bothers her that much, in-cabin dining might be a better option for them.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

Edited by ducklite

This!

I see no problem with someone wiping or gently blowing. But if someone wants or needs to do a big honking or extended blow, excusing themselves from the restaurant and then washing their hands after would be the polite thing to do.

That said, I do believe that the OP's wife is particularly sensitive and if it bothers her that much, in-cabin dining might be a better option for them.

Agreed, OPs wife should stay out of the main dining areas. Would hate for her 'sensitivities' to be set off by a perfectly normal body function. Not everyone can control when a sneeze is going to come on. I'd rather someone blow their nose at the table than be dripping all the way to the door.

Nose-blowing at the table should be limited to small puffs. If what is required is big, noisy nose-blowing, this should be conducted away from the table. It is distasteful to others to hear or see someone beleaguered by mucus deal with it at the table. :cool:

Agree! There a big difference in wiping and small quite puffs than there is in LOUD honking nose blowing.

LuLu

~~~~

While going through chemo I had no nose hair, it was the first to go. My nose always needed to be blown no matter what I was doing, especially while eating. There was no way I was going to get up and walk away each time it needed to be done. With my mobility issues getting up is not always an easy option to go away and do this (and I'm only 43 for reference, it's not because I'm old). Right now with my lung damage (again caused by the chemo) I have to cough often which leads to nose blowing as well, unless you want to hear me start gagging and choking... which I'm sure is even worse for those around me.

This!

I'm not sure if the person bothered by offensive behavior or the person behaving offensively should be the one to avoid sharing tables with others. Of course, there are degrees - a casual wipe should not bother anyone, while loud, or repeated, honking is clearly offensive. A little tolerance on one person's part, or simple courtesy on the other's, should make it a non-issue.

I'm not sure if the person bothered by offensive behavior or the person behaving offensively should be the one to avoid sharing tables with others. Of course, there are degrees - a casual wipe should not bother anyone, while loud, or repeated, honking is clearly offensive. A little tolerance on one person's part, or simple courtesy on the other's, should make it a non-issue.

Not sure why you quoted me when I said basically the same thing.

I have severe year-round allergies that not even medication can control at times. If we were to follow the OP's wife's logic, I'd be sitting in the restroom or hallway for the entire meal. No, I don't sound like a foghorn, but the need to wipe my nose is always present. But I wonder, what does the OP's wife do when she has a cold? I guess she doesn't eat for the duration????

Grow up, I said blow not wipe, your answer is childish

As a hay fever sufferer myself, I know how difficult it is to control an attack. And now, I have to avoid taking antihistamines as much as possible because of my glaucoma. Right now I'm terribly congested (the winds here have been gusting for several days now) and occasionally I do have to sneeze. I can't help it. And I imagine many others can't help it too. So I don't think kitty's answer is childish at all.

In fact, my teenaged daughter inherited my allergies. She's become very self-conscious when her allergies are heating up. In the past, I'll let teachers know about this, but kids still often snicker. So she's now in a hybrid program in which she can do a lot of her work at home instead of the classroom when she's feeling iffy.

Not everyone can get up every time they're about to sneeze as it may hit them suddenly. Hopefully most of us know how to blow our noses or sneeze as discretely as possible and to avoid spreading germs. Cover one's mouth when coughing. All that. But to refuse to eat after someone does sneeze or how to blow their nose...what about other unavoidable situations? What about if someone with Tourettes is nearby (my daughter has a good friend with that, and I think if someone makes a comment within earshot, she would definitely have something to say about tolerance).

As a hay fever sufferer myself' date=' I know how difficult it is to control an attack. And now, I have to avoid taking antihistamines as much as possible because of my glaucoma. Right now I'm terribly congested (the winds here have been gusting for several days now) and occasionally I do have to sneeze. I can't help it. And I imagine many others can't help it too. So I don't think kitty's answer is childish at all.

In fact, my teenaged daughter inherited my allergies. She's become very self-conscious when her allergies are heating up. In the past, I'll let teachers know about this, but kids still often snicker. So she's now in a hybrid program in which she can do a lot of her work at home instead of the classroom when she's feeling iffy.

Not everyone can get up every time they're about to sneeze as it may hit them suddenly. Hopefully most of us know how to blow our noses or sneeze as discretely as possible and to avoid spreading germs. Cover one's mouth when coughing. All that. But to refuse to eat after someone does sneeze or how to blow their nose...what about other unavoidable situations? What about if someone with Tourettes is nearby (my daughter has a good friend with that, and I think if someone makes a comment within earshot, she would definitely have something to say about tolerance).[/quote']

The subject was nose blowing. Not sneezing, not wiping, not tourettes.

Its just plain bad manners to blow your nose at the table!

And cruisin chick ,thats the dumbest thing I have ever heard! I have had Tourettes for 41 years and I never blow my nose at the table. AND Ihave tterrible allergies...lol...still dont blow at the table.

Edited by toxicfairy

When we eat in the MDR or buffet my wife cannot finish her meal when people blow their nose. Is my wife odd or does this bother anyone else?

Maybe a nose. I can't eat after seeing someone wearing oxygen tube. I completely loose my appetite. Now I am Caribbean and used to eating really spicy food which triggers the nose runs and watery eyes. It all depends on how its done but any scene of it could affect some people.

What happens when she has a cold, just avoid eating out?

Edited by Blk_Amish

Maybe a nose. I can't eat after seeing someone wearing oxygen tube. I completely loose my appetite. Now I am Caribbean and used to eating really spicy food which triggers the nose runs and watery eyes. It all depends on how its done but any scene of it could affect some people.

What happens when she has a cold, just avoid eating out?

Blk Amish, I am trying to understand why seeing someone with a oxy tube makes you loose your appetite? Both my parents had to use them to breathe in the later years of their lives and wouldn't have been able to participate in anything without them. I don't think you were judging them about it but I am wondering if something happened to make you have this reaction.

As far as blowing your nose, I don't care as long as you use a tissue, but either way it's not going to make me lose my appetite (might have been a good thing) but I will say my DH and Brother can outblow the Carnival ship horn sometimes. My brother has had allergies since we were kids and my DH, well, he just gets stuffed up a lot and he has a big nose...lol..I DO think when they have the "fog horn" blow they should get up and go outside, and they do.

I half agree with the OP. His wife is - well, not odd, but picky. To an extreme degree, actually - I can't imagine going hungry because someone nearby blew their nose, and I dare say many billions of the world's population would agree.

How long does this affect her? Can she get over it soon enough to order a room service dinner, or does she have to wait until breakfast? And what happens if someone blows their nose then, before she's got started? Danger of collapsing with exhaustion on the excursions, methinks.

Blk Amish, I am trying to understand why seeing someone with a oxy tube makes you loose your appetite? Both my parents had to use them to breathe in the later years of their lives and wouldn't have been able to participate in anything without them. I don't think you were judging them about it but I am wondering if something happened to make you have this reaction.

No, believe me I am not judging but as a child I stuck the see of this fruit called guniep (the size of a grape) up my nostrils. You are keen to what happened to me. Now, I get that short of breath feeling with anything up the nose. While we are at, I like to hang around buffets or in grocery stores. Seeing food in huge quantity is very comforting. If I am MIA, go look at a corner in the buffet for me and don't ever expect a quick trip to the grocery store. Yep, another story too:D

Pauline

Edited by Blk_Amish

Its just plain bad manners to blow your nose at the table!

And cruisin chick ,thats the dumbest thing I have ever heard! I have had Tourettes for 41 years and I never blow my nose at the table. AND Ihave tterrible allergies...lol...still dont blow at the table.

So an allergy sufferer who may have to blow one's nose (and some people can do it without making a lot of noise -- so again, puzzled about the hate here toward someone with sniffles) a few times during a meal has to run off to the restroom each time? Sorry, but if you have the proper hankerchief or facial tissue and can do so without sounding like the ship's horn, and you say "excuse me" to your tablemates, I think it's snarky and bad manners to make that person feel bad. We're not talking about someone picking their nose. Next some of you are going to insist that someone with a "belch" inside have to hold it in until they run out the dining room.

So an allergy sufferer who may have to blow one's nose (and some people can do it without making a lot of noise -- so again' date=' puzzled about the hate here toward someone with sniffles) a few times during a meal has to run off to the restroom each time? Sorry, but if you have the proper hankerchief or facial tissue and can do so without sounding like the ship's horn, and you say "excuse me" to your tablemates, I think it's snarky and bad manners to make that person feel bad. We're not talking about someone picking their nose. Next some of you are going to insist that someone with a "belch" inside have to hold it in until they run out the dining room.[/quote']

Wiping ones nose is one thing ,but out right blowing ,yes rude to do @ the table. Excuse yourself and walk away from the eating area to blow. I leave my kitchen if I need to do that at home.