But We Were Marked "Do Not Upgrade"

MsSoCalCruiser

I don't understand how Princess can do this so often. I understand the maximizing occupancy issues, but if I book a cabin that is a specific place I am booking for my own specific reasons. If I didn't want a specific cabin, I would book a guarantee. If I want to gamble with my cabin I could leave it in the 'upgrade' lottery. If I don't want to gamble.....it is marked Do NOT Upgrade. It's really simple.............however it appears to have gone the way of Seinfeld's sketch with car reservations. "They take the reservation, but they don't hold the reservation......." With a cabin the contract is secured with money. I don't care what they say---when there is not a mechanical or safety reason for a changed cabin, then it shouldn't happen when marked Do NOT Upgrade! :confused:

I posted this on another thread, person who had a similar issue:

"I am set to sail on the Royal in less than a week. I am booked in a cabin with my sister, my parents in the balcony across the hall. When we booked, we requested no-upgrade. Although I am 23 and my sister 21, my parents obviously want us nearby, not just for safety but so we can enjoy the cruise TOGETHER.

We've done this type of cabin arrangement for 3 straight cruises now with no issues. 2 weeks ago we get an email from Princess that we both got upgraded, but could cancel the upgrade within 24 hours. We immediately called and were told BY PRINCESS that we would be moved back. We never asked for upgrades, and were perplexed when they still did it. We figured everything was solved.

Now TODAY, 6 days before we sail, I get an email and we were never moved. My sister and I are all the way on Dolphin forward, my parents Caribe aft. Princess is making a huge fuss that they can't and won't move us back. Yes, I am sure they legally can do this or whatever. But they just ruined this entire trip for us. We've never had issues like this, I just don't understand why they can't move us back. I hate pulling the "Platinum/Elite" card but this isn't a way to treat loyal customers."

I'm glad to see we aren't alone here, but I am pissed that this is happening to people. I don't care if it is in the contract; it's just WRONG.

I would like to add my voice as one who does not want a cabin reassignment after notifying Princess of Do Not Upgrade.

When we cruise it is always with family. Some have children, some have physical limitations. It takes quite a family meeting to select the cabins which fit all our collective requirements.

I would like Princess to understand that when we advise them that we would refuse an upgrade (which is supposed to be a good thing) it is for a good reason. I understand that the contract allows Princess make these changes and more. However it is not right to the customer to have to start off their vacation by wrestling with Princess.

I don't understand how Princess can do this so often. I understand the maximizing occupancy issues, but if I book a cabin that is a specific place I am booking for my own specific reasons. If I didn't want a specific cabin, I would book a guarantee. If I want to gamble with my cabin I could leave it in the 'upgrade' lottery. If I don't want to gamble.....it is marked Do NOT Upgrade. It's really simple.............however it appears to have gone the way of Seinfeld's sketch with car reservations. "They take the reservation, but they don't hold the reservation......." With a cabin the contract is secured with money. I don't care what they say---when there is not a mechanical or safety reason for a changed cabin, then it shouldn't happen when marked Do NOT Upgrade! :confused:

Good analogy.

Linda, I'm sorry to hear this happened to you. I know you want to be by your friends. The beat goes on with you and Princess..... I hope this is the last challenging experience you have with them.:):)

What upgrade did you get?

Edited by MichelleinOC

And it is clear that the fact that you carefully select a cabin means nothing to the Princess upgrade computer.

I certainly agree this "should" not happen, and the software should do everything possible to prevent it. Sorry to quibble about your logic, but it most certainly is not clear that cabin selection (and selecting DNU) means nothing at all. However, given how often it seems to occur does suggest that maintaining DNU designations is not being given sufficient weight.

This seems to be getting out of hand.

It is...and I have already posted our sad story here on CC. We had a selected stateroom, booked 9 months in advance. We did not know that we had to even mark 'no upgrade' as we selected and paid a hefty price for 'our choice'. We never asked to be put on an upgrade list, either. We have asked in the past (16 cruises with PCL and HAL) to be placed on an 'upsell' list.

Well, Princess pulled a fast one and our stateroom was not upgraded until the very last minute...our original paper work showed our chosen stateroom as we waited in line for processing and embarkation. It was only when finishing the registering and such that we found a new stateroom number assignment and I thought it surely had to be a mistake!

I got it managed, but it was a BIG PAIN and lots of stress and it was only by a stroke of 'amazing luck', that we were able to 'repossess' our stateroom!

Up until that time, I had been impressed with Princess, but it seems that their management will do what suits them and don't give a flyin' flip about their customer or their needs!

Edited by Arwen

OK - I have an interesting question. I've booked a deluxe mini-suite on the Royal (the four forward corner mini-suites and a couple of the middle forward mini-suites are considered "deluxe"). I booked it when it was "regular" mini-suite (an "MF" I think). After I booked, Princess changed the category of the mini-suite and increased the price substantially (I didn't pay the newly-increased price). Anyway, I marked as "no upgrade" and have it in writing. In the event Princess attempts to upgrade me, wouldn't it have to upgrade me to a full suite as I'm now in the highest category min-suite? Thanks for any thoughts!

Your experience is just one of many reasons to never book directly with the cruise line. I have had similar experiences, but I have a TA to intervene on my behalf, and he has always done so. Wait until you have a problem with charges to your on board account and you are left to deal with the cruise line on your own.

It's much easier to deal directly with the cruise line. If you leave it to someone else it may or may not get done. Princess won't talk to you if you don't keep control of your booking. TA's are not available after 5 pm or on week ends when many issues arise. I like calling Princess directly and have always been able to accomplish what i want.

My TA is available after 5 and on weekends, at least during the hours Princess itself is open. It's not like Princess answers their phones for anyone after midnight.

"Control of your booking" means absolutely nothing to Princess. What Princess understands is TAs who book lots of cabins and so have clout with their district sales managers. I'm not saying that they can achieve the impossible, but they stand a better chance than you and that little single booking you're so proud to control.

Linda, I'm sorry to hear this happened to you. I know you want to be by your friends. The beat goes on with you and Princess..... I hope this is the last challenging experience you have with them.:):)

What upgrade did you get?

Michelle, this made me laugh. It's just my luck, right?

There are 3 of us in an inside room. We choose a room by the Terrace Pool door. My friends mom and aunt were in the room next to ours. Our upgrade was to another inside cabin (C333) on Caribe deck.

I called this morning and I was able to get our original cabin back. The Princess employee that I booked with had no idea that we had been moved until she heard my voicemail. I told her we would love an upgrade to a balcony as long as we were next door to each other. She laughed so I guess that will never happen! ;):)

Linda, so sorry this happened. What a bummer! This happened to me years ago but my TA was able to get my cabin back. It seems to me that reports of "DNU" are mostly with people who booked directly. Something to consider.

Thank you Pam. It was my one and only upgrade too.

Almost every other cruise has been booked with a TA and this had never happened before. But it makes me wonder, since it was my one and only upgrade, does Princess (and other lines) give most of the upgrades to people that book direct?

I posted this on another thread, person who had a similar issue:

"I am set to sail on the Royal in less than a week. I am booked in a cabin with my sister, my parents in the balcony across the hall. When we booked, we requested no-upgrade. Although I am 23 and my sister 21, my parents obviously want us nearby, not just for safety but so we can enjoy the cruise TOGETHER.

We've done this type of cabin arrangement for 3 straight cruises now with no issues. 2 weeks ago we get an email from Princess that we both got upgraded, but could cancel the upgrade within 24 hours. We immediately called and were told BY PRINCESS that we would be moved back. We never asked for upgrades, and were perplexed when they still did it. We figured everything was solved.

Now TODAY, 6 days before we sail, I get an email and we were never moved. My sister and I are all the way on Dolphin forward, my parents Caribe aft. Princess is making a huge fuss that they can't and won't move us back. Yes, I am sure they legally can do this or whatever. But they just ruined this entire trip for us. We've never had issues like this, I just don't understand why they can't move us back. I hate pulling the "Platinum/Elite" card but this isn't a way to treat loyal customers."

I'm glad to see we aren't alone here, but I am pissed that this is happening to people. I don't care if it is in the contract; it's just WRONG.

We are a few years older than 21 (:p) and we were upset about our move. If I was moved away from my daughter then we would really go round and round.

I don't get it. If someone books more than one cabin then why don't the cruiselines just leave them in the location that they booked? At least call and ask before moving someone away from the rest of their party.

Almost every other cruise has been booked with a TA and this had never happened before. But it makes me wonder, since it was my one and only upgrade, does Princess (and other lines) give most of the upgrades to people that book direct?
No. It's all based on supply and demand. More demand for a particular category with few cabins available, the greater the chance of being upgraded.

Personally, I think your chances of an upgrade are higher if you book one of the lowest categories of a particular type. The highest category of inside, oceanview, balcony, etc., the less chance of being upgraded. Annie is probably correct that using a TA, particularly one experienced with Princess and a high booker, is to your advantage. They can go much further up the chain to district managers, if necessary, and Princess doesn't want to piss them off. They have much more clout than you do. :)

Edited by Pam in CA

No. It's all based on supply and demand. More demand for a particular category with few cabins available, the greater the chance of being upgraded.

Personally, I think your chances of an upgrade are higher if you book one of the lowest categories of a particular type. The highest category of inside, oceanview, balcony, etc., the less chance of being upgraded. Annie is probably correct that using a TA, particularly one experienced with Princess and a high booker, is to your advantage. They can go much further up the chain to district managers, if necessary, and Princess doesn't want to piss them off. They have much more clout than you do. :)

This is really giving me food for thought Pam. I've always booked direct after my first cruise, since my TA did nothing to help us at all after we booked and paid in full our honeymoon cruise and everything went wrong.

How can you tell if a TA does a lot of business with a cruiseline? I've seen dozens of TAs in my area that advertise cruises extensively, but I wouldn't know the difference from one to another.

It's much easier to deal directly with the cruise line. If you leave it to someone else it may or may not get done. Princess won't talk to you if you don't keep control of your booking. TA's are not available after 5 pm or on week ends when many issues arise. I like calling Princess directly and have always been able to accomplish what i want.

Apparently you don't understand "clout". You simply don't have any! A travel agent usually has a lot! Mine does which enables him to get things done.

I have been told to book early so that I can get the cabin location that I want. Since this seems not to be the case, why not wait for a bargain.

its a catch 22, if you wait you could get a bargain but if you're not fussed where you sleep you should be ok but if the cruise is selling well you could pay top dollar

Yield Management? Really? This is a very poor excuse to justify what is just very poor customer service practice. Imagine purchasing a blue suit and after it is altered you return to the store the salesman gives you a grey suit stating we had to give you the grey suit to improve our yields. Businesses have to offer customers product and then deliver on that product to stay in business. The legal passage contract is there to protect from legal action, but it must not be used as a cover for what is just very poor customer service.

Yield Management? Really? This is a very poor excuse to justify what is just very poor customer service practice. Imagine purchasing a blue suit and after it is altered you return to the store the salesman gives you a grey suit stating we had to give you the grey suit to improve our yields. Businesses have to offer customers product and then deliver on that product to stay in business. The legal passage contract is there to protect from legal action, but it must not be used as a cover for what is just very poor customer service.

Great analogy! I hope Princess is listening.

Well, it's only am accurate analogy if your tailor had to sell over 20,000 suits each week to stay in business. If it turned out that most people wanted gray suits, they might not buy as much blue because there isn't as much of a demand.

A cruise ship cabin isn't a "custom" product that's been altered to your specifications, and without using yield management to keep their ships full, a cruise line would soon be out of business.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

OP, glad you got your cabin back.

We have always booked our cabins do not upgrade as we choose them very specifically and often travel with friends who get the cabin beside us. So far, I've never had the cabin taken away from me. :eek:

I imagine there is a significant portion of cruisers who truly don't care that much about their cabin selection. Many of my co-workers who take cruises don't even remember the deck they are on, much less the specific cabin, and they might not even notice if it got changed. I'm sure Princess' seeming disregard for preferences is hinged upon a lack of complaints. We on CC are often the vocal minority for these types of issues.

We also got our two cabins back today!

I wrote on the Princess facebook page and within hours they not only responded, but I received a phone call stating that our original cabins are ours again!

So glad this was all resolved. We LOVE Princess and would not want to have an excuse to not sail with them. Hopefully everyone else has a successful outcome!