Grand Caymen or oasis of the seas?

Nope :D Definitely Freedom Class...we are doing a B2B cruise on the Independence. The first one being 6 nights and the next being 8. nights
Everyone else on this thread has been discussing the ship Freedom of the Seas. If instead you mean Freedom-class ships then you needed to state that. The Independence cruise that goes to Grand Cayman is NOT a longer cruise, it is the 6 day one.

For the OP as far as Freedom or Oasis, you can't go wrong. Since it is your first cruise, I'd say Freedom:

1) It fulfills your desire get back to Grand Cayman.

2) You save Oasis class for a "move-up" on a future cruise.

3) Freedom is almost always less expensive than Oasis.

enjoy whichever

Thom

Oh wow thanx for the replies :)))

Maple Ridge , this is what we thought originally , to go with freedom and explore all the ports and enjoy the ship too, but now we think it might be impossible to explore all 4 ports as much as we would like to because of the little time we have on each port, and think we should just stick to the nicer ship.?!

Regarding the ports, the Freedom itinerary is very easy to enjoy ports the full day: Labadee especially is super easy becuase you're right there, Cozumel is SUPER easy to navigate with your own car or a $10 5min taxi rdie to the beach, Falmouth there's nothing to see unless you're on an excursion so once you book one you'll see, and Cayman also an excursion would be great (Stingray City, Turtle Farm, Beach $6 taxi, island tour) there is tons to do. The same goes for Oasis (minus Cayman)

Oasis vs. Freedom? Really, can anyone go wrong with either?? No way! :p I feel that if you have now chosen Oasis be aware I feel you will not get to enjoy and experience all activities on the entire ship to their fullest, especially with a 4 year old in tow. The Freedom would be much easier I feel, and especially for a first timer. You will come off Oasis wanting more... and so you'll book again anyways :D

Have an awesome vacation!

Saying Oasis class is a "nicer" ship is an interesting way to put it. Freedom is the 2nd largest cruise ship in the world, so it's not like it's a choice between the Oasis and a crappy cargo ship. :)

Going with either Freedom or Oasis is a win-win scenario. :)

Technically Allure is the largest over Oasis by 3 inches or 5 cms. Sorry cruise geek coming out.:)

Either way it is a win-win.

Edited by A&L_Ont

We had to make the same decision when choosing our honeymoon cruise. I had cruised before, but my now husband had not. I decided to save money and book Freedom and I don't regret it at ALL! Plus, if I remember correctly, Oasis had one less port (but I could be wrong). It was an AMAZING trip.

Everyone else on this thread has been discussing the ship Freedom of the Seas. If instead you mean Freedom-class ships then you needed to state that. The Independence cruise that goes to Grand Cayman is NOT a longer cruise, it is the 6 day one.

For the OP as far as Freedom or Oasis, you can't go wrong. Since it is your first cruise, I'd say Freedom:

1) It fulfills your desire get back to Grand Cayman.

2) You save Oasis class for a "move-up" on a future cruise.

3) Freedom is almost always less expensive than Oasis.

enjoy whichever

Thom

^^^^ This.

We had to make the same decision when choosing our honeymoon cruise. I had cruised before, but my now husband had not. I decided to save money and book Freedom and I don't regret it at ALL! Plus, if I remember correctly, Oasis had one less port (but I could be wrong). It was an AMAZING trip.

You are correct - Oasis / Allure Western Caribbean has one less port of call, which - to the indecision of the OP - is Grand Cayman. Other than that, they share the same itinerary as Freedom Western Caribbean.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Geeze...harsh crowd :o I thought that OP meant Freedom CLASS and not specifically Freedom of the Seas...we are all human and are bound to make a mistake at one point or another.

With that being said, everyone is going to have different opinions and someone is always going to argue over what another person said, I always see it happen on here...but what it all comes down to is what is going to make OP and their family happy, and I'm sure whatever they decide they will have a great time. :D

It really comes down to your personal choice.

One thing I noticed not mentioned here was the possibility of GC port being cancelled due to sea conditions. If you choose the Freedom because of GC and it is canceled, you would be super bummed.

Good luck, which ever you choose, have a great cruise!

I would go with the Freedom for a first time cruise. We took our kids on their first cruise on the Freedom when they were 3 and 4 and they LOVED it. It will give you more ports (plus GC), is less expensive, and there is still a ton to do, but it's less overwhelming than Oasis/Allure for first time cruisers. It is a great ship.

I would go with Oasis as she is great for the young and young at heart. The other small thing to think of is, and it doesn't happen often, how would you feel if Grand Cayman was cancelled due to the fact they could not tender. You state it is the main reason why you would choose Freedom over Oasis. Just a thought to throw into the mix.

Andrew

An important point indeed. A personal choice as many others have already said. My opinion is that Grand Cayman is one port call, while you have the ship for the entire week. Oasis is fabulous and I'd pick Oasis for that reason. I pick ship over itinerary any day though, so that's my bias in the interest of full disclosure!

Oasis. Haven't sailed but everyone says its quite an experience.

Grand Cayman. Been to 3x. Can honestly say I don't like it. Flat. Doesn't have a Caribbean feel. Seven mile beach is overrated. Nice but I've seen better. Also i hate tender ports. Shopping is good. I'd skip it.

I've sailed Freedom. It was nice but I'd go with Oasis since there's much more to do. Makes up for grand cayman.

Good luck.

Technically Allure is the largest over Oasis by 3 inches or 5 cms. Sorry cruise geek coming out.:)

Either way it is a win-win.

Excuse me, Andrew, but I believe that would be 2 inches! :D

And here I thought we'd get through one Oasis Class thread without the 'size matters' discussion. :D What was I thinking? :o

[quote name='Dave85']An important point indeed. A personal choice as many others have already said. My opinion is that Grand Cayman is one port call, while you have the ship for the entire week. Oasis is fabulous and I'd pick Oasis for that reason. I pick ship over itinerary any day though, so that's my bias in the interest of full disclosure![/QUOTE]

You got it Dave. That is exactly what I was getting at when I made that comment first thing this morning. GC is nice but I too would choose the ship over ports. Ports can always change, but the ship will be the same.