1A S-Class Balconies - Making the Room Gloomy?

mickeysgal

I know that the angled hump 1A balconies are very coveted on the S class. However, do they make the room dark and gloomy, sort of dim, tunnel-like,etc? I love a lot of light in the room and I'm the kind that doesn't even like the curtains drawn at night...love the moonlight, and looking out at the water. How dark are the rooms with these deep balconies?

We had a hump balcony on Eclipse (6236) and found that it did make a little difference. As the balcony is so long, the overhead is the same, and unless the sun is quite low, you will find a bit of shading near the balcony doors, and therefore inside the stateroom too.

Didn't make a huge difference, and we would have the same stateroom again, but you definitely doesn't get the same light as from a 'regular' balcony.

Hope this helps.

Lou

OP: We were in a C2 on the Eclipse on the angle of the hump, same configuration as the 1As you are asking about (just a deck higher). We loved the cabin, loved the huge balcony, and never felt any of the things you are asking about. In fact, we liked it so much, we've booked a cabin in the same location on our upcoming Silhouette TA.

I think the "tunnel" concern has been bandied about here on CC because of some photos of the large balconies taken with a very wide angle lens, which tends to distort the perspective. Here's a photo of our cabin, with no wide angle distortion, and also one of our balcony:

EclipseTA028_01.jpg

EclipseTA044_01.jpg

(photos by turtles06)

I found it dark on the balcony and in the room. I don't think I'd book one of those cabins again.

We had 1610 on the Solstice (deck 11).

I think the darkness had more to do with the huge overhang than it did the depth of the balcony, though, so maybe lower on the ship it wouldn't impact you as much.

Personally I find the 3x sized ones (first and third off the hump) make the room a little dark and I dislike the feel of the balcony as it's like sitting in a shipping container with the metal panels.

A good compromise is the 2x sized one (second and fourth off the hump) whilst giving a bigger balcony they don't have the same feeling of darkness/shipping container.

However I've decided that I don't like not having a view in one direction when looking out at the balcony rail so in future I won't be booking a 1a on the angle and will only be booking cabins on the hump itself in future :)

Hello

We are booked into the above cabin for 21st December cruise, can anyo e tell me if this is 1st /3rd off hump or 2nd/4th!

I am also concerned about lack of light in room and tunnel effect

Thanks

Debbie

9207 is 4th off the hump (2nd largest balcony).

I personally don't think the larger 1A balconies make the cabin too dark.

We had cabin 9237 on the Eclipse last year and loved it.

We had a C2 on the hump with the deepest balcony. It did not make the room dark and gloomy at all. The sun was low in the sky at the end of November and we found it overly sunny and actually closed the curtains slightly to keep the sun out of the room on the way out of Miami into the Caribbean on the Starboard side. Much more comfortable on the return trip.

We've been forward, aft, CC, AQ, SS, FV, you name it. We were happiest, however, in a 1B, midship, on the hump. Perfect location in our opinion, close to everything, so quick if you need to run back to your cabin for sunscreen or your book, great views forward and back--it really made us enjoy our cruise even more than usual!

CathyCruises or anyone else that have booked a 1B or regular sized balcony...how comfortable is a regular sized balcony? Is it perfectly fine? We're looking at a Venice/Med cruise with a port packed itinerary so I'm starting to wonder if I'd really need the deep balcony and the price that goes with it. My first criteria is to have a covered balcony as I don't like sitting for long periods of time in the direct sun plus in the event of rain, I can still use it. Is it overkill to need a deeper balcony for a port intensive cruise? I was looking at the deck 12 (covered) CC aft balcony, but the price is a bit steep at the moment for us.

CathyCruises or anyone else that have booked a 1B or regular sized balcony...how comfortable is a regular sized balcony? Is it perfectly fine? We're looking at a Venice/Med cruise with a port packed itinerary so I'm starting to wonder if I'd really need the deep balcony and the price that goes with it. My first criteria is to have a covered balcony as I don't like sitting for long periods of time in the direct sun plus in the event of rain, I can still use it. Is it overkill to need a deeper balcony for a port intensive cruise? I was looking at the deck 12 (covered) CC aft balcony, but the price is a bit steep at the moment for us.

We thought it was fine--you can only sit in one chair at a time! We really like to be out and about, prefer to read on deck in the lovely loungers in the shade by the pool, and use our balcony for fresh air and to enjoy a pre-dinner glass of wine while getting dressed. I know some people love to stay in their rooms/balconies while on board but for me I enjoy the people watching the most. I think on balance, having the great location far outweighed having a bigger balcony. FWIW we were on a 15 day TA. On a port intensive cruise I think it would be even less critical.

We love the S class hump balconies. Never felt they were dark or gloomy. There are people who feel different; we however love the larger balcony.

Now if given the choice I'd take any of the 3 center deck 11 cabins on an M class over the mid ship hump S class.

I think the lightness v darkness of the cabin can depend on location and time of year, we often cruise the med in Oct/Nov I'm sure there's more sunlight in the summer months or in the Caribbean :)

You're absolutely spot on Debbie. If the sun is low, I don't think you'd notice very much difference. However, in the summer months, or when the sun is high in the sky longer, we found it did make a difference. Of course it does also depend on which side of the ship you are located!

Lou

We've never thought it made the room too dark, but we've been in cabins even further back (C1 on M class) and it hasn't bothered us. If having a little extended ceiling on your balcony might bother you then take a pass and book a regular sized veranda. It makes no sense to book a cabin you have a concern about.

We just booked cabin 8256 on the aft starboard side of the hump on Solstice for our New Zealand/Australia cruise. I am pleased to see pictures and good reviews of this cabin and 1A larger balconies. I purposely booked a starboard side cabin b/c of CC recommendations for NZ fiords and Sydney Opera House viewing when ship docks. However, the only 1A starboard side cabins still available are aft of the hump. Will I be able to see any view other than what is in front of us or what we have passed? My TA discouraged 2A hump cabins because of connecting doors/rooms and thinner walls. This is our first Celebrity cruise, so I appreciate any suggestions, especially from anyone who has sailed to NZ or stayed in hump cabin. Should I change to a hump cabin???:confused:

We just booked cabin 8256 on the aft starboard side of the hump on Solstice for our New Zealand/Australia cruise. I am pleased to see pictures and good reviews of this cabin and 1A larger balconies. I purposely booked a starboard side cabin b/c of CC recommendations for NZ fiords and Sydney Opera House viewing when ship docks. However, the only 1A starboard side cabins still available are aft of the hump. Will I be able to see any view other than what is in front of us or what we have passed? My TA discouraged 2A hump cabins because of connecting doors/rooms and thinner walls. This is our first Celebrity cruise, so I appreciate any suggestions, especially from anyone who has sailed to NZ or stayed in hump cabin. Should I change to a hump cabin???:confused:

You need a new TA. First of all, the walls are not any thinner anywhere!! The cabins are all prefabbed and dropped in, so that is a total fallacy. Secondly, the cabins connect OUTSIDE in the hallway (there is a separate vestibule that can be opened in the case of connecting rooms) so there is zero effect on the cabins themselves. If you are aft of the hump, your view forward will be affected, just as you suspect. . .

Edited by CathyCruises

We did NZ in 2008, but were on Mercury.

I remember having room service for breakfast, so we didn't miss any sights in the Fjords.

The ship turned, so both port & starboard had the same views.

Also, it depends whether the ship docks forward facing, or backs into a dock, as to which side will have the best view of the Opera house in Sydney.

We did get the view and I remember being totally blown away by it, we were 9149, which would have been port.