"Once per cruise seafood buffet?"

Tarpeian Rock

Anticipating our upcoming first O cruise (on Riviera), I was re-reading a review of Riviera in Cruise Travel from 2012. In the review there was a comment on what they described as a lavish "once per cruise" seafood buffet featuring sashimi from a 176-point tuna, a Parisian oyster-shucker, Iberian ham for the non-seafood folks, and other wonders.

I haven't seen any comments posted here on such an event, and I was wondering if that was an early practice that has been discontinued, if it was something special for the cruise that was reviewed, was perhaps specific for only some itineraries, or even if by some chance this event continues today. Thanks!

Anticipating our upcoming first O cruise (on Riviera), I was re-reading a review of Riviera in Cruise Travel from 2012. In the review there was a comment on what they described as a lavish "once per cruise" seafood buffet featuring sashimi from a 176-point tuna, a Parisian oyster-shucker, Iberian ham for the non-seafood folks, and other wonders.

I haven't seen any comments posted here on such an event, and I was wondering if that was an early practice that has been discontinued, if it was something special for the cruise that was reviewed, was perhaps specific for only some itineraries, or even if by some chance this event continues today. Thanks!

We also have that issue of Cruise Travel! :D

The Buffet which they described was part of the huge public relations push which Oceania devised to introduce the Riviera (and her kitchens) to the Travel Community.

That said, depending on the port schedule of your cruise, there may be a Brunch Buffet in the Grand Dining Room, and Oceania really does those up in a grand style.

There is not a brunch buffet on every cruise. There was none on my recent Caribbean cruise. It is always on a a sea day so you need a cruise with enough sea days to make it possible.

The ones I have experienced on Oceania have not been good (my opinion). We have gone in to the GDR, looked at the selections, and opted for Waves every time. The mass market lines like Celebrity do a far better job with lavish brunch buffets. IMO this is not O's strong point.

We had a Brunch buffet on Marina today...and it was outstanding,

The pastries were astounding and the selection of breakfast delights and luncheon fare were certainly up to par. I am guessing a sea day/holiday (New Years Day) was the precipitant.

Besides the buffet, we were presented with a menu of breakfast entrees and luncheon sandwiches... I had some amazing eggs benedict..with Jamon Iberico sliced for me. :cool:

Can also attest to the excellence of the brunch buffet in the GDR on a sea day. Many tables laden with gorgeous things and still able to order special items off the menu (Eggs Benedict for me). I still remember the salmon en croute from that buffet! BTW this was on Regatta in September 2013 so fairly recent.

Our recent Nautica cruise included a grand buffet, and it included the best dish I had from the entire cruise, a cold strawberry soup. Wish I could have gotten the recipe in an amount I could have prepared at home!

Our recent Nautica cruise included a grand buffet, and it included the best dish I had from the entire cruise, a cold strawberry soup. Wish I could have gotten the recipe in an amount I could have prepared at home!

I love their cold soups :D

Whenever I see it on the GDR menu for lunch that is where you will find me LOL

The Mango one is also good

I have tried other recipes for the strawberry soup but it is never as good as Oceania's

Lyn

Lyn, I asked about what made it so luscious. Among other things (yogurt, ginger, etc.) it included their hand-made ice cream. I thought I had found Nirvana until then - and I realized why. The cold soup was part soup, part dessert! That's probably why I enjoyed it so much!:p

Lyn, I asked about what made it so luscious. Among other things (yogurt, ginger, etc.) it included their hand-made ice cream. I thought I had found Nirvana until then - and I realized why. The cold soup was part soup, part dessert! That's probably why I enjoyed it so much!:p

+1 I agree

They could serve it as dessert also ...I would have 2 helpings :D

OMG I would never fit in my clothes if I did that :eek:

I need to pace my dessert intake & those milkshakes etc....

Desserts hold little appeal for me, yet another reason why those miles of slightly stale fondant in the Celebrity Buffets don't impress me a whit...

But a good cheese is another matter entirely, and if you let the Restaurant manager know that you are a cheese man (or woman), those Oceania buffets can be nirvana, as they trot out the good stuff.:p

Desserts hold little appeal for me, yet another reason why those miles of slightly stale fondant in the Celebrity Buffets don't impress me a whit...

But a good cheese is another matter entirely, and if you let the Restaurant manager know that you are a cheese man (or woman), those Oceania buffets can be nirvana, as they trot out the good stuff.:p

Blue de Gex was a new favorite for me one year on Regatta. Hope to have it again this year.