Airfare US to Canada

sambamama

I have booked a Vancouver inside passage to Alaska that leaves May 14. I need a RT from Hartford to Vancouver. I am visting friends before and after and plan on being gone around 2 weeks. I have flexibility on when I leave and come back. So far Air Canada is the best for both prices and flights. Any insight about when and how to book?

You might also look at Seattle, then budget around $100 for the train or bus round trip from Seattle to Vancouver. Often you can save money even with the added surface transport cost. Takes longer, of course (around 4 hours from Seattle airport to downtown Vancouver.)

I forgot that I will have to change planes and clear customs since there are no non stops. I can change in either Montreal or Toronto. What is a suggested connection time-one where I won't be crazed trying to make my connection? I thought about getting global entry, but I would have to go to Boston or NYC and that will take me a day.It will cost me more in time to get it than I will lose in transit and I don' t fly enough internationally to be worth it.

I forgot that I will have to change planes and clear customs since there are no non stops. I can change in either Montreal or Toronto. What is a suggested connection time-one where I won't be crazed trying to make my connection?

Depending on time of day and what other flights have just come in needing to be cleared can impact the required time a lot. I fly often through both and would suggest a minimum of 2 hrs. Also take a look to see what flight options might be available to you after your chosen connection just in case. Compounding the problem is the fact that you have to "claim" your luggage when you clear customs which can cause additional delays. You drop your bags off immediately after clearing customs but it just adds that extra step of needing to collect them prior to moving to your connection.

As far as flights themselves, be sure to check out ita matrix. You'll see the various flight options and it can help you choose the one that fits your needs best.

Edited by RickT

Personal experience alone, having cleared Canadian immigration several times in both cities, I prefer Montreal. Seems a bit quicker and easier to me.

I also find Montreal a little quicker at times but not much difference in fact.

The one advantage of Toronto is Air Canada has on the order of 16 flight a day from Toronto to Vancouver (basically one on the hour and sometimes also on the half-hour). Several are wide-body. Basically if you miss your connection, they will put you on the next available flight and there are a lot of flights.

As you leave the customs hall, there is a sign pointing you in the direction of the connections baggage drop. That is where you drop off your bags again, and the agents there will verify you will make your connect and rebook if needed.

Edited by em-sk

I have booked a Vancouver inside passage to Alaska that leaves May 14. I need a RT from Hartford to Vancouver. I am visting friends before and after and plan on being gone around 2 weeks. I have flexibility on when I leave and come back. So far Air Canada is the best for both prices and flights. Any insight about when and how to book?

Another idea is book on Allegiant to Bellingham Washington which is about 1 hour to Vancouver. I'm sure there are buses to Bellingham just allow enough time at the border. Amtrak stops in Bellingham and can take you right into Vancouver on the Cascades Train in about 2 hours with the border crossing. Either way plan to arrive the day before the cruise leaves.

From Seattle you can take Amtrak. One way rental cars in Vancouver can be pricey due to international taxes etc.

Edited by travelplus

Another idea is book on Allegiant to Bellingham Washington which is about 1 hour to Vancouver. I'm sure there are buses to Bellingham just allow enough time at the border. Amtrak stops in Bellingham and can take you right into Vancouver on the Cascades Train in about 2 hours with the border crossing. Either way plan to arrive the day before the cruise leaves.

From Seattle you can take Amtrak. One way rental cars in Vancouver can be pricey due to international taxes etc.

G4/Allegiant don't serve anything east of AWA/Phoenix from BLI/Bellingham. However, as the OP posted, flights into YVR are similarly priced to flights into SEA. Why would you then spend an extra 1/2 day travelling then from SEA to Vancouver?

Having flown AC from PVD, clearing and connecting through Toronto to YVR, I can only say CDG was less stressful. Even though we had a little over two hours between flights, the transfer and re-screening process was too far too long. When we arrived in YVR, our luggage was nowhere to be found and AC's computer system was off line. Luckily we were staying in Vancouver for 3 days prior to boarding the ship and Sutton Place's concierge kept calling AC for luggage updates. At midnight, a knock on our hotel room door - luggage.

I've only flown through Montreal City [Porter Air] so I'm not familiar with ease of transfer from their main airport. However, given what I experienced in Toronto, never again.

Darcy

Edited by WatchHill

Thanks for all the helpful advice. My friends are picking me up at the airport and dropping me off. For me, it will be easier to fly directly to Vancouver and the prices were about the same. The JFK nonstop sounds great, but the logistics and expense to get there make it unfeasible since I am 2 1/2 hours from JFK. I am 30 minutes from Hartford and I have friends who will drop me off and pick me up. Sounds like my best plan is to try to fly both ways connecting in Montreal. And if I have to fly in Toronto and get stuck, I hear the Maple Leaf lounge is great!

Thanks for all the helpful advice. My friends are picking me up at the airport and dropping me off. For me, it will be easier to fly directly to Vancouver and the prices were about the same. The JFK nonstop sounds great, but the logistics and expense to get there make it unfeasible since I am 2 1/2 hours from JFK. I am 30 minutes from Hartford and I have friends who will drop me off and pick me up. Sounds like my best plan is to try to fly both ways connecting in Montreal. And if I have to fly in Toronto and get stuck, I hear the Maple Leaf lounge is great!

Hello neighbor! Have you checked flights from Boston also? Logan is just a quick ride down the pike, easy on and easy off for those to drop you. I am looking for the same route for September and have found Boston rates better then BDL. :)

Thanks. I don't have anyone to drop me at Logan and there is no reasonable shuttle. I could drive but I will be gone two weeks and the parking is high. I thought about a free park at a hotel, but unless the price is significantly less, it is easier to fly from.Bradley. I find it amazing there are no reasonable shuttles to Logan, JFK or Newark.

I booked my flight and have one last question. I bought a Tango fare without paying for seat selection. Do I run a risk of being bumped? I am flying on saturdays-may 10 leave at 7 am out of Hartford and connecting in Vancouver- returning may 24 at 8 am from vancouver to Hartford and connecting in Vancouver.

I booked my flight and have one last question. I bought a Tango fare without paying for seat selection. Do I run a risk of being bumped? I am flying on saturdays-may 10 leave at 7 am out of Hartford and connecting in Vancouver- returning may 24 at 8 am from vancouver to Hartford and connecting in Vancouver.

Someone will likely disagree with me on this.... However.....

I fly a lot on Air Canada (over 35k miles pretty much every year for the past decade). There is always the possibility of a flight being oversold however Air Canada has tended to be doing a better job as of late with their yield management software and it is quite rare that I am on a flight where at boarding they need to bribe someone to take a later flight. I see it more on Delta and United. if overbooked they will keep upping the incentives offered to get volunteers to take an alternative flight long before they deny someone boarding.

You also have the advantage your traveling on a weekend where there is a bit less business travel. They never oversell business class and at the gate if they need more space they will move some of their frequent travelers up to business class to open up seat in economy if needed.

I would do the online checkin 24 hours out and select seats then (should open 24 hours before the departure of your last flight i.e. the Montreal-Vancouver flight).

Edited by em-sk

Should also mention with Air Canada....

When you do your connection from the US to Canada in Toronto you need to pickup and walk your bags through customs, just past the passport check.

When you return Vancouver to Toronto to US. In Toronto you follow the overhead signs with the US flag to US customs transfer, that leads you to a area with double glass doors the agent checks your boarding pass and lets you in, you wait a few minutes there until your name apears on a computer screen indicating your checked luggage has been passed by US customs (it is then automatically transferred to your connecting flight), you then go through US customs agent in Toronto and then off to your departing gate. Your flight will then arrive at a domestic gate in the US. The US per-clearance is the reason Air Canada is able to fly into many of the smaller uS airports.

Edited by em-sk