Documentation Question

jackietex

We are going on a closed loop cruise very soon and my son, age 16, has an expired passport and a birth certificate. He doesn't have a driver's license or student or government identification card. Will he be allowed to board?

I'd call Royal on this one. Their web page says a child under 16 only needs a certified copy of the birth certificate, implying that 16 and over would need a picture ID also.

Here's the link:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=329&faqSubjectName=Cruise+Documents&faqId=249

How soon is "very soon"? An expired passport is useless except to get a new passport. A 'certified' birth certificate is almost as useless unless he has some way of proving who he is.

If it were me, I would look to walking through to get a new passport or going to the state DMV to get an 'official' state ID.

We are going on a closed loop cruise very soon and my son, age 16, has an expired passport and a birth certificate. He doesn't have a driver's license or student or government identification card. Will he be allowed to board?

Seriously:rolleyes:

I'm embarking on the 6th of January and RC told me that I needed a certified government issued BC to board. I had to call LA county and pay $50 to **fingers crossed** get it before my cruise. I say get on that sooner rather than later!

Most (if not all) states will issue a non-driver's ID card. Call your local DMV.

That and the CERTIFIED birth certificate will get him on the ship.

It is an easy process to get a photo ID (not a drivers lic) from your local DMV. Call first so you only have to make one trip...bring all of the paper docs you need with you the first trip. oh of course, a passport is the best ID but if you can't get one either because of distance, cost or time, the state ID will work WITH the birth cert.

A rep for Royal Caribbean told me we are supposed to have a valid government issued ID for our son, but that we should go to the pier and explain the situation and maybe he will be allowed on the ship. Prayer and positive thoughts that it works, please!

A rep for Royal Caribbean told me we are supposed to have a valid government issued ID for our son, but that we should go to the pier and explain the situation and maybe he will be allowed on the ship. Prayer and positive thoughts that it works, please!

I guess I don't understand why you would chance it when you can go to the DMV and get a state ID. Just doesn't seem rational.

OP's signature seems to indicate that their cruise leaves this month.

OP's info shows she is in TX. The TX license/ID site says they don't open again until the 27th. That's not giving them much time. In addition, looking around the site I see "It usually takes two to three weeks from the date of your transaction for a driver license or identification card to be mailed to you." It doesn't look like Texas gives the ID/DL immediately.

Now...I personally would get to one of the TX passport agencies that does last-minute passports. Get there 2 hours before opening time, have everything I need (making sure to see what methods of payments they take), and just GET that passport. Of course, that assumes they aren't catching a flight or something tomorrow (and that the ship doesn't sail tomorrow...though I know of someone who got a passport done same-day on the day her ship sailed from California).

You are really going to chance it to prayer and positive thoughts? You're okay with the fact that the rep said "MAYBE" he will be allowed on the ship? I'm even a big believer in prayer and I wouldn't chance it!

Is there a reason you can't get to the DMV and just get an ID?

What situation? He isn't going to be let on

This should have been taken care of months ago.

Why are you getting your son proper ID? You sail in 2 days.

Get to the proper passport office and get it done.

What if he is not allowed? Are you all going home?

Keep in mind that having proper ID is not a cruise line requirement but a Homeland Security and Customs requirement. THEY WON'T BEND THE RULES.

They don't care if you get on the ship or not.

I'd take the expired passport with me, since it's still a picture ID in addition to his birth certificate. Sometimes with someone who is 16 they're easier on requirements, some agents read the rule as under 16 (0 - 15) & others read it as 16 & under (so at 16 your still ok)

Does he have a learners permit? Even without a picture it might help. I'm surprised he doesn't have a school ID, all our kids have school id's even at elementary level. Other things to think about are library card, YMCA card, a bank account card - all of those have my picture on them & it's amazing what they'll consider a picture ID.

Thank you for all the suggestions. Texas doesn't give you an ID card immediately, it takes a week or two. Tomorrow my son and I are driving to Dallas, where we have an appointment at a regional passport agency. Hopefully my son will be able to get his passport in 24-48 hours.

Thank you for all the suggestions. Texas doesn't give you an ID card immediately, it takes a week or two. Tomorrow my son and I are driving to Dallas, where we have an appointment at a regional passport agency. Hopefully my son will be able to get his passport in 24-48 hours.

Good job!

Im glad your doing this - was a little worried for you. If your going to the passport office today - which is 12/27 (Friday) and your cruise leaves on 12/29 (Sunday) - you will have to get the passport on the sport. If not, please try to get some form of ID somewhere and take the certified BC - I too would take the expired passport - how expired is it?

How did it go at the passport office?

This needs to serve as a cautionary tale for other parents... They definitely need picture i.d. way before they're adults!! My son had a state-issued (TX) i.d. from the time he was 8 years old, because it just made traveling sooooo much easier. Then I got him a passport when he was I think 13. They get their learner's permits when they're 15 here in TX, and those do have their pictures on them. At 16 they have their permanent licenses, with a new picture. And like a pp said, definitely by high school they have picture id's at school.

OP, I hope it all works out for y'all....

I hope it went well!

I'd take the expired passport with me, since it's still a picture ID in addition to his birth certificate.

Does he have a learners permit? Even without a picture it might help. I'm surprised he doesn't have a school ID, all our kids have school id's even at elementary level. Other things to think about are library card, YMCA card, a bank account card - all of those have my picture on them & it's amazing what they'll consider a picture ID.

As the passport in this case is only being used to confirm identity, there's a chance it will be accepted as proof of ID even though it's expired. I certainly wouldn't count on that though.

As for school ID's, gym cards, library cards, etc..... they aren't official government-issued ID's so I wouldn't count on that working either.

Edited by waterbug123