Independence - bits 'n' pieces - Dec 29 2013 - Jan 12 2014

Merion_Mom

The tour dropped us off at FLL first. Next stop was back to the ship (sometimes B2B'ers go on these excursions on turnaround day) then to MIA.

The timing worked well for me; not so much for some of my fellow travelers.

They won't let you check in unless you are within 3 hours of your flight. We got there at 12:19. The airport rep checked her watch carefully before allowing me in. :rolleyes:

All I can say is: Before December, I had never had a problem at FLL. (Southwest terminal) December 14, 2013, after a cruise on the Oasis, FLL was a HUGE mess at security, with the line all the way back along the corridor away from the security area, back to the rental car counters, and looping back around itself THREE TIMES.

Today, the line only went back along the corridor about halfway along the moving sidewalk, with corrals set up (Disney style) to keep the procession toward the "real" security check area neat and orderly.

This all worked well until the agent directing the flow was joined by a buddy. Thereafter they were too busy chatting to pay attention to their jobs and the process quickly deteriorated, with people just coming down the escalators walking right up and into the security line, bypassing everyone waiting "patiently" as directed.

Some poor woman FAINTED in the line!

Then the airconditioning was not keeping up with the heat inside the terminal, and it was overly warm.

Let me tell you, Philadelphia is NOT a nice airport. It has many failings. But at least we have lots of restrooms and waterfountains, all the way along the concourse.

Not Southwest at FLL. One restroom, one water fountain, at one end. Long lines, running out of toilet paper...............YUCK.

At least the flight boarded and left on time, and I even got a good seat.

(despite my crappy B49. How did I get such a lousy number? Because as I was hitting "submit" on SW's check-in page on the Independence's computer, it turned itself off. OFF. By the time it rebooted itself and I got back to the webpage and filled in my information again, B49 is what I got. :eek:)

Pretty sunset as we were almost to Philadelphia:

DSC07120_zps5995a8d1.jpg

This was an 8 night cruise - not a "common" length. Most of us take the standard 7 night cruise.

Therefore, there was one menu that was new to me, since I have not taken anything longer then 7 nights since the new menus were introduced.

It is called Portobello,and I really really really liked it.

As promised, here is the menu.

DSC07080_zps44486bc3.jpg

DSC07081_zps294ab113.jpg

DSC07082_zps1c443fc1.jpg

DSC07083_zpsf48d0da3.jpg

Edited by Merion_Mom

And the extra charge items. One night, they ran a special on the Chops steak for $9.95. Our waiter was very careful to be complete: he mentioned that 15% additional gratuity would be added.

DSC07086_zps9e5450a0.jpg

Edited by Merion_Mom

And the extra charge items. One night, they ran a special on the Chops steak for $9.95. Our waiter was very careful to be complete: he mentioned that 15% additional gratuity would be added.

DSC07086_zps9e5450a0.jpg

We're just off the Legend and the Chops steak was $17.00. Yikes. :eek:

It's good to see that somewhere it still is $14.95. :)

Nice pics of wildlife and that new menu sounds yummy!

Welcome home, looking forward to cruising together again soon.

Hope leg clears up soon... glad to hear arm is better... I trust cold is gone (now that you're off the cruise).

I'm still trying to catch up at work, so I haven't had a chance to put together a photo review of our early December Oasis cruise... but that's definitely on my to-do list

xoxo

Hi, MM, thank you for your review :) hope your leg is all better now.

We were there on the first leg of your cruise - the New Years part - tons of fun. And we also went to Royal Palms when in Grand Cayman and I have to agree - it was VERY crowded.

We actually saw people still boarding as we were heading back AFTER the muster drill was over :confused:

This was our first cruise out of Port Everglades and we flew back from FLL on January 4th, which is BEFORE all the bad weather started and yet I have to agree - WHAT! A! MESS! :eek: our flight was delayed, causing us to miss our connection, we didn't get onto another flight til the day after.:(

Great info. We are leaving for the 8 day Indy cruise this coming Saturday. It seems you liked the post cruise tour? I could only get a 7:30 pm (!) flight back to Boston, so I'm not sure if we should do a tour and then just wait at the airport, or rent a car and drive around for the day. Anyone else ever have that much time to kill between leaving the ship and flying home?

When I've had later flights, I've rented a car one way from the rental car office that's close to the port (usually with a shuttle to pick us up from the terminal) and returned it at the airport later in the day. That way, we could spend our day leisurely doing whatever we wanted in the area for lunch and sightseeing.

Great info. We are leaving for the 8 day Indy cruise this coming Saturday. It seems you liked the post cruise tour? I could only get a 7:30 pm (!) flight back to Boston, so I'm not sure if we should do a tour and then just wait at the airport, or rent a car and drive around for the day. Anyone else ever have that much time to kill between leaving the ship and flying home?

When I've had later flights, I've rented a car one way from the rental car office that's close to the port (usually with a shuttle to pick us up from the terminal) and returned it at the airport later in the day. That way, we could spend our day leisurely doing whatever we wanted in the area for lunch and sightseeing.

I agree with Marc. With THAT MUCH time to kill before your flight, you are better off renting a car. They won't let you check in until 4:30, and the tour drops you off before 12:30. That would be yucky for you.

Rent a car, go on your own to the Everglades and/or the Gator Boys Show, go to the beach, go to Sawgrass Mills Mall, drive around Fort Lauderdale and see some of the swanky houses, get on the water taxi and see them from the water, etc.

:)

Edited by Merion_Mom

Sounds like a wonderful cruise(ok,a b2b),despite some setbacks.....Hope your leg is feeling better.

You're very fortunate to be able to cruise so much and enjoy the good life......

When's the next one??

Merion Mom - We are doing the 8 day in March. Will you please tell me which days are formal? Which day was the menu you photographed served?

Does anyone have a link to the other menus? We plan to make reservations in the steakhouse and want to decide which night to book, based on the dining room menu.

Thanks for the help!

Merion Mom - We are doing the 8 day in March. Will you please tell me which days are formal? Which day was the menu you photographed served?

Does anyone have a link to the other menus? We plan to make reservations in the steakhouse and want to decide which night to book, based on the dining room menu.

Thanks for the help!

2 & 6, i.e., Sunday and Thursday.

Tuesday

I know that many others have posted the menus or links to the other seven menus on other threads.

I can tell you that turkey dinner is ALWAYS on the last night menu. (because I avoid it like the plague). And lamb shank. (which is what I order. :))

is the diamond lounge used and or is there overflow somewhere?

Royal Caribbean's current method seems to be to look at the passenger manifest for the cruise and determine how many D & D+ will be on board and make a decision based on those numbers.

On my B2B, the entire Olive or Twist lounge was the overflow, with the D Lounge still open and active.

On other cruises, the overflow has been the Seven Hearts and Cloud Nine rooms.

Edited by Merion_Mom