rear balconies on Island/Coral?

AZJerry

Looking at the deck plans for the Island and Coral I see there are what appear to be (viewing?) balconies on the rear of Decks 8-11. There are doors shown so are they open to the public? They would appear to be good for going through the Panama Canal.

Looking at the deck plans for the Island and Coral I see there are what appear to be (viewing?) balconies on the rear of Decks 8-11. There are doors shown so are they open to the public? They would appear to be good for going through the Panama Canal.

Yes they are open both forward and aft. ;)

We had a Baja deck aft inside cabin & often used that great deck in Alaska. There were loungers & the area is half covered & was rarely crowded. The Caribe deck appeared to be slightly smaller & I could be wrong but think deck 8 & 9 were not for passenger use. I only used the Baja aft deck & here's a panoramic view.

photo-2.jpg.071c504bc20f076890523a4ecb712a84.jpg

Yes they are open both forward and aft. ;)

So both forward and aft are open on all 4 decks? I ask because the deck plans show doors at the aft of all 4 decks but no doors forward.

Edited by AZJerry

So both forward and aft are open on all 4 decks? I ask because the deck plans show doors at the aft of all 4 decks but no doors forward.

The forward decks that are open to the public are on Caribe and Baja.

The forward deck on Dolphin is Crew only, and Aloha is the Bridge.

Mark

The forward balconies are only available whenever the ship is not underway, other than the canal. Great viewing and I will definitely be there when we go through on the Coral on 1/3/2014

We just got off the Coral. Yes, the aft decks make for great viewing and are less crowded than the upper and forward decks. But it's good to move around - eye started on 15, went to Baja aft, then a little forward on Baja and promenade.

As for reserving a cabin near one of these, they are having a problem with the doors banging loudly on closing. We had B737 and fortunately this was an issue only during the day time. These rear cabins also tend to be noisy in anything above mild seas due to engine and stabilizer noise and vibration.

On our canal trip we were on deck 8 (Emerald) and it has a great aft deck. The best part was our cabin was near the stern and we could out there whenever we wanted and most of the time the deck was completely empty.

Even on canal day the aft decks tend to be much less crowded.

They are really great viewing decks.

This is what makes Coral and Island so great for Panama Canal and Alaska cruises. You have those forward balconies (note: you have to go through a door marked "no admittance" but they don't mean it - ask a crew member if you're concerned and they'll tell you to go ahead) and the aft balconies -- plus a full Promenade Deck -- as well as the usual top decks.

Going through the Canal that gives you many perspectives.