Flooding on Ruby Princess

PierDid

ImageUploadedByForums1388409541.908015.jpg.f2f923b48044b3a613ff573fc5ce9c39.jpg

We were getting ready to wrap up a 4 day cruise on the Ruby Princess, when last night around 9:45 we heard a loud bang and then noises in the ceiling.

Freaking thing happened: a water pipe burst.

We were on 10 and had flooding in the hallway and one room. 11 had water running all down the walls and from the ceiling like a shower head. People were evacuated from their rooms.

We were told to stay off our balcony as the water would be pushed off the balcony above and they worked to clear 10 with towels and a dry vac.

Janine and Ivan were helpful with sharing information. However, there were two members of the crew that irked us with "it is not that bad" comments. Considering we have never seen something like this before, all the damage to the ship and perhaps to people's belongings, and the anxious guests, I could not have disagreed more with that comment.

We heard noises all night from the repair crew cleaning up the mess so it made for a lousy night's sleep. Coming out this morning we saw furniture and mattress on the balcony across 11. Princess was replacing carpet in the cabins this morning to avoid impacting the next 5 day sailing. It was just amazing how they worked so fast to clean this up.

I don't know what happened to the passengers displaced last night. I hope everyone is ok.

PierDid.

ImageUploadedByForums1388408489.702555.jpg.3956598e41c232d0481fe8766fa1d77b.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1388408505.130670.jpg.66ecb1d8fcd99dab3470327e7c4a2c42.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1388408524.472072.jpg.3c261867129bffbcd3ad4f5e39ead48b.jpg

We had a pipe break over our cabin and we discovered the breakage about 5:00PM.They took all of our clothing to the laundry,disassembled the cabin down to the hull,and we were back in the cabin the next morning by 10:00AM.The cabin had new beds,carpet,couch and 2 new TV's.Princess did a great job.

[ATTACH]296756[/ATTACH][ATTACH]296757[/ATTACH][ATTACH]296758[/ATTACH][ATTACH]296760[/ATTACH]

We were getting ready to wrap up a 4 day cruise on the Ruby Princess, when last night around 9:45 we heard a loud bang and then noises in the ceiling.

We were on 10 and had flooding in the hallway and one room. 11 had water running all down the walls and from the ceiling like a shower head. People were evacuated from their rooms.

We were told to stay off our balcony as the water would be pushed off the balcony above and they worked to clear 10 with towels and a dry vac.

Janine and Ivan were helpful with sharing information. However, there were two members of the crew that irked us with "it is not that bad" comments. Considering we have never seen something like this before, all the damage to the ship and perhaps to people's belongings, and the anxious guests, I could not have disagreed more with that comment.

We heard noises all night from the repair crew cleaning up the mess so it made for a lousy night's sleep. Coming out this morning we saw furniture and mattress on the balcony across 11. Princess was replacing carpet in the cabins this morning to avoid impacting the next 5 day sailing. It was just amazing how they worked so fast to clean this up.

I don't know what happened to the passengers displaced last night. I hope everyone is ok.

PierDid.

What cabin are you in? What part of the ship?

What I would worry about is my electronics and photo equipment. Clothes are cheap and replaceable. Electronics and photo equipment much much more expensive and harder to replace. Even if they gave me a new computer, what about the programs and the Don specific files on it? How many people on CC routinely completely backup their computers?

Maybe we should all add dry bags to the list of stuff to bring. Much more useful than most of the junk on the "must have" lists.

DON

Just off the Caribbean Princess and on Aloha Deck around the A434 area, a number of cabins were flooded plus the passageway. They had to replace carpet in four or five or them and the hallway carpet, too. An women we met at the pre-cruise hotel said she was affected and had been put in three different cabins until it got corrected.

Fortunately it was clear water, not sewage.

What I would worry about is my electronics and photo equipment. Clothes are cheap and replaceable. Electronics and photo equipment much much more expensive and harder to replace. Even if they gave me a new computer, what about the programs and the Don specific files on it? How many people on CC routinely completely backup their computers?

Maybe we should all add dry bags to the list of stuff to bring. Much more useful than most of the junk on the "must have" lists.

DON

I do, automatically when at home. If I lost my laptop, I'd probably be able to get back most of my data even on the road from the cloud. However, I'm fairly lost without my laptop, so I would not be very pleasant company.

We were in Caribe (10) 254. The cabins right above on 11, the cabin 256 and the hallways were flooded on 10. 11 had a lot of cabins impacted - same area as 10.

To save everyone rushing to the website, this seems port side, immediately adjacent to the forward stairs/elevator lobby.

[ATTACH]296756[/ATTACH][ATTACH]296757[/ATTACH][ATTACH]296758[/ATTACH][ATTACH]296760[/ATTACH]...........SNIP........................................

PierDid.

In the grand scheme of things, :It's not that bad." If the ship were sinking, then it would be bad. Inconvenience? Yes. Dangerous? No.

I find this topic very interesting because we were on the Ruby in October 2012 TA from Venice to FLL. We also had the same thing happen on our deck, but not our cabin. I heard that it flooded several cabins in the aft portion of the port side. I wonder how many other times this has happened on the Ruby in recent years?

Roger

I do, automatically when at home. If I lost my laptop, I'd probably be able to get back most of my data even on the road from the cloud. However, I'm fairly lost without my laptop, so I would not be very pleasant company.

When I travel, I copy my picture files on a daily basis to my tablet. After I do a quick check to get rid of the reall bad pictures, I then copy the files from the tablet to two flash drives. When we fly home, the tablet goes in my backpack, one flash drive also goes in the backpack, and the 2nd goes into my wife's carry on.

I may be being paranoid but sometimes the Gods of technology are really out to get you. Would you believe that I just had to replace my netbook computer because my Bios failed. I can not imagine how a Bios fails. The hard drive was OK and I lost no data but I had to replace the compjuter.

DON

I find this topic very interesting because we were on the Ruby in October 2012 TA from Venice to FLL. We also had the same thing happen on our deck, but not our cabin. I heard that it flooded several cabins in the aft portion of the port side. I wonder how many other times this has happened on the Ruby in recent years?

Roger

We were also on that cruise. We had water in our cabin,but the crew were very good and worked hard to get everything put back together.

It was a noisy night,but we just accepted that these things can happen.

Linda

When I travel, I copy my picture files on a daily basis to my tablet. After I do a quick check to get rid of the reall bad pictures, I then copy the files from the tablet to two flash drives. When we fly home, the tablet goes in my backpack, one flash drive also goes in the backpack, and the 2nd goes into my wife's carry on.

I may be being paranoid

Nope, not being paranoid, just prudent.

I also copy all pictures daily (to my netbook), label them, and then back the labeled pictures to an SD card. So I have three copies: On the camera SD card, on the netbook, and on a backup SD card.

[ATTACH]296756[/ATTACH][ATTACH]296757[/ATTACH][ATTACH]296758[/ATTACH][ATTACH]296760[/ATTACH]

PierDid.

What a way to end a cruise.

We were on the Ruby. They made an announcement while we were in the dining room. It sounded like "Code 2" to us, but I'm not sure. Our cabin was on the port side on Emerald Deck. Fortunately the water did not reach our deck. I saw the crew in the stairwell when I was coming down them from MUTS. That's when I figured out it must be some sort of plumbing problem.

We were also on that cruise. We had water in our cabin,but the crew were very good and worked hard to get everything put back together.

It was a noisy night,but we just accepted that these things can happen.

Linda

I heard that some of the people with mini suites ended up in interior cabins. We are back on the Ruby next September for the TA.

Roger, N7BU