Oasis Dry Dock?

I would be really surprised that they needed an additional generator, unless it is a small one for in port. The 3 big 16 cylinder engines produce almost as much power as the 3 azipods need for full power, and one 12 cylinder would provide hotel power. Add one more 12 for maneuvering, and you still have a spare engine for maintenance. I could see changing a 12 for a 16, but unless they decided to shoe horn a 8Mw unit in for port use, I would be surprised that it's an additional unit.

With all the new work being done and additional cabins added, does that now mean the overall GRT or GT has also increased? Not sure if there is a correlation. Thank you.

The Oasis of the Seas is being updated now in Rottendamn for the new Dynamic Dining and I read that they are taking away the Chapel. Where would service be held? Don't you think this is important to have?

I've seen services held in various lounges around the ship.

Edited by clarea

With all the new work being done and additional cabins added, does that now mean the overall GRT or GT has also increased? Not sure if there is a correlation. Thank you.

In theory: yes, it would increase.

GRT is about internal volume, and doesn't account for open deck and balcony spaces. So things being adjusted in any way in the internal space doesn't change GRT. However, assuming that the original number wasn't "fudged", there are 6 new suites being added to former balcony spaces, so this space would now become internal volume, and add to GRT. Though, based on an assumption of ~400sq' cabins, this would add less than 200GRT.

The Oasis of the Seas is being updated now in Rottendamn for the new Dynamic Dining and I read that they are taking away the Chapel. Where would service be held? Don't you think this is important to have?

The chapel isn't very big, and is more practical for a small wedding than religious services for a ship the size of Oasis. What I hear (not to be considered as accurate), most people choosing to have a wedding on Oasis prefer to have it not in the chapel, but elsewhere on the ship or in a port of call.

The chapel isn't very big, and is more practical for a small wedding than religious services for a ship the size of Oasis. What I hear (not to be considered as accurate), most people choosing to have a wedding on Oasis prefer to have it not in the chapel, but elsewhere on the ship or in a port of call.

The Oasis Class Chapel is much larger than Voyager and Freedom class versions.

291gv9v.jpg

Freedom Class Chapel

anhh84.jpg

Edited by Tyler80

Does anyone know what time Oasis will be leaving Southampton on the 15th? The port shipping schedule website says 23:59 but I'm thinking that's quite late? Usually it's between 4pm and 8pm. It will only take me a few minutes to drive to the beach to see her go past, and I'd like to catch her if I can! :)

In theory: yes, it would increase.

GRT is about internal volume, and doesn't account for open deck and balcony spaces. So things being adjusted in any way in the internal space doesn't change GRT. However, assuming that the original number wasn't "fudged", there are 6 new suites being added to former balcony spaces, so this space would now become internal volume, and add to GRT. Though, based on an assumption of ~400sq' cabins, this would add less than 200GRT.

GRT is an archaic term no longer used since the '80's. The proper term is Gross Tons (GT). Yes, if the previously unenclosed balconies were enclosed into cabins, the GT will change, but the actual change is difficult to estimate because there is a multiplier applied to the actual volume that varies from ship to ship. There will be a change in Net Tonnage (NT) because I saw that some previous crew space was being converted to "cargo" (passenger) space.

Does anyone know what time Oasis will be leaving Southampton on the 15th? The port shipping schedule website says 23:59 but I'm thinking that's quite late? Usually it's between 4pm and 8pm. It will only take me a few minutes to drive to the beach to see her go past, and I'd like to catch her if I can! :)

She's leaving at midnight. Or 11:59 to be exact. The explanation was Basically because she needs so much room in the channels, etc to turn, they want to do it latebwhen there are no other ships, large or small, around...who knows if that's really why. But they aren't lying to us about the time.....that's when she's going.

She's leaving at midnight. Or 11:59 to be exact. The explanation was Basically because she needs so much room in the channels, etc to turn, they want to do it latebwhen there are no other ships, large or small, around...who knows if that's really why. But they aren't lying to us about the time.....that's when she's going.

Apparently, she has to make a 3 point turn! I find it strange as I thought with azipods she can effectively spin on an axis.

What date does she leave exactly? I thought the first embarkment for the B2B was on the 14th, but I have been wrong before!

I just heard on another thread that RCCL has been fined about $750,000 for not following rules. I'm wondering whether they will release her to sail. She leaves tomorrow evening for Southampton and leaves Southampton on 10/15 at 11:59 PM I was scheduled to sail on her, but had to cancel. :(

What date does she leave exactly? I thought the first embarkment for the B2B was on the 14th, but I have been wrong before!

She leaves Rotterdam on the 14th - no idea what time as we are not onboard at that port, but in enough time to sailing for Southampton, then leaves Southampton 11:59pm Oct 15th....It is NOT a B2B cruise, it is one sailing across the Atlantic with 2 embarkation dates/ports...

Found this schedule.

EN:

Cruiseschepen in Antwerpen on location - in Rotterdam

On Tuesday 14/10/2014 the team of Cruiseschepen in Antwerpen will head to Rotterdam in the Netherlands. On that day the largest cruise ship in the world, Oasis of the Seas, will be docked in the city. During the past two weeks the ship underwent a large overhaul there. At 17:00h the ship will depart Rotterdam for Southampton, after which the Oasis of the Seas will set sail to the United States.

We are able to take a short look onboard this floating resort, so be sure to keep an eye on our blog and facebook-page for photos and info about this gigantic ship!

For the people who want to go and see the ship themselves the hours can be found below:

•· 05:00h: departure at Keppel Verolme (Ship yard)

•· 07:30h: arrival at Cruise terminal Rotterdam

•· 17:00h: departure and afterwards turning at Waalhaven

•· 18:15h : passage at Schiedam

•· 18:30h : passage at Vlaardingen

•· 19:15h : passage at Maassluis

•· 19:45h: passage at Hoek van Holland

The hours are subject to change.

Edited by denamo

She leaves Rotterdam on the 14th - no idea what time as we are not onboard at that port, but in enough time to sailing for Southampton, then leaves Southampton 11:59pm Oct 15th....It is NOT a B2B cruise, it is one sailing across the Atlantic with 2 embarkation dates/ports...

Thank you. Apparently I went a bit bran dead there. I meant to say TA, but must have been secretly dreaming of a B2B cruise!:eek::D

I just heard on another thread that RCCL has been fined about $750,000 for not following rules. I'm wondering whether they will release her to sail. She leaves tomorrow evening for Southampton and leaves Southampton on 10/15 at 11:59 PM I was scheduled to sail on her, but had to cancel. :(

Hm. Indeed, RCCL is fined for not having labor permits, violation of working hours, underpaying..

I am not sure whether this due to a overregulated country/government or a shrewd foreign flagged cruise line. Well, we won't get such ships for maintenance back soon this way, job well done Dutch officials. :rolleyes:

Went to the shipyard website, Keppel Verolme, and after poking around found Oasis is scheduled to leave at 7:30 on the 14th. This will be at 12:30 A.M. on the 14th from where I live (central time zone), and earlier for you. :)

Thanks! So she will be leaving during the night tonight for us?

Found this schedule.

EN:

Cruiseschepen in Antwerpen on location - in Rotterdam

On Tuesday 14/10/2014 the team of Cruiseschepen in Antwerpen will head to Rotterdam in the Netherlands. On that day the largest cruise ship in the world, Oasis of the Seas, will be docked in the city. During the past two weeks the ship underwent a large overhaul there. At 17:00h the ship will depart Rotterdam for Southampton, after which the Oasis of the Seas will set sail to the United States.

We are able to take a short look onboard this floating resort, so be sure to keep an eye on our blog and facebook-page for photos and info about this gigantic ship!

For the people who want to go and see the ship themselves the hours can be found below:

•· 05:00h: departure at Keppel Verolme (Ship yard)

•· 07:30h: arrival at Cruise terminal Rotterdam

•· 17:00h: departure and afterwards turning at Waalhaven

•· 18:15h : passage at Schiedam

•· 18:30h : passage at Vlaardingen

•· 19:15h : passage at Maassluis

•· 19:45h: passage at Hoek van Holland

The hours are subject to change.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by denamo; Today at 03:58 PM.