What to Pack?

Sunbreez

What type of clothing would you suggest I pack on a West Coast Wine Country cruise in the early part of May? Ports include Santa Barbara, San Fran., Astoria, Victoria and Vancouver. I understand weather could be very cool and foggy in San Francisco and ports north.

I would think pretty much the same as you are (will be) wearing at home! as you are on a large body of water yourself.

Weather patterns in California have been particularly unpredictable these past few years. You might have days that are a pleasant (warm) surprise... or not. The average temp for May for Santa Barbara is a few degrees warmer than the average high for Port Dover, and it is cooler the farther north you go, but not by alot because the Pacific acts as a big buffer... but of course more chance of rain/clouds in the Pacific Northwest.

I myself would pack corduroys and layered tops, but coming out of an Ontario winter, you may be able to "strip down" more comfortably. I remember growing up in the Adirondacks, when it got to 60F in the spring we'd be in shorts and tanks!

Also, as it gets closer, watch Weather Underground and the Weather Channel websites every day or two to modify your packing list based on predictions and patterns. Yet that is no guarantee -- I watched and even made a table of the weather in all of our recent ports on Panama Canal trip, decided there was a good chance of an all-day rain or significant thunderstorm activity so we carried our full-length raincoats in addition to ponchos in the bottom of daypack AND umbrellas. We saw NO RAIN, but the umbrellas at least came in handy against the sun at Puerto Chiapas!

31)&ship=Norwegian Star

For me it would be golf shirts and a medium/lite jacket. Maybe a sweater. You shouldn't encounter any really "cold" weather. The way this year is going, you might want to bring sun screen.

You will want things you can layer. It might start at 42 but hit into the 80's in the afternoon, particularly in the microclimates around the Bay Area.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

Edited by ducklite

It can be foggy the entire way from San Diego up the coast… When I grew up at the beach in SoCa, we'd be fogged in until about 11am, then have the fog start rolling back in around 1pm all the time in May/June. There is a term for it - "June Gloom."

You're probably going to encounter two different types of weather/temps. The ones on the ship and close to the shore can be cool and a little biting. The ones when you go inland to Napa, etc., can be definitely warmer. You will need to smartly layer for a possibility of a 20 degree difference at any time of the day. When I lived in NoCa, it could be 50 degrees, foggy and windy in San Francisco, but drive up to Napa and have it 75 degrees and sunny…

A true windproof jacket (not just something labeled "windbreaker" because it is lightweight) should be a must. After that, layer up those polo shirts, maybe a long-sleeve mock Tneck (layer under the polo), a sweater vest, whatever pants you are comfortable in (jeans, cords, khakis). Even a scarf that you can wrap around your neck is good to have! This would be my recommendation for either men or women on the trip. Leave the skirts/dresses for onboard - if it's windy, bare legs are NOT fun...

Edited by slidergirl