What does it sound like?

wpgcycler

What sounds will I hear from my cabin (balcony, deck 11, starboard side, near the aft, Celebrity Reflection)? Can you hear the sea? Can you hear the ship's engines? No idea what to expect having never cruised before. Thanks.

This is sort of like asking what you hear from your car. There's background sounds and then there are sounds that depend on the weather and sea conditions.

On deck 11 you wont hear an engine per se. You probably will hear the cabin A/C in terms of mechanical sounds. And you'll hear creaking - which is the cabin walls and furniture, not the ship coming apart. Really. But depending on how rough the sea is the creaking is louder or softer.

You may well hear the wind and if the sea is rough you can hear the water hitting the ship. But up where you are I doubt you'll hear it that much.

Strangely other than noting it is "different" I can't really say what we hear other than it has the ability to put us both to sleep after the first night. I'm a "I never sleep well the first night anyplace, even my first night home after being gone a while" person, and my husband just doesn't sleep I think due to excitement the first night. But after that - whatever sounds the ship makes are very soothing, not jarring.

No engine noise, but you can hear the waves breaking from the ship passing through the water (very soothing). You may from time to time hear noises from the pool decks (music, etc.), but for the most part you will hear nothing.

Location on the ship with balconies - in particular which side - means very little in terms of sound. Certainly the higher up the somewhat more muffled the sea sounds will be, but possibly the closer you will be to pool deck sounds, mostly in the day. (unless there is a party of some sort going on - but they usually end the noise by 11 PM).

The fresh sea air and quiet - in particular at night - are what we like about the balconies the most.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Thanks to both of you. I'm sure it's not easy to describe, but you've both been helpful. I'm not the type who typically shakes presents to see if I can guess what's inside, but I'm very excited about this "first" and truly can't wait to find out for myself!

Thanks to both of you. I'm sure it's not easy to describe, but you've both been helpful. I'm not the type who typically shakes presents to see if I can guess what's inside, but I'm very excited about this "first" and truly can't wait to find out for myself!

..and if you are like most of us, it won't be your last.

Enjoy your cruise!

You will hear "Swish Swish whoosh whoosh" :D

Or you might hear "hoooooooonk" (the horn on the ship)

Or you might hear "..aaaaahhhhh" (the sound of you relaxing knowing that you are going on a great vacation)

Or perhaps "When is my next cruise?" on the day you need to get off.

When there are no other noises to drown it out, you will always hear a "swishing" sound as the ship moves through the water. If it is at all rough, you will hear a creaking and groaning as the ship flexes slightly and the interior panels shift position slightly. If there is a high wind, you may hear it moaning and whining through topside fittings. It will never be absolutely quiet on a ship at sea.

On one of my cruises I often heard my neighbor's TV turned up full blast. I guess he wanted to hear the news while sitting on his balcony (with his door open).

Point being, you might hear just about anything. :-(