What to do in Nassau, Bahamas...

mulberrylane

Take a 3 dollar land taxi to Atlantis. You can tour the Aquarium for a fee or walk around the grounds for free. We have been to Nassau three times, first trip was to Atlantis, second trip was a walk to the straw market, a quick turnaround and back to the ship, the third visit we stayed onboard and enjoyed the peace and quiet.. happy cruising

Here is a great free tour I found on this site. I went to Nassau in November and did this walking tour. Not off the beaten path at all, easy to accomplish in 2 - 3 hours leaving you time to shop or hit up a beach or whatever else you may want to do. I always prefer historical/cultural things that I can ONLY see in one place as opposed to paying a lot of money to go to some tourist trap.

http://www.zydecocruiser.net/nassau_walking_apr_2006.htm

Do go to the library and get a guidebook, and do go the ports of call boards. There are so many neat historical places in Nassau, if you're interested in that sort of thing. We got a map at the port and walked to the Queen's Staircase. Along the way, we stopped at monuments and read historical markers. We stopped in at the public library, which is a fascinating building that was originally a prison! At the entrance to the Queen's Staircase, a gentleman took it upon himself to give us a history of Nassau that was really interesting. Many people just walked on by, so don't worry if you don't want to stand and listen. We walked up the staircase, and then walked on to Fort Frederick, which has sweeping views. After that, we walked back down to the waterfront, and went to Junkanoo Beach. I have read conflicting reports about the beach, but we found it to be good enough for a couple hours. Not the prettiest beach we've ever been to, but fine.`The cost of our afternoon in Nassau? $5 tip for our "tour guide", $2 for bottled water, $6 admission ($1 per person) to the fort, and $10 for a beer and a rum punch at the beach. Not bad for an excursion for 6 people, I would say!:D

Take a 3 dollar land taxi to Atlantis. You can tour the Aquarium for a fee or walk around the grounds for free. We have been to Nassau three times, first trip was to Atlantis, second trip was a walk to the straw market, a quick turnaround and back to the ship, the third visit we stayed onboard and enjoyed the peace and quiet.. happy cruising

We take the $3:00 (or $4?) ferry to Atlantis, it is a fun "tour". The Ferry boats are a short walk from the ship.

Check out the fancy shops and yachts, have some great conch fritters outside by the water at Atlantis. I Get all of our shopping done (right by the port), TONS of stores and an insane indoor straw market, then an easy walk back on the ship to enjoy the peace and quiet.

Edited by SMerritt

We have been to Nassau at least 8 times in the past 2 years.

1. walk to the free beach Junkaroo you can stop at McDonalds or Dunkin Donuts if you want

2. Straw Market - know that you have to learn to say "just looking" often and firmly

3. attend the port talk on the ship and then go to all the stores and get your "free" items. have gotten free gem stones --collected enough over time to make a necklace & earring set - free necklaces from EFFY -- not great but nice enough to put away to use as an extra gift to someone -- you can buy matching earrings fro $10.00.

4. check out the stuff in Cariloha store...love the bamboo towels I bought there -- and they ship them

5. we just did the Blue Lagoon -- it was well worth the price. nice lagoon area, ocean side nice, included a lunch...you do have to pay extra for the dolphin encounter, bounce park and bounce aqua park ($15.00 for the two parks)

6. just walk in and out of the all the stores and admire the jewelry....feel free to haggle if you see something you like -- we have gotten great deals

Have fun!