Recent (December, 2013) Port Everglades Embarkations.....

sail7seas

Could some who have embarked HAL ships in Port Everglades in the last month comment about how smoothly their embarkation went? Would you mention approximately what time you arrived at the terminal and how long until you were checked in?

Thanks. :)

Could some who have embarked HAL ships in Port Everglades in the last month comment about how smoothly their embarkation went? Would you mention approximately what time you arrived at the terminal and how long until you were checked in?

Thanks. :)

Arrived at 11:00 AM, processed in ten minutes, seated and on-board 11:35. Room ready and bags arrived @ 12:45.

Not sure about December cruises but we arrived today at 11:30 sailing on eurodam. Line outside terminal about 20 minutes. After we got through security went straight on and to room. We have Neptune suite so we went right on but I did not see very many people waiting. Our cab driver said after 11:30 is best time to arrive on days a lot of ships are here...like today.

Nov 3 -- arrived at pier at 11:05 -- pier #21.

No one seemed to know what they were doing. They were assigned numbers to wheelchair people regardless of you cabin category.

They couldn't find our ID cards.

I had to remind them that PS category goes first -- which was confirmed. My DH had to push my wheelchair as the lady couldn't handle the wheelchair on the ramp.

We finally got on at 11:45.

On.Maasdam, arrived at 10am - no lines at all. Got a number 1. Waited and waited. No announcements. Finally at 12, an announcement was made that the ship arrived back late and the disembarkation was late. At 12:15, they started with the handicapped passengers. They called my number about 12:30, we all started down the hall only to get stopped by and help up again. Got onboard arounnd 12:45 and was told we could not go to our cabins yet. I did not mind the delay but an earlier announcement would have been useful. My one suitcase came around 4:30, the other not til 7. I think the cabins opened up at 2.

Dec 28th. Arrived at port and parked our car at 12:30pm. We were in our room 4183 on Westerdam 1:20pm. Could've been 10 minutes less if we didn't have to wait for people having their pics taken...

Jan 4th. We were in our room at 8:45am when our "color code" was called. We started up the car at 9:20am. We were amazed how fast that went. :)

Edited by Guinness1000

Speaking of disembarkation, it's not a day at the beach right now in Port Everglades. The actual process onboard was smooth, although, around 0930, the lines/calling of groups were /was held up for 10-15 min on orders of CBP because "the lines in the hall were backing up"

When you arrived "in the hall", actually Pier 22, and after retrieving your luggage, there were four CBP agents working two lines, one for U.S. residents, the long one, and the other for non-U.S. residents. The "slinky" process to be seen took approx. 35-40 minutes.

Once outside, if you didn't have the HAL transfer bus, private/your own transportation, or a helicopter, you were in for a challenge, I kid you not. The taxi line, to the left, had at least 200+ former NADM pax in it and moved as slow as molasses with one, two, sometimes, three taxis rejoining the line after dropping off pax at Celebrity Silhouette, across the street at Pier 24. We lucked out after about an hour in line when a min-van entrepreneur came walking down the line offering to take FLL pax there for $11 pp

Speaking of disembarkation, it's not a day at the beach right now in Port Everglades. The actual process onboard was smooth, although, around 0930, the lines/calling of groups were /was held up for 10-15 min on orders of CBP because "the lines in the hall were backing up"

When you arrived "in the hall", actually Pier 22, and after retrieving your luggage, there were four CBP agents working two lines, one for U.S. residents, the long one, and the other for non-U.S. residents. The "slinky" process to be seen took approx. 35-40 minutes.

Once outside, if you didn't have the HAL transfer bus, private/your own transportation, or a helicopter, you were in for a challenge, I kid you not. The taxi line, to the left, had at least 200+ former NADM pax in it and moved as slow as molasses with one, two, sometimes, three taxis rejoining the line after dropping off pax at Celebrity Silhouette, across the street at Pier 24. We lucked out after about an hour in line when a min-van entrepreneur came walking down the line offering to take FLL pax there for $11 pp

That doesn't sound good. Sounds like now you should arrange for a transfer in advance - whether it be with HAL or private?

That doesn't sound good. Sounds like now you should arrange for a transfer in advance - whether it be with HAL or private?

It would certainly help! Bear in mind that this was on Sunday with eight cruise ships in port; other days might be different

I'm a Swedish citizen, my husband is American. We both went through the same line. Took less than one minute to check both of us...

I'm a Swedish citizen, my husband is American. We both went through the same line. Took less than one minute to check both of us...

Which line did you use? Foreign or U.S?

Copper10-8

Thanks for the info re: debark, Copper.

Doesn't sound so great. :( We always take a taxi but may rethink for our next cruise if things don't change.

Edited by sail7seas

Which line did you use? Foreign or U.S

I think there were 3 lines through customs that day. As mentioned, US and non US citizens were not separated. We had Americans in front of us and a Finnish family behind us. We all went through the same line. They didn't even look at my Green card. In fact it was all so fast my husband asked the lady "That's it? C'mon, I at least want a stamp in my passport". She laughed and stamped our passports. And it still took less than a minute for both of us. :)

I think there were 3 lines through customs that day. As mentioned, US and non US citizens were not separated. We had Americans in front of us and a Finnish family behind us. We all went through the same line. They didn't even look at my Green card. In fact it was all so fast my husband asked the lady "That's it? C'mon, I at least want a stamp in my passport". She laughed and stamped our passports. And it still took less than a minute for both of us. :)

You went through on SAT 04 JAN correct? Things were different on SUN 05 JAN

Very smooth. Times are approximate, but we arrived about 10:45 a.m., checked in (no line) and were seated with #2 Boarding Cards by 11:00 a.m. Boarded the Noordam about 11:45 a.m. Cabins were ready; met our cabin stewards, put a few things away and went to lunch in the MDR. Being a Monday, Port Everglades wasn't as busy as on the weekends - just two other ships sailing out behind us that afternoon.

Which is what I just did... Called HAL and arranged transfers from the ship to FLL on 2/2/14. We have an 11:45 flight and I don't do well with the stress of trying to get a taxi hoping to make a flight. It would be a total downer after a wonderful cruise. The price of HAL transfers is $19 per person - well worth it:).

Thanks Copper10-8 for reminding me that I had planned to get transfers. Our cruise is 15 days away and HAL's website states that you can arrange transfers up to 14 days prior to your cruise. Whew!