Prescriptions and OTC's

I will be on that cruise with you !!! :D..............you don't need the bottles...a pill box is fine.

I agree. I've never had a problem. The only problem I have heard of is a large bottle of pills and the name on the bottle didn't match the passenger. I always keep them in my carry on going and check the on the way home (nothing I can't go a day or two without) and have had no problems.

I agree. I've never had a problem. The only problem I have heard of is a large bottle of pills and the name on the bottle didn't match the passenger. I always keep them in my carry on going and check the on the way home (nothing I can't go a day or two without) and have had no problems.

Exactly! bottle with YOUR name + pills = have a nice flight

Edited by bchalker

Its a fact. if you have a prescription bottle and pills in it you will be fine. You think TSA is taking out the pills and trying to identify them? sheesh:rolleyes:

so instead of the drug mules stuffing the drugs where the sun doesn't shine they should just get large prescription bottles? bet they never thought of that.

don't forget the folks at TSA are the folks that couldn't get a job at McD's

Given the state of the economy and employment in this country, you might be surprised at the quality of individuals sporting TSA attire. I'm guessing it's probably a thankless job thanks to people like you. Just sayin'

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

so instead of the drug mules stuffing the drugs where the sun doesn't shine they should just get large prescription bottles? bet they never thought of that.

No Sh*t Sherlock. Just to start pointing out your lack of knowledge. TSA has nothing to do with drugs. They are security. They have NO law enforcement powers. Notice no gun? There are CUSTOMS agents for that. So keep talking about which you know nothing. Yeah sure the TSA agents are pharmacy experts. double sheesh:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Edited by bchalker

They have agents that specialize in pill identification. Not having your pills in the correct container only gives them a reason to delay you and bust your chops if they want. By law they are required to be in a prescription container. So why give them any ammunition to bust your horns?

They have agents that specialize in pill identification. Not having your pills in the correct container only gives them a reason to delay you and bust your chops if they want. By law they are required to be in a prescription container. So why give them any ammunition to bust your horns?

Yes DEA agents can do that. TSA agents do not. As long as there is nothing in your pill bottle to help you hijack a plane you will be fine. TSA couldnt care less about your prescription.

Yes DEA agents can do that. TSA agents do not. As long as there is nothing in your pill bottle to help you hijack a plane you will be fine. TSA couldnt care less about your prescription.

Correct, but they can detain you and notify the DEA and/or the local police in order to identify unlabeled pills. Who needs any potential aggravation while on vacation. And it is a violation of law which could mean fines an stuff of that nature. It all depends on how far someone wants to push the issue.

Edited by Zigggypup

Correct, but they can detain you and notify the DEA and/or the local police in order to identify unlabeled pills. Who needs any potential aggravation while on vacation. And it is a violation of law which could mean fines an stuff of that nature. It all depends on how far someone wants to push the issue.

Best bet as I said before is in a bottle with your name on it. They will NOT even question you. If they are in the generic mon-sun dispenser they wont question you. TSA is there for the safety of the plane. You are correct the best bet is to have them in your prescription bottle. 0% chance of any problem.

I can't quite figure out if you are unknowing, or if you just like to be argumentative. You have, even if you don't know it, given the RCI permission to search your stateroom (read paragraph 8e of RCI's Cruise Ticket Contract). And if you don't realize that CBP has the right to look through your stuff then you shouldn't be traveling. Drugs are certainly near the top of the list of things CBP and RCI are concerned about, and abuse of prescription drugs is a major and growing concern.

I have travelled enough and been on plenty of cruise to know that the cruise lines do not care about your meds.

Just because they "can" search your room does not mean they do it for fun.

There is nothing wrong with having a bottle full of pills if it is all legit.

I always load one bottle up with misc meds every cruise.(vitamins, aminos, tylenol, ect.) I don't have any prescriptions.

Nobody ever messes with it, or even sees it...

I have travelled enough and been on plenty of cruise to know that the cruise lines do not care about your meds.

Just because they "can" search your room does not mean they do it for fun.

There is nothing wrong with having a bottle full of pills if it is all legit.

I always load one bottle up with misc meds every cruise.(vitamins, aminos, tylenol, ect.) I don't have any prescriptions.

Nobody ever messes with it, or even sees it...

Matt that is exactly right. And the TSA doesnt care either.

By law in the US any prescription medication must be in a labeled prescription container. It doesn't matter if you're driving your car, flying cruising etc. That being said, if you can prove what the medication is and that it is prescribed to you, I don't think anyone is going to hassle you. They have narcotic dogs that can sniff out narcotics vs regular medication, so your name on a bottle does not mean you can carry a non-prescribed narcotic in a different container. That will certainly get you in trouble if they find it. It however is a good idea to at lease have the names of the medication you are taking with the pills or on your person in case of emergency the health staff will know what you take.

Traveling on FOS Western Caribbean - wondering - do prescriptions have to be in original bottles? What about OTC meds (ibuprofen, Coldcalm, Sudafed, Benadryl, etc.) I have of those great pill boxes for the week and was going to put my vitamins and prescription meds in, but then I wondered if I need to have the actual prescription bottle with me. Anyone know the rules??

I also print out what the pill boxes have in them - dosage, etc. and scotch tape it to the bottom of the pill box. Works great and I've never been questioned. Have a wonderful cruise!

By law in the US any prescription medication must be in a labeled prescription container.

I've not heard this before. Do you have a reference that you can share for this?

With such a law, I wonder why they'd sell the various pill organizers in drug stores to help people arrange their pills throughout the course of a day or week.

I am a pharmacist and I guess it may be state to state, but I thought it was covered under one of the federal laws. Either the Pure Food and Drug Act of 1906 or the updated food drug and cosmetic act. Although those may just deal with dispensing.

I advise anyone at the pharmacy that asks for the containers of this and the benefits of having the labeled containers with you. Also, if they are used in your private home they are very useful for helping with compliance. I still advise people to keep the original vials on hand.

There are many things on the market that have intended or unintended uses that violate laws.

Sent from my XT897 using Forums mobile app

Edited by joekatie

That does not mean anything.

It is just some random persons blog.

Someone who would let the police come inside their house and search it just because they asked.

Like many others, I am a little "less conforming"

and are not going to change my routine just because it is "suggested".

I will take my chances with the petty agencies..

Have never had a problem with pills and meds of any kind with the cruise line, but we do carry the original prescription bottles if we are flying. I know someone here will say it doesn't matter, but it makes us feel better and helps avoid any potential problems.

As I always have to fly :( to the cruise -- all my prescriptions are in their original containers / packs and all OTC (including Claritin) are in their original containers / packs. I'd rather pack them that way than lose them!

As Claritin/Benadryl/or other antihistamine or decongestant can be or is sold in blister packs -- I only pack the number of blister packs required for the cruise and a couple "in case" of delays getting home.

Edited by jaspercat

when traveling to a foreign country I always leave medication in original packaging with prescription labels attached. Some countries have restrictions different to your home country and I would rather be safe than sorry (or waste hours being interviewed by a customs agent)

That does not mean anything.

It is just some random persons blog.

It did contain a reference to New York state law, though, and I corroborated that information on this page.

I did some searching and couldn't find a similar law for Pennsylvania. Our laws appear to be concerned with the original dispensing of the medication by the pharmacist, and there doesn't appear to be as much of a concern of the medication's container after being dispensed.

Edited by Daghis

From the CBP:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/67

Prescription medications should be in their original containers with the doctor's prescription printed on the container. It is advised that you travel with no more than personal use quantities, a rule of thumb is no more than a 90 day supply. If your medications or devices are not in their original containers, you must have a copy of your prescription with you or a letter from your doctor. A valid prescription or doctors note is required on all medication entering the U.S.

The FDA importation page really deals with importing drugs not approved in the US:

http://www.fda.gov/ForIndustry/ImportProgram/ucm173743.htm

The CDC has a very nice Pack Smart site:

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/page/pack-smart

The CDC in particular points out checking with the embassy of the countries you're visiting through a U.S. State Department link to ensure your drugs can be imported into a foreign country.

Oddly, the DEA is silent on requirements for carrying scheduled controlled drugs into the U.S., but generally discusses labeling and marking requirements for scheduled drugs.

In general, it appears you can carry prescription drugs outside their original container if you carry the prescription and/or a letter from the prescribing physician on letterhead. Clearly that becomes more complicated in an era of electronic prescriptions where you may not have a written prescription. I personally would keep any scheduled drugs in their original container, but that's just me...

Obviously, state law may be more restrictive, as in the example previously posted for New York. And, if you are in fact a licensed health care provider of some fashion or a pharmacist, your burden is probably greater under your licensing board!