No food off ship? and soda card

crackupforlaughs

Two questions, and I know I have seen partial answers to the food question, but not directly (or I've missed it).

1. Did I read on this board that food cannot be taken off the ship? I can understand produce (I've lived in agricultural states where imported fruits and veggies was an absolute no-no), but a sandwich, pasta salad or protein bar? What if someone in your party has dietary constraints and the food provided on the shore excursions doesn't fit the bill? For our upcoming cruise, the descriptions of the lunches provided won't cut it, and I get nervous eating in Central America (from a previous, really bad food poisoning experience). I'm sure the excursions are checked out by Princess (we're booking through the cruise line), but the dietary constraints of one of our party makes it so that the person will go hungry if we can't bring something with us.

2. A completely different subject: For the soda card, can it be purchased at any time, as in, four days into the trip so only for the three remaining days (for example)? I'm not sure I want one (the kids will), so I thought I would see if I could go without (I would only want it for the mocktails and tomato juice if one cannot get tomato juice without it.. although I recall I was able to at Horizon Court for the latter).

Thanks.

2. A completely different subject: For the soda card, can it be purchased at any time, as in, four days into the trip so only for the three remaining days (for example)? I'm not sure I want one (the kids will), so I thought I would see if I could go without (I would only want it for the mocktails and tomato juice if one cannot get tomato juice without it.. although I recall I was able to at Horizon Court for the latter).

Thanks.

No it can only be purchased for the full price regardless of how many days are left on the cruise.

They do not prorate it.

Two questions, and I know I have seen partial answers to the food question, but not directly (or I've missed it).

1. Did I read on this board that food cannot be taken off the ship? I can understand produce (I've lived in agricultural states where imported fruits and veggies was an absolute no-no), but a sandwich, pasta salad or protein bar? What if someone in your party has dietary constraints and the food provided on the shore excursions doesn't fit the bill? For our upcoming cruise, the descriptions of the lunches provided won't cut it, and I get nervous eating in Central America (from a previous, really bad food poisoning experience). I'm sure the excursions are checked out by Princess (we're booking through the cruise line), but the dietary constraints of one of our party makes it so that the person will go hungry if we can't bring something with us.

Thanks.

You can usually take food off the ship everywhere with some exceptions. United States is one of them. They will announce it and it will be written in the Patter, if in fact it is disallowed. No untoward instructions means you do what you want.

The only food that can be taken off the ship are things that are pre-packaged from the factory......like granola bars, rice crispy squares etc. No wrapped sandwiches or pasta etc. You may have to bring snacks from home as I don't remember seeing them on any Princess ship.

My Dad has a list of health issues and must have certain foods at certain times. We actually take packaged food with us on the cruise so he can have them on excursions. We bring packaged items such as granola bars, trail mix and crackers. Because they are in sealed packages I don't think that would be an issue.

My Dad has a list of health issues and must have certain foods at certain times. We actually take packaged food with us on the cruise so he can have them on excursions. We bring packaged items such as granola bars, trail mix and crackers. Because they are in sealed packages I don't think that would be an issue.

Granola bars and such are never an issue; I take them with me all over the world. But some people make sandwiches to take on shorex and sometimes it's allowed, other times not.

As others have said- stick to commercially prepared, prepackaged foods. We bring off Nutrigrain bars, hard candy and cereal boxes from the ship.

Many countries have food restrictions. Many ports have sniffer dogs and check your bags when debarking. Sometimes it is hit or miss. Othertimes everyone gets checked.

The only ports I've heard that have problems with factory-sealed foods were in Australia or that area of the world. Not a problem with other areas to bring unopened Power Bars or other similar items.

I had a problem on one all day excursion when lunch turned out to be pre-made sandwiches that the guide had picked up from a deli and kept in a cooler in the van until meal time. The others seemed to enjoy them, but I couldn't eat them because the condiments were already on them. I was starving until we got back to the ship. Since then, I made sure to pack a snack or two. Fortunately my last all-day excursion had a lunch stop at the diner, and we were given a choice of four options, including one for any vegetarians in the group.

As other noted, the soda card is not prorated. So you have to figure out how many beverages you may normally get and see if it's worth it.

You can usually take food off the ship everywhere with some exceptions. United States is one of them. They will announce it and it will be written in the Patter, if in fact it is disallowed. No untoward instructions means you do what you want.

Stick with Pia's advice.

Speaking as someone with a lot of food restrictions, the Patter for each port will say whether or not you can take food off and exactly what kinds of foods you can or cannot take.

One hint - bring ziploc bags!

Definitely not in New Zeaand and Australia. They have sniffer dogs that can detect food. (But food is as safe in Australasia as it is anywhere!!!!)

The soda sticker on the ships I have sailed is only sold the first day but i have heard of pax buying them the next day. The price is the same no matter when they are bought.

Again on all the ships I have sailed you are not allowed to take food off unless it is prepackaged from the manufacturer and not opened. Opened prepackaged food is not allowed back on the ship. The HC offers cereal in individual boxes, crackers sealed and other items. This includes the US ports. Many have dogs that search for open food items.

I was returning to the US and waiting on customs when a dog picked out a book backpack a young lady was carrying. The backpack had been used to carry a lunch at one time and had spilled. She had to empty it out for the inspector because the dog smelled the food. Moral: take a backpack/bag that has not had food spilled in it.

I was returning to the US and waiting on customs when a dog picked out a book backpack a young lady was carrying. The backpack had been used to carry a lunch at one time and had spilled. She had to empty it out for the inspector because the dog smelled the food. Moral: take a backpack/bag that has not had food spilled in it.

And/or clean it out real good afterwards.

Edited by Treven

That is simply not so. You can only take pre packaged food that are still sealed.

Anything else is a serious offence with a hefty fine.

You shouldn't give people advice based on if they didn't say it then its ok.

The soda sticker on the ships I have sailed is only sold the first day but i have heard of pax buying them the next day. The price is the same no matter when they are bought.

Again on all the ships I have sailed you are not allowed to take food off unless it is prepackaged from the manufacturer and not opened. Opened prepackaged food is not allowed back on the ship. The HC offers cereal in individual boxes, crackers sealed and other items. This includes the US ports. Many have dogs that search for open food items.

I agree. You may be able to purchase the soda sticker after day one but you'll pay full price for the entire cruise. It won't be pro-rated.

Chile is another country that takes agricultural products seriously. Very seriously. After disembarking the ship, they line up passengers and you put everything on the floor. A big dog with a handler and a couple of soldiers with big ass guns at the ready walk down each side of the line. I wouldn't want to be someone they catch.

I've disembarked at quite a few ports with huge trash barrels full of discarded food. Like "saxtdriver," I'd flown into Boston's Logan Airport on an international flight. A beagle and handler walked around us at baggage claim, stopping next to a young woman near me. She was asked if she had any food in her backpack and she said, "No." She was asked again, same answer. She was asked to empty her backpack and there was an apple from the flight she had forgotten about. They retrieved her luggage and she was led away by Agriculture officials.

My experience has been the opposite. Even in Ensenada they have a sniffer dog now. And, whether a country is pro-active in banning foods, I think it's common decency not to "do what you want" and bring in fresh fruits, vegetables and other items that can wreak havoc on another country's agricultural trade.

Prepackaged foods are generally allowed, but Down Under is much stricter than most countries. I had eaten a banana for breakfast while packing up my backpack and a sharp-nosed beagle smelled it. Moral: wash your hands before handling stuff you're bringing off the ship.;)

We were stopped once because we had had an apple in the backpack the day before and the dogs smelled it. During the search they discovered pre-packaged snack and seemed unsure whether they'd let us off with them. We had a 6 MO baby and a 3 YO toddler. They saw the kids and let us off. This was New Zealand.

That is simply not so. You can only take pre packaged food that are still sealed.

Anything else is a serious offence with a hefty fine.

You shouldn't give people advice based on if they didn't say it then its ok.

Not everywhere, which in fact is what I said. Before you chastise me, reread it. And read your shipboard instructions.

Personally I wouldn't want to take off food. People are so rude with their trash, dumping it wherever they are. In Mexico, after being told not to take off food, I saw a woman in our tour crack open a hard-boiled egg, eat it, and left this hell behind.....and this was outside a church! So even if there aren't any warnings, it is not a do as you want situation. So if you do choose to take prepackaged food, please dispose of the wrappers in a bin or in your tote.

... Opened prepackaged food is not allowed back on the ship...

I haven't seen this. If your bags are being searched, I think it's to make sure you're not bringing weapons or booze on board. But never heard of someone's partially eaten granola bar being tossed.

Last June, I was on a cruise from Rome that covered Greek Islands and a few Italy stops, etc. Truthfully, at none of the ports were any dogs sniffing for food etc. As the basic understood rule is "no food from cruise ship" I purchased prepackaged low sugar, low fat snacks- just enough for the days that we would be off ship on excursions-- I had to put in carry-on for the airplane from JFK to Rome-- no problems with that-- (I made endless phone calls to double check.)

Anyway--there were two port stops that thank goodness I had my emergency baggy with peanut butter cup, crackers, dried fruit,etc all pre packaged. Anita

Opened prepackaged food is not allowed back on the ship.

I haven't seen this. If your bags are being searched' date=' I think it's to make sure you're not bringing weapons or booze on board. But never heard of someone's partially eaten granola bar being tossed.[/quote']

I agree Cruisin' Chick. We bring all sorts of open stuff back on board. DW never finishes her trail mix, dried fruit or her treasured chocolates on an outing on shore. They always come back on board and heaven help the staffer who would try to take them.

Thanks everyone! Well, I guess a box of Costco protein bars is in the cards. This will be for the W. Caribbean trip -- Cozumel I'm not worried about (looks like Playa Mia has lots of generic mexican food which is probably pretty safe... quesadillas, chips, fish tacos -- many years ago we had the best quesadilla on Isla Muejeras... didn't know a quesadilla could taste so good)!). The excursion description describes a lunch before we get to Playa Mia (it's a catamaran/snorkel trip). but at least we have Playa Mia as backup.

And, at Tabyana in West Bay Roatan it sounds like there is a selection. It's just our excursion to Lamanai in Belize that is a long day where we will just have what is offered on the tour... from what I understand. Will bring the protein bars for that.

Boo on the soda card not being prorated... guess I will need to judge just how important a mocktail is to me!

I wouldn't worry too much about eating food off the ship as long as it's either thoroughly cooked or fruit that's "intact." I stay away from any water, ice, ice cream, etc. and drink only bottled or canned drinks (without ice.) I've been to Mexico, Central and South America (as well as elsewhere ) many times and never had a problem by following the above.