Red eye flights

Oldgoat61

I posted a similar question recently and got about 30 people telling me not to fly in the day of the cruise, regardless of how much easier or cheaper it is. a couple of them even started getting an attitude when I said I was still thinking about what to do. SO even though it was not my best option I decided to listen to the experts and I booked a flight for the day before the cruise, not the morning of.

Some "attitudes" on these boards can border on "know-it-all"... Best advice is to listen to experiences offered and then make your own decision based on your comfort level and circumstances...I have made the redeye flight (many many times) LAX-FLL arriving very early day of cruise..and so were many on those flights with me.;):)

Edited by Ashland

Some "attitudes" on these boards can border on "know-it-all"... Best advice is to listen to experiences offered and then make your own decision based on your comfort level and circumstances...I have made the redeye flight (many many times) LAX-FLL arriving very early day of cruise..and so were many on those flights with me.;):)

Agree completely. If you have all the time (and money) in the world go early. From here in Seattle a day flight to MIA often arrives at 6PM or later so basically you would be paying for a place to sleep for one night without an opportunity to see anything in Miami (assuming there is anything you would want to see, which there isn't for me). I usually get some sleep on the plane and a nap after boarding and then early to bed and early to rise and I am on the ship's time zone. I would rather spend the extra money on wine and tours :)

Robbie

It will make the first day of your cruise very tiring and you would enjoy it more if you had a good night's sleep. We have only done it on the homeward leg where it didn't matter.

Huh? I didn't know red-eyes existed for westbound travel?

Huh? I didn't know red-eyes existed for westbound travel?

Sure they do. I'm on a red eye LAX to PPT in April. Given all of the options into an airport with very limited service, it was the best choice for us.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

Sure they do. I'm on a red eye LAX to PPT in April. Given all of the options into an airport with very limited service, it was the best choice for us.

Sure, but this post was about west coast to a Florida airport. Unless I am missing something, you can't really take a red eye from an east coast airport to SFO or LAX.

I don't claim to be the oracle of all knowledge about time zones, but think you really don't have a choice but losing a day or two flying to Polynesia or Asia.

Sure, but this post was about west coast to a Florida airport. Unless I am missing something, you can't really take a red eye from an east coast airport to SFO or LAX.

I don't claim to be the oracle of all knowledge about time zones, but think you really don't have a choice but losing a day or two flying to Polynesia or Asia.

The closest thing to a red eye from the east coast of the US to the west coast of the continental US is leaving around 9:00 pm and arriving around 1:00 am. You are correct though, if we are talking about east to west only within the continental US, there are no true red eyes.

Thanks for all of your responses! We routinely fly in the day before...but with the cost of flights now days I was considering a red eye. I was concerned about jet lag, and with the responses I got I will probably fly in the day before.

I don't want to take any undo risk, or end up like a zombie the day of the cruise. :D

I just love it when people say its no big deal. Until it is a big deal. It only takes once and then you hear the wining and crying. I work at the Phoenix airport, my wife is a flight attendant, and my son work on the ground crew for a airline. people not making there flights happen all the time and everyday. There are 101 things that can go wrong. The big question is can and are you willing to miss the 1st couple of days of your cruise. Face it, something goes wrong can you afford the big ticket to fly to the 1st port your ship stops at. your 5 day cruise will now be a 3 day cruise. and maybe 1000$ dollars more. And DONT get mad at the airline and the people that work there. They had nothing to do with it. You tried to save a few bucks and the first or the 1 out of 10 it didn't work. I hear about it EVERYDAY. One case last week, People left home good and early, accident on the freeway, not them. Traffic backed up, made it to the airport in somewhat good time. Flight overbooked. Last 5 people that checked in had to be bumped. They were 2 of them. Yes they cried and cried that they had to make the flight, but the airline said we are sorry! They would put them on the next flight. That would get into Ft. Lauderdale about 3:30. But it didn't get there till 3:45. after getting there luggage and getting to the port, they did get some nice photos of the ship sailing away. 1200 dollars and 2 days later they got on the ship in St. Thomas. The rest of the cruise was still bad because of the time missed and extra money spent. I bet the next time, if there is a next time they go a day early. On the same line why buy insurance, you might not ever need it, but the one time you do you will be glad you had it. going a day early is just insurance. DONT TAKE IT OUT ON THE AIRLINE EMPLOYEE. its not there fault! Hope you save a ton. BOB:mad:

Has anyone ever flown from the West Coast to the Florida on a red eye flight? If you did, did you have any problems....would you have rather arrived the day before rather than the morning of? We will be taking a cruise the end of March out of POM.

My son flew from LA to Orlando on the red eye for our cruise in July.