Fun for 19-year-old on Independence?

I don't have any specific experience with that particular age so I can't say for sure what the cut off age is on the organized teen activities.

And, of course, everyone is different. Does she meet people easily or is she too shy? If she is good about meeting people then no doubt she will find somebody to hang out with that has similiar enough interests. Or, does she mind spending time alone? She can always find something that interests her and begin them alone but will ultimately find others with the same interests.

Does she enjoy hanging out with you? If so, then there will be plenty of time to enjoy things together like Dinner, Ports, shows, etc.

Does she like to swim, play basketball, miniature golf, ping pong, video games, hang out with other teens in the teen room, rock climb, work out, ice skate? There is plenty to do to keep a teen busy if they like even any of these things.

How about just sitting by the pool to sunbathe or read a book or listen to music?

I am sure I am forgetting many things but the bottom line is I have read a lot of reviews and have many of my own experiences and can't recall one time when I heard of a teenager being bored to death on a cruise.....although I am sure it has happened but is not the norm. It really just depends on her and you know her better than any of us on Cruise Critic.

I ask you the questions about being shy and how she interacts with you because my son (15) is very shy and likes to hang out with us most of the time rather than meeting new people. We went on Oais a few months ago and I was worried he would be bored hagning out with 5 adults but to my surprise he had a nice mix of doing his own thing, finding others to do things with, sleeping in and still hanging with us a lot (but not too much). It worked out great for everyone and he really enjoyed the trip.

Have a great cruise.

she will not be allowed to participate in any club programming. there may or may not be organized get togethers for the 18-20 crowd, depending on the time of year

she will be in limbo for the most part although she can participate in all adult activities.

When we last cruised with our boys, our older son was 18 and it was his first cruise without being in a teen program. He was concerned about the lack of organization to meet up with others, but he hung out in the sports area, met up with other "kids" his age, and ended up having a great time.

I think they may have some meet-up events for the 18-20 crowd listed in the Cruise Compass to help give them a certain time to congregate and find each other. Once they've met up in person, it's easier for them to hang out through the week.

Edited to add... I just checked some Cruise Compasses that someone else shared for Independence of the Seas, and I didn't see any 18-20 meet-ups listed. :(

Edited by Daghis

We're taking my 19-year-old niece on Independence. Will she be too old for the organized teen groups? Does anyone have experience with this age cruiser? I want to be sure she's not bored with her "old" (50s) relatives! Thanks for any advice.

We took two 19 year old in October. No clubs needed. They were SO busy, we told them, just join us for dinner. Don't worry, she won't be bored.. Just enjoy your time together....

I think it depends on the group on the cruise. My 19 year old son went with us this summer on the Enchantment. The "events" for the 19 year olds were mixed in with the young adults/singles/ and everyone else. There was never a way for them to mingle and know who was with who.

I even suggested to the cruise director that they have the "singles" group together, but they said that didn't work?

My son has always loved cruises, however, this was the first time he could not attend the organized club. He had fun, however, would have liked to meet more people his age.

We just got off Indie in December. Did mot take our 19 & 21 year old but my DW & I both said they would have loved this cruise. Of course they would of had each other to hang out with. We are an active family so the parents can go well into the wee hours hanging out with our kids.

In your case I would be concerned letting my 19 y/o daughter adventure on her own on the ship and ports. Habe you comsidered having a cllse friend of hers (that you all get along with) join your group? Would almost be certain that they would have a good time then.

After 18, you are considered to be an adult, and will do whatever the adults do (except drink, on most cruises!). Young adults will find other folks of their age, at the pool, or sports deck or arcade, nightclub, etc.... She will be able to gamble on all but Alaskan or Hawaiian cruises. She will be able to drink in ports.

I would imagine she'll find others to hang with!

I'm 18 and on my Allure cruise in summer 2013, I had no trouble finding friends! Of course I was already with a friend from back home so I didn't really need to find more friends but we went to the club during one of the first few nights and met some great teens around our age! I'm not sure about Indy but Allure had many activities geared for everyone in the 18-20 age group. RCI knows about this age gap and definitely tries to give us the best experience we can!

Maybe go to your sailings Cruise Critic meet & greet with her and possibly someone her age will be there or someone will be traveling with teens she could meet. If they have this on Indy, have her go to the "Battle of the Sexes" game show and I'm sure she will find friends there!

Have fun!